Saturday, April 4, 2020

Hold That Thought .....

We interrupt the Ghost Town Trail to bring you this exciting news.  There's nothing better than meeting new RV friends along the byways and trails of the old West.  When I found out Doug Laning was parked at my all time favorite Empire Cattle Ranch, I was determined to make the trip out and say hello.

I travel these roads at least once every time I'm in Tucson, but had no idea there was actually places you could park, as in BLM land.  All I knew was nearby ranchers kept cattle here during the winter and spring.  
I can definitely see why.  The open expanse offers great feed for cattle and an amazing landscape to ride horses.  
I was a little surprised that the roads were not in better shape, with potholes everywhere.  People drive their RV's back here?
Then I came to Cienega Creek.  It wasn't the water but the five inch jump up the side of the concrete.  I'm not sure I have enough nerve to drive my rig down here.  I figured there would be a matching drop off on the other end.  No big deal for my Jeep, but OUCH in my rig.
Up the hill, I was surprised to find six or seven rigs parked all around the area.  This is WAY cool!!  Then I saw it ..... the White Lion .... parked about halfway up the hill in a perfect spot.  And there sat Doug and Yuma.  I've been reading his blog for several months and wanted to meet the guy who likes to hike as much as I do.  
Gosh ... he even dressed up real spiffy!!  I think he was a little surprised I actually showed up though.  After all, it isn't often a perfect stranger drives all that way to say hello.  Yuma greeted me with great enthusiasm.  What a sweetheart he is!!

We spent the next two hours talking like old friends while I scratched Yuma from head to toe.  In no time I got a nice sunburn from the wind and rays.  Really, I need to get sun a little more often!!  In the blink of an eye, it was time to head back home.  How time does fly when you're having fun.

You definitely need solar out here, although Doug said some people just ran their generators.  I've never thought solar would be cost effective for me because I'm not out in the boonies much.  I'm rethinking that now ... I would LOVE to park out here for a couple of weeks.  And Quartzsite!!!!!
On the way back home, I stopped to check out these beautiful flowers.  These would look very nice in my back yard.
Apparently a wild flower of some kind.  I'm going to the nursery to see if I can find some seed.  
Or maybe I should go take a look first.  Yesterday I found this magnificent fairy duster right out my front door.  I guess I won't be buying any more of those!!
I had a great time Doug.  Thanks for your hospitality.  It was nice to spend time with someone who loves animals as much as I do!!  That Yuma is the BEST!!

On my way out I drove through the camping area and was surprised to find two HUGE rigs, at least 40 footers.  I'm talking the fancy painted immaculately waxed rigs I would never expect to see here.  No doubt now, I'll be back with my motorhome next year.

I'll return to the Ghost Town Trail tomorrow.  Until then, I hope you have been blessed with toilet paper!!







18 comments:

  1. Love that you went out to visit Doug, know he and Yuma were happy too! It is so beautiful out there where he is. Love the blooming flowers on the way home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful is right. I could have sat out there all day long!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Nancy, I don't normally comment, but wanted say I love your blog. Every morning I have to check in. Thanks for taking the time to write and post pics.

    Cheryl from North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cheryl!!! I'm so happy to hear you read my blog. It's a labor of love and how I meet many RV folks. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  3. Always nice to visit fellow bloggers. When you read someone's blog on a nearly daily basis you know everything about them so you are like old time friends.
    Be Safe and Enjoy going Solar. It can pay for itself.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it Rick. You really get to know them and they feel like family.

      Delete
  4. I agree with today's commentaries.
    You are a delight to know by blogs and I'm sure the same in person. I enjoy your travels very much. We are done traveling due to my husband's health, so you are the next best thing. Keep up the great adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you for reading. I can't tell you how many new people I've met from writing this blog. It makes life so much more interesting!

      Delete
  5. Nancy I recently started following your blog as well and I am thoroughly enjoying it. We had the pleasure of meeting Doug earlier this winter and now follow his blog as well. Aren't RVer's the nicest people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are. Nice to meet you too and thank you for reading. Mostly it's about my misadventures. I hope to some day meet up with you too!!!

      Delete
  6. With so many places 'shut down' now, the full-timers and snow birds are resorting to being in the desert a bit longer than normal. It is a shame, just glad they have not shut down BLM lands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... the BLM did shut down everything with a "campground". The open lands are still open, like around Quartzsite. I hear there are lots of people parked out there, but water and garbage have become a problem.

      Delete
  7. Glad you made it out there and back safe and sound. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit.
    We knew you could park out there but where not sure about taking the Stinger "B" to far in but there are some places closer to the "edges" that we are seriously thinking of next time we are in that area. It is beautiful out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Doug can make it, YOU can make it. Really, the road is okay, it's just very slow due to the potholes. I imagine when the stream dries up they fix the concrete and make it more easily passable.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for coming all the way down here to visit this old geezer. I look like I've been in the boonies a little too long :)) I thoroughly enjoyed our visit and the time went by way too fast. I'm late reading blogs today because I too was out ghost town hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha ... it's addicting, looking at the old towns!! LOL Don't shave the beard ... it's YOU!!

      Delete
  9. It sounds like a nice meet and greet with Doug. He is indeed a one of a kind, a wonderful guy and a treat to spend time with. We're glad too to get to know him this past winter. And Yuma is a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete