Monday, April 6, 2020

Happenings At The Ranch

Here's a quick catch-up of what's been going on at the ranch while I've been working to download those pictures.  My tree which appears to now have roots in Texas instead of Africa, is blooming like crazy.  That may be why I'm sneezing for ten minutes every morning.
The weather has been so fabulous I even went out and mowed the postage stamp I call my back yard. This little guy came out to say hello.  He must have had a close encounter of the roadrunner kind because half his tail was missing.
I'm happy to report Mr. and Mrs. Dove have again set up housekeeping in my smaller palm tree that is blooming like never before.  I'm sorry to say she is a terrible nest builder.  Sometimes even her eggs fall out through the bottom.  Hopefully this year she will hold it together.
With all the blooming going on, the orchid has held it's own.  Every single little bud blossomed into gorgeousness.  
Here's another one I've never seen before.  Every one of my cactus are going crazy with blooms.  It's certainly not because "I" have done anything.  I'm VERY curious to see what these turn in to.
Now THIS part of the day is all Doug Laning's fault.  He keeps showing pictures of those hot dogs he's barbecuing.  I truly don't eat hot dogs, but they looked so GOOD!!  Although there wasn't a great supply at the store, I saw Ball Park dogs.  If I'm going to eat one, these are the brand.  

Well, not exactly.  When I went to throw one on the fire, I noticed I didn't see the words ALL BEEF.  Oh good grief ... these are CHICKEN AND PORK!!!  NOOOOOOOOO!!
It's all in the details I guess, and that little detail completely escaped me.  I barbecued it until it split open.  Maybe if it's brown enough, it will taste okay.  The bun was another story altogether.  I got the last package of Kings Hawaiian hot dog buns, which I threw in the freezer.  

After wrestling with it for five minutes, I finally got ONE bun out and into the microwave to thaw.  Wait .... they aren't even cut!  That's weird, I've never seen that before!!  I grabbed a knife and slit the side allowing half the top to fall off in my hand.  What the heck?  

I guess I'm old fashioned, assuming the cut would be on the SIDE.  Instead, it was on TOP, right down the middle.  Who does that?  It made it rather hard to hang on to all the pieces, but it did taste pretty good, followed up with a big handful of potato chips.  Who knew a hot dog could be so much trouble!
Here's the good part.  If I get tired of them, being they are chicken and pork, Cooper can have the rest.  He said YAHOO!!
The rest of the afternoon I spent slaughtering my tall palm tree.  No one has ever cleaned off any of the leftovers from the dead branches.  I didn't have a clue, I just knew it looked terrible.  You can find anything on the internet.  I looked it up, watched a video and proceeded to work on it for over an hour.  

What an amazing plant, the way the leaves wrap around and around before becoming a palm frond.  Come to think of it, it was the perfect task for Palm Sunday.

Although you are supposed to use a box cutter, all I had was a hand saw.  It worked pretty well.  Only ten more feet to go!!  I'll go get a box cutter first ... it will make it much easier.  
By the end of the day, I was roasting with not a pair of shorts to be found.  I went outside to the rig, opened the bedroom slides and looked in very drawer, desperate for something cooler to wear.  

Well here it is folks ... a skirt.  I took the picture because you'll probably never see me in one again.  Bad picture too, but there is only one long mirror in my house and it's over the tub.  Who in the world puts mirrors over the bathtub!!  No one wants to see that!!
There's more exciting news in the wings, but tomorrow we'll take a tour of Fairbank.  Only 1500 miles to get there according to my phone GPS.  I better pack a lunch.





12 comments:

  1. The doves used to build their nests on our Awnings.Lots of lost eggs.
    The reason for using a Box Saw is that it has more Teeth per Inch making for a smoother cut. That is why they re used by Furniture Builders. The tree looks good. Keep it up and you'll be able to open your own landscape business.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the solitude.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find a nest on the side of my rig one time. Sadly, it had to go. I'll check into that box saw.

      Delete
  2. Oh you are too cute in your skirt! Love denim skirts! The hot dog looks amazing, I may have to have that for dinner. One of the grandsons doesn't like hot dogs but if you put no bean chili on it he loves them, go figure :) Saw my first lizard yesterday out the front door, so I went out the back! They always win! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other nice thing about hot dogs is how cheap they are!! These guys are pretty timid. If they see you, they are gone.

      Delete
  3. About a month ago a tree service came through and cut back all the palm trees here in Condo Land. Well, our neighbor came to our door yesterday and handed us a few palm leaves, I am sure she pulled them out of the rubbish trailer. BTW: she had on her mask, stood 6+ feet away except to hand me the palms. I feel sorry for so many older people here who live alone, can't fellowship with others...sad sad time it is. ps: mom is doing well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear about mom. How nice of your neighbor, even if they did come from the trash. I have to say it's pretty hard to be completely alone and not even have a grocery store cashier to talk to!! I talk to the dogs!!

      Delete
  4. The tree is beautiful and the orchid is flourishing. Life is good. We like Nathan's all beef hotdogs. Yum....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathans are better, but alas, there was none to be found. Next time I see them, I'll stock up. LOL

      Delete
  5. I hope you don't kill yourself using a box cutter on a ladder cleaning dead fronds off a palm tree. I have a habit too of being in a hurry and grabbing groceries without reading the labels:)). Buns with the slice on top is a new one for me too. What do you mean a handful of chips? I eat the whole bag:)). Some cowgirls wear dresses. I think Dale Evans did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's right ... Dale Evans DID wear skirts!! Ummmm yes, I ate the whole bag. They are small and only half full of chips.

      Delete
  6. Doves are terrible nest builders, I'm surprised that their young can survive to carry on the family lineage....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. I've found lots of broken eggs below their nurseries!! LOL

      Delete