Thursday, April 16, 2020

Put On Your BIG GIRL BRITCHES!!!

You knew it would happen.  I was just hoping NEVER would be my luck.  Believe it or not, I actually won a HUGE $5.00 on the Safeway Monopoly game.  I decided to hit the store and collect my winnings.

As I started out the driveway, I spotted a stick laying off to the side.  Not paying attention because I was looking in the rear view mirror to be sure the garage door closed, I THOUGHT I ran over the stick.  Wait ..... there's no stick in my driveway.  I backed up, stopped and got out.

OMG OMG OMG  It's a rattlesnake!!!  I ran back to the house as fast as I could and grabbed my camera.  I didn't even change the settings, thus the blurry picture.  As I got closer, it actually looked like maybe I DID run over it.  But after doing research on the internet, it possibly looks funny because it hasn't eaten all winter.  Who knows.
Close your ears Doug ..... my plan was to drive over it again to be sure it would not be around to bite my puppies, which would kill them.  That's funny ..... it didn't try to slither off, nor did it rattle it's tail AT ALL.  I decided to call on my Master Critter Caretaker Dan, who carries a big shovel.  He's used to these things!
I raced back inside and breathlessly came back with my phone to find it had disappeared.  RATS!!!  At a little over three feet long, I wasn't going off into the bushes looking for him.
It couldn't have gone far, I wasn't even gone ten seconds.   That's when I spotted this big hole beside the driveway.  I bet he went down that hole.  Maybe he even lives there.  I put a huge rock over the hole, hoping he doesn't come out.

In the meantime, I posted a picture on my desert Facebook group for identification.  It's a red western diamondback rattlesnake, not as venomous as the green Mohave, but definitely can kill you.  It's also known as a Coontail.  Why?  Because of the white and black markings on the tail making it look like a raccoon.  Who knew?  I just know I want it GONE!!!
So now my heart rate goes up every time I open a door.  I look everywhere before I take even one step.  I'm exceedingly nervous about the puppies in the back yard.  They are never allowed out without me looking first, but now I have to walk the entire yard.  Even my biggest big girl britches are not big enough for rattlesnakes!!

This might help a little.  I purchased a box of patio lights on sale for $14.  With all this spare time, I decided to put them up.  Gosh .. I need TWO boxes.  After an hour on the internet, I found a matching box for $40.  Of course I ordered them.
The next morning I was hunting for a bowl in the kitchen, and what should I find but the SECOND box of lights I bought.  I put those up and will return the ones I ordered.  I'm hopeful all these lights will help keep snakes out of the yard.   Yeah I know, good luck with that!!  At least the yard is fenced in, but I'm sure they can find a way.
So much for Wednesday's excitement.  I had snake nightmares all night.  I never wanted to go to sleep when I was 4-5 years old because I dreamed of snakes crawling all over me every night.  No idea where that came from.  I'm hoping this is not going to be a repeat!!!

By the way, when Dan and Patty got here, Dan proceeded to tell me about the rattlesnake he caught in a rat trap UNDER his house.  Patty kicked him in the leg.  He forgot he wasn't supposed to tell me that little tidbit.  Maybe California isn't so bad after all!!




12 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't have any problems with your snake. They are good for keeping the Rodent population down. Believe it or not California has just as many Snakes as Arizona.
    Be Safe!

    Its about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably do, but they are not in MY neighborhood. The last snake I saw in California was 60 years ago!! LOL

      Delete
  2. It's A Western diamondback they also have a white band around the back of the tail unlike the Mojave which does not have it
    but it is a lot darker
    They're part of the pit viper family because they use a sense of heat to find prey you actually should've left him alone because he was probably after mice and rats rodents
    The diamondback has a hemotoxic
    The Mojave has a neurotoxin which is the worst of the two
    Are used to go out in the desert and catch both type for the hepatology lab at ASU they used to make a vaccine anti-venom
    They actually don't make any anti-venom anymore
    And what they do have is a synthetic it cost about as much is your car
    I also believe what they use is a blood pressure medication which slows your heart rate down
    The old Navajo Indian remedy is to go find a shady spot sit down and take a long nap the whole premise is to slow your heart rate down
    Also for your dogs they make a product where by the vet give the dog a shot
    So if he gets bit later on it diminishes the effect but I believe that's for the diamondback only
    This is there coming out of hibernation season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... it's that time of year, and I am normally not here. I just don't want to see any more of them!!

      Delete
  3. At least with the lights on you can probably see the snake(s)! Now had that been me, I would have run over that snake, run over it again and again and again and...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think alike Dave. That was my plan ... but by the time I got back with my phone, he was gone. Next time (and I hope there isn't a next time) I'll run over him first, THEN take the picture!!

      Delete
  4. The lights are very pretty. I have no comment about the snake, no advice, nothing. Well except not sure I would have gotten close enough to take a picture even with my zoom lens. Congratulations on your win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I was probably ten feet from him. They won't chase you but I wasn't taking any chances!!

      Delete
  5. My mother always preferred a hoe for rattlesnake or water moccasin killing. Too close for me. I liked a 22 bolt action rifle, loaded with a little shell, clear plastic with little teal blue pellets inside. I can't remember if it's called bird shot or rat shot. Anyway, I didn't have to worry about ricochets if shooting onto concrete. If you have a good aim, it's not a problem. I only killed snakes that came near the house. Out past the front gate, they were free to come and go. I have some sympathy for them. The diamond backs anyway. They were hunted horribly when I as growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just gave me the chills Judith!! In my life I have only killed two. All the others I saw while in horseback and didn't want to get bucked off, so we just gave them distance!!

      Delete
  6. I live on the west coast of Florida and over the years I have had several encounters with rattlesnakes. One that would rattle you (pun intended), was a ground rattler found inside my house in Melbourne, FL. Wife went to the kitchen to get a drink at 2 a.m. and a "ribbon" on the floor moved. So at 2 a.m., I am on my hands and knees using a yard stick to get a 3 foot pigmy rattler out from under the buffet. The really scary part was two months later. I moved a dresser in my daughter's room and found his shed skin there, so he'd been in the house for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH!!! No ... no that doesn't sound good AT ALL! Good heavens, how did it get in? I definitely would have had a heart attack!!!

      Delete