Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Everyone's Opinion Counts

Thank you for all the kind words about my rant.  As I read it, I didn't realize I was ranting.  I'll try to be more polite in the future.  I just think people should be able to have differing opinions and still get along.  I imagine some of my opinion comes from how I was raised.

I was born on a cattle ranch.  It was a tough life.  There was no grocery store just down the street.  We literally lived off the land, raising all our own food, milking the cow, making butter, raising chickens and turkeys for eggs and meat.

It was a family affair including my grandfather, my mom and dad, along with my dad's brother and his wife.  There was no molly-coddling.  Things died often, including your favorite horse, your calf you raised from a baby, your neighbor (yes really) and the turkey you hit in the head with a rock.  Quite the shot I might add.

So when it comes to stuff like what's going on now ... people suffer ... and sadly, people die.  It's how life works and there is no changing it.  In the old days, there was no unemployment check, no welfare check, no food bank, no FREE money to grab so you could go buy that new TV, nor was there any demand for anything of the sort.  You were expected to take care of yourself and we did.

If we open the country back up, not all at once mind you, but let things start rolling, we might not have 22 million people on unemployment.  I won't even bring up the problem in Idaho where employees are quitting so they can sign up for the free money because it pays more than they were making.  Yes the elderly deserve it, but not everyone else in my book.  Am I ranting?  Okay, I'll quit.

I took a drive over to the Almond Ranch/Pumpkin Patch to pick up my mail yesterday.  The Post Office wanted to charge me $200 for an overfull box, so I mailed the key to the ranch and they picked it up for me.
The almond trees are doing their thing, and for baby trees, are full of nuts.  Too bad there probably won't be a market for them this year.  By the way, if you think California fruits and vegetables are not being harvested, that would be incorrect.  

As I drove along the highways, there were dozens and dozens of cars parked in the fields with people working, most of whom probably came from Mexico.  They have not cut off the stream of farm workers coming into the state as the media has said.  California wants to give every illegal in the State the same money as U.S. citizens because they are out of work.  It's not true.  Unlike the U.S. citizens, they are working everywhere, including the almond orchards.  Farmers take care of their crews.
I spent the next three hours going through the mail.  I had piles everywhere, trying to decided what to take care of first.  The California DMV is the curse I live with.  

I went online to register my Jeep, but they didn't get my insurance notice and it has to be smogged.  Add to that the fact that I cannot find the title, which I KNOW I had.  It took another hour on the computer, uploading SEVEN documents before I got a number, saying they would call me in a month or two.  Woohoo!!  

In the meantime, I gathered up everything to CHANGE the registration to Arizona.  I need my passport, my social security card (which I can't believe I found after 59 years), two bills of some kind showing I live in Arizona, my first born kid (I don't have one) AND my birth certificate.  That's problematic because I was born in Miss Friese's Maternity Home.  We didn't have a doctor OR a hospital 59 years ago.  Okay, maybe it was 60.  Yeah well I'm not telling you my REAL age!

Seriously, four hours later I stopped for lunch and went in the living room to admire my show saddle. This one is completely handmade and hand tooled.  Boy do I miss riding, except for that time I was thrown to the ground from this one.  The front swells are not big enough for cutting cattle.  I think that accounts for the broken vertebrae found in an MRI ten years later.
From all the info sent back and forth, it appears the trailer will work with the high-in-the-sky truck, so hitch work will begin.  That gives me plenty of time to clean it out before they come to pick it up.  I know I'm going to cry.  This thing means more to me than my motorhome.
The good news is I will probably be able to borrow it any time I wish.  

Today's project ... tackle the tax returns.  You know the old adage about the mechanic never working on his car?  I'm the accountant who never works on her bookkeeping.  I just throw everything in a big box.  Oh the fun!!!!



16 comments:

  1. You didn't lose a friend you just learn who the real ones are
    As people grow up they realize that it becomes less important to have more friends and more important to have real ones
    As long as you have a Pizza I'll be glad to be your friend
    Have a glass of wine and enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trailer Why unload it. You know how much stuff that trailer can take to Arizona
      I think I see a trip to empire cattle Ranch 🐎 In the near future

      Delete
    2. Haha Ed, I will ALWAYS have pizza at my house!! Most of the stuff in the trailer is camping gear and probably won't be needed. Plus I'm cleaning out the back of way too old bedding for the horses. If nothing else, it gives me something to do!!!

      Delete
  2. Read your "rant" (not really a rant, just the damn truth) to Marcia, she gives you a thumbs up on that one for sure. She said that back in the war (WW2) they rationed the food by giving little blue stamps that you had to use, along with money, to buy certain foods which were in high demand such as butter, bread, eggs, meat, and even non foods like soap. People have it so much easier today...if we had a war like that one, would we win it??? I have my doubts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia!!! Luckily because of the ranch, we were rationed by anyone other than ourselves, but I remember people talking about that a lot.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Dave about your "rant". Our lives here on the farm this week are pretty much as you described your ranch life. One of the cats got run over. No ceremony, no tears, just another day on the farm.

    There are South Africans who come into the country in this area to help the farmers plant. They all seemed to get into the country without a problem....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool you are working on the farm. It's rather different when it comes to "life". South Africans ... now that's something I've never heard of. As to the border, all farm workers have been exempted.

      Delete
  4. Everyone needs to rant at this time and there are people giving us all we can handle to fill a bunch of rants.
    Be Safe and Enjoy working on your Taxes.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy, right? Oh well, it WILL get better!! The taxes, you know of which I speak! LOL

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your opinions Nancy. I enjoyed learning about your younger life. So much different than my living everywhere as a military service brat. I think the government is listening. They're starting to talk about opening businesses. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are finally doing away with all the crazy rules in California. Funny that THIS state would be one of the first to open up. BTW how does Dolly like the motorhome?

      Delete
    2. She likes it but not a lot of excitement. She has a lifelong friend in South Carolina and we will head there when this virus goes away. Hopefully she enjoys the trip. Let you know.

      Delete
  6. Again I will say I know nothing about saddles but the workmanship on that one looks beautiful.
    Nice to read what you shared about your childhood it certainly explains the adult you became. Always looking for the adventure around the corner and brave enough to do it on your own.
    I totally agree with your title for Today's blog. To bad it is not something everyone believes in. Your blog is always a breath of fresh air. Take care.
    I do have one question why won't there be a market for those almonds this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They think by the time they "let the people go", the economy will be in the toilet and everyone will be keeping every penny they have. Almonds have not been on my list for the past three months. Add to that all the unemployed we now have, they won't be buying either. It's not looking good at all.

      Delete
  7. Listening to Tom Sullivan yesterday..A small business owner called in said he applied and got the "loan" called his employees to have them come back to work. They are getting unemployment and $600 more every week (could be as long as 39 weeks) no one wants to come back to the job! There were other stories as well. One man makes $220 working part time..now he gets $738 a week in unemployment. How does this make sense!? Unfortunately they are killing chickens, pigs, cows now and dumping them because of the processing plants being closed. I only see our economy worsening in the near future and for what?! Ok I'm done (LOL). I had no idea the Post Office would charge like that! Crazy. Love your trailer and that beautiful saddle. Loved hearing about your younger years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Shirley. That's exactly what's happening in Idaho and all over. And they will get that money for free for almost a year. Yup .... I see us in real trouble very soon!

      Delete