Thursday, September 10, 2020

Cooking, Smoking and Critter Cam

I can't tell you how happy I am every morning when I go out and retrieve the critter cam.  The weather has been cooling off and the coffee clatch kids have been meeting up quite often.  It seems the rabbits never sleep, but wander around the water looking for tidbits.  Unfortunately for all the critters, there has been little to no rain, meaning little to no food.   These guys however, seem to have found the secret, as they are fat and happy! 

 

Here are the two dove babies, only two weeks old and almost completely grown.  Sadly, the desert is not always nice.  I woke up one morning to find feathers spread across the yard.  Apparently something was very hungry because the babies disappeared.   I'm guessing owl or roadrunner.

 

Time is getting short, so I've been packing up and trying to get organized.  There are post-it notes on every available table and door to remind me of things I need to do.  I check my phone every ten minutes because it's snowing in Colorado right now, making me a nervous wreck.  If it starts to snow when I'm there, I'll be gone in a flash.  Driving in snow is not in my DNA, just like cleaning and vacuuming.

I threw a chicken on the BBQ so the puppies and I would have something to eat while on the road.  I swear, that's the easiest way to cook a whole chicken EVER.  I thank George Yates every time I cook one.

 

I also thought I might try my hand at smoking salmon.  As it turned out, that one is not in my wheelhouse.  Oh it was edible, but too dry.  I smoked it too long at too high a temperature.  I would much rather have it sauteed in a cast iron skillet anyway!!

 

Back to the videos, this young coyote was very hesitant and it took me awhile to figure out why.  The water had just turned on, filling the tank.  The noise and water movement made him very wary.  So much so that he decided not to drink.  In a video from another wildlife fan across the valley, the young coyote would not drink because of the rain drops hitting the water.  I think if you double click, the image will be larger and easier to see.

 


What about the snake you ask?  Well ....... Snake 3, Nancy 0.  I was all set up for a confrontation, whereupon I would fling it out the open gate, but he never showed.  I'm hoping he was harassed so badly by the broom of the night before that he decided to get the heck out of dodge.

Just to ensure that theory, I lit up the back yard like a freeway.  They are nocturnal hunters and don't like light.  I haven't seen him since, knock on wood, and hopefully WON'T again!!  Everyone else is more than welcome ... except those scorpions and centipede things. 

 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. That "circle of life" sure sucks sometimes! Poor little guys! Your chicken looks so yummy, and to think the puppies get it! We are loving your critter cam. Glad your snake appears to have left, hope it stays that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hate that part about nature, but I guess everyone has to eat something. Cooper has to share the chicken with me! LOL

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with Shirley your chicken looks yummy! We bought property on a bluff with lots of trees/brush. We've talked about purchasing a camera to see what goes on there. We plan to build so we are not at the lot except during the day to work, but we, or the neighbors have seen deer, racoons, fox, coyote and other critters. Can't wait to be on site - but I do not look forward to finding a snake. I'm with you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri you should definitely get a game camera. It's amazing to me how many critters are there that I never see during the day.

      Delete
  3. Hey, if you didn't see the snake, then YOU won that round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping you are right Dave!!! Sorry for all the smoke in your area right now.

      Delete
  4. I think Dave's right. I suspect it finally decided enough is enough, and although you list yourself as Nancy 0 in the battles, you may have won the war. I hope so. And geez, that is a good looking chicken. Thanks to George Yates, I am the very happy owner of a WeberQ. But I've looked back at his recipes on his blog, and cant find one for a whole chicken. Yours really looks good. Not sure when you're hitting the road, but happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, the chicken couldn't be more simple. Rinse it off, dry, rub with oil and add your favorite spices. Heat the Q on high for about 30 minutes, then put the chicken on the grill and turn down to medium low. 90 minutes later you've got a beautiful cooked bird. It's worked for me every time. I always do test it with a thermometer, needs to be about 165-170.

      Delete