Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Good News and Bad News

If I had a choice, it would of course ALWAYS be GOOD NEWS.  Unfortunately, that's just not how life is.  In my life however, the good has always outweighed the bad, sooner or later anyway.  I'm very lucky in that sense and I'm VERY thankful.

My little hummer on the other hand was not so lucky with her house.  She built it on a 130 degree branch.  To my way of thinking, she was not a very good architect.  Less than 90 degrees might have kept it intact during the tornado-like winds we just had.

She also picked the weakest branch on the bush.  She was swinging back and forth six to eight inches in the breeze.  Sadly, it was too much for the little nest and it crashed to the ground.  I've given it a place of honor in my tiny pottery collection.
The best news ever is that I have this kid to keep me company.  To be honest, I would much prefer the human kind of company, but I've been lacking in that department.  Cooper is the perfect alternative.  He's waiting for me to grab and throw the bone he's placed perfectly within reach on the table.  He's concentrating ... waiting for the slightest movement!!
I'm not sure if this is good OR bad.  I dug this cactus up from way out by the railroad tracks, planting it in my back yard.  I was sure it would not bloom.  Surprise!!  It opened two days ago.  Then it closed.  These beautiful blooms don't usually last very long.  

Wait .... it opened again!!  I was sure it was a goner when it closed up the second time and looked rather peeqkid.  What a surprise!  It opened up again, just as beautiful as the first time.  At 4:00 this morning, it was again closed.  I'm waiting patiently to see if it opens one more time.  Weird thing, this cactus.
More good news, I spent most of the day packing.  Truly, there's not a lot to pack except for all the food I'm taking home. It's not that food is scarce in California, but my friends have been turned away at the grocery store door because they did not have a mask on.  

Really California?  She is 80 years old and tough as nails, trying to get groceries during the appointed senior hours and you wouldn't let her in the door?  Shame on you.  If you think you were trying to "save" her, who gave you that control?  I have a feeling I won't be in California long.

Here's the best news of the day!!  My very sweet friend had a Pampered Chef Party.  I always buy because way back in my high school years, I had a party and no one came.  Now I make sure I purchase SOMETHING at every party I'm invited to.  

It was pretty fun really.  It was all done on Facebook.  There were guessing games, like how many pretzels in the bin, comments solicited every hour for grand prize drawing tickets and little known cooking facts.  I have to say it kept me occupied for the last three days.  AT&T threatened to turn me off, but I prevailed.

Wasn't I surprised to find out last night that I actually won the GRAND PRIZE!!  Are you kidding me ... I never win!!!  Well, except for the pastrami burger that I wasn't expecting.  Don't ask me what the grand prize is because I have absolutely NO idea.  I don't ever remember them describing it.
Talk about good news, I'm shocked I won TWICE in one week.  Of course I'm paying for all that with the huge order I placed.  Hey, if everyone orders enough stuff, my friend gets most of her things for free.  It's worth it!!

Time to make room for dog food in the rig.  I think I have more food for them than I do myself.  Jonathan has enough seed for six months.  Not that there will be a run on bird seed like toilet paper and garlic, but nowadays you never know!!






13 comments:

  1. Good News is always the best to have.
    Now you should buy a lottery ticket. Third time is a charm.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your winnings.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too many weeks ago wearing a mask that was not a medical-grade mask was a waste of your time and money. Then 'they' said that any mask is better than no mask. NOW those who are "kings in their own minds" are forcing masks upon everyone!

    I am sick of kids being kicked out of parks when they are alone or with family, sick of churches being punished holding services in parking lots, sick of protests about shutdowns being bad but protests against the current administration not having enough medical supplies (which is just not true) by medical personnel is a good protest.

    Then there's the two studies, one by Stanford and one by USC, certainly not pro-administration colleges, which show that the Virus infected 5% of the population in LA County and Santa Clara County and this 5% didn't even know they had been infected! Add those numbers to the official count and the death rate spirals down to normal flu numbers...yet we killed our economy and our retirement funds. Ok, off my soap box.... (YES, I am concerned about the life of others...I have a mother in Assisted Living, and I appreciate the fact that they keep visitors out, and so far, the virus too. YES we need to be cautious, but not STUPID about this virus!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It has totally gotten out of hand and their "models" are a joke. Yes it does spread faster, but the rates are no more than normal flu. I'm on the same soapbox!!

      Delete
  3. Your comment about the tortillas was interesting. I have a lot of CA family and they all used baking powder. Yuma is right on the CA border and yet Yuma Mexican food can be very different. The first time my mom saw red menudo she yelled out "who ruined the menudo". As for the grocery stores, I think the only one requiring masks is Nugget. I don't shop there so that's no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom is funny Elva!! In some places, baking powder in tortillas is a sore subject!!

      Delete
  4. Your cactus looks like a hedge hog, and they will bloom for several days. The first and second days are generally the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hedge hog. I'm going to remember that Allison. Thank you!! I thought they only bloomed for one day. Since then I've found two more on my property, both in bloom!!

      Delete
  5. Good news is always fun to receive!
    I'll be moving cacti soon - glad to hear that your transplant seems to be doing OK (Hopefully it's not a last hurrah!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cactus seems to be pretty resilient. It's hard to move with all the spikes, but takes to it pretty well. Good luck with yours!

      Delete
  6. Sad about the hummingbird nest...:(
    Congratulations on your win it will be interesting to see what you won.
    What a pretty bloom on your cactus and of course your fur baby looks as cute as can be. Stay safe when you start your trek back to California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really looking forward to seeing hummer babies. In California, I have none. It should be an interesting trip!!

      Delete