Monday, April 20, 2020

I'm Officially A Hoarder

With dinner cooking in the oven most of the day, I had to do something to pass the time.  Pretty little flowers, right?  I spend an hour every morning picking the blossoms off and throwing them over the fence.  Truly, my lawn is dandelions.  There is little grass involved.
I'm trying to keep these from appearing by the hundreds every morning.  All those tiny brown seeds at the middle are the problem.  I'm really not sure why it's so bad this year than other years.  I found if I pulled up the blossoms, THESE did not appear, so every morning as the puppies protect their borders, I pull up flowers.
At the appointed hour, I began to brown the meat for the dinner concoction I was making.  I got this recipe from Michael Symon of Food Network TV.  He and other Chefs have been doing live Facebook videos for your home-bound entertainment.  

Brown the beef, cut up onions, carrots and celery and toss in six cloves of garlic.  It was very weird that the store had absolutely NO garlic at all ... not even the already-chopped variety in a jar.  I think garlic is going the way of toilet paper.  I had to use ground garlic I found in the cupboard.
I added in more spices than normal and stuck it in the oven.  I was a little hesitant and desperately looking for a backup because I truly didn't know if this pan was ovenproof.  I expected the handles to melt off any second.  I left the oven light on and kept a close eye on them.

It smelled DELICIOUS!!!  Crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, oregano ... what could be better?  The meat was to be served over pasta smothered in the sauce, toss on a little parmesan cheese.  Sadly, it had no flavor at all.  I kid you not, it didn't even taste like it had tomatoes in it.  It was BLAH!!!!  At least it was edible so we didn't go hungry, but zero flavor.  Thanks to the Chance family for being guinea pigs.  I should have ordered pizza.
So much for Michael Symon recipes.  On the other hand, we were highly entertained before, during and after dinner by Miss Snoopy.  You can see where she got her name.  She was in the box less then five minutes after I arrived, and stayed there until I was ready to go.  
There's just something about kitties and boxes!!
I did get a nice surprise that I know will taste MUCH better than that dinner.  One of the local restaurants in California (who happens to serve the best food in town) has contests every week.  Name someone you think deserves a free lunch.

I nominated a friend whose husband passed away recently from cancer.  In spite of her troubles, she drives other friends to hospital and doctor appointments WAY out of town, and does it day after day.  Winner winner pastrami burger dinner!!!  WE WON!!  Little did I know, not only SHE gets a free dinner but I do too!!!  Woohoo!!
And lastly for the day, I am officially a hoarder.   I now have 24 rolls of toilet paper.  I've seen on several occasions that husbands and wives split up in the grocery store, both taking packages to the checkout counter.  I don't know how they have room to store all that product.  I should be good for ..... oh a year at least!!!
There's more cooking to come as I try my hand at homemade tortillas.  Hey, there's nothing else to do at the moment.  In the meantime, I'm looking for more ghost towns to visit and trying to fit one roll of toilet paper in my glove box ... just in case I need something for bribes or maybe even ransom money. 







16 comments:

  1. After seeing the empty shelves at the stores and the fact that we were getting low Kathy stocked up on what she could get but it's so thin you need to use fifty percent more. So the Thirty Rolls are good for Twenty.
    Using minced Garlic works better then the cloves with less mess.
    If a recipe doesn't turn out like you want recreate it to your own taste. Kathy does it all the time with Leftovers.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely seen Kathy make some delicious meals. I wish I was as inventive as she is. I agree the TP is rather on the thin side! LOL

      Delete
  2. What a sweet gesture and what a wonderful thing your friend does. Glad you both will be rewarded. Good for you getting the toilet paper. With this crazy country you gotta get it when you can. Dinner certainly looked and sounded like it should have been good..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe cooking so long in the oven took away some of the spices. I probably won't be cooking that again any time soon!

      Delete
  3. We're done with slow cooked or long cooked beef anything. It never works out. It must be the curse of the cow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Allison? I think you are right. It never seems to work out for me either!!

      Delete
  4. The question is where does the taste go? Seriously, you put together what should have been flavorful. I made lemon bars a while back and squeezed, as I recall, a half cup of juice for and 8x8 pan of bars and what was missing? The taste of lemon.

    Your friend sounds like someone very special. She deserved to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with the beef, it probably cooked too long. Your lemon bars? Now that's weird!!

      Delete
  5. Free food is always good even better when you share with friends (they won't tell you the truth)
    The next time you find A Brazilian/Mexican supermarket you'll always find garlic in there And probably a lot of stuff you won't find at the regular market

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Ed! Hmmm I didn't think to check the Mexican meat market for garlic. I bet they have some.

      Delete
  6. That's awesome about your friend. That recipe sounded just fine. I wonder why no taste... that's puzzling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only guess at this point. Funny though, the leftovers have much more flavor.

      Delete
  7. I love your blog..Used to watch the food network, I always thought Michael Symon was full of you know what..I also watched the Chew when it was on, he was swarmy there too, he pushes his ability to cook, well I think he Is dumb and his food and recipes are ridiculous for the average cook..Good to you for your winning the meal and for your friend..Karma is wonderful I say..For succulent beef we got an instant pot and it is wonderful, we take chuck roast sear it in a cast iron skillet first then put it in the pot the instatpot and lots of garlic and other spices, a little broth bone I make up and my hubs watches it and puts the spuds, carrots and celery in later it comes out great and tenderizes the beef, I do cut off lots of the fat from the chuck roast and season it liberally and sear it up like crazy, I think you might enjoy it..many instantpot recipes are on-line no need to buy all kinds of books to use it..You will be happy, love your doggie too..have a great week..keep smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I haven't watched Michael much, but being stuck at home with not much on TV, I thought I would give it a shot. Your Instant Pot meal sounds delicious. I think I'll give that a try instead and add in a lot more spices!!! Thanks!!

      Delete
  8. I have to admit that I was surprised you didn't use your 8 qt. IP for this meal. Sometimes you can't fix beef no matter what but I admit to having better tasting roasts this way and I certainly don't buy expensive cuts. It should have tasted good though with all the spices. Beef broth is also my friend in the IP.
    It is so nice to hear that your friend, someone deserving, won that lunch. And of course her friend who nominated her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well rats Patsy! You are right, I probably could have used my IP and it would have turned out better. I just thought in the oven it would get so much more flavor. I was wrong!! Not the first time!!!

      Delete