Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Mish Mash

I have to give it up to Home Advisor.  Little did I know when I started this project they would be so helpful.  Phil the contractor repeatedly ignored my calls to finish the job on my front porch and walkway.  Apparently when they sign up with Home Advisor, they get lots of business.  Bad ratings get them kicked out of the program.

The crew didn't show up until 1:00 on the second day, making me rather nervous, but they made it and completed the job.  They even sealed the pavers, which almost killed me.  That stuff is VERY toxic smelling.  I opened every window, a job in itself since I'm sure they haven't been opened since the dawn of time, and turned on every ceiling fan looking for fresh air.

The good news is we all woke up this morning, albeit short a few brain cells, and Momma hummer is back on her nest which hangs out over the walkway.  The last thing Phil said to me was be sure and change that rating to 5 star.  Sure Phil, sure ... but actually, he's going to be lucky to get 4 .... maybe even 3!!
Remember this?  It gives me the shivers.  Thanks to the contractor who said he would do it, then canceled on me, then called back and again said he would do it, all this mess got fixed.
So ... just so you know my good luck hasn't changed one bit, as I was cooking breakfast yesterday, my usual scrambled egg.  You really should not wash dishes while you are cooking.  A huge big plop of soapy water went directly into my just-scrambled egg mixture.  How does that happen?  It all went in the trash and I had pizza instead.  

I can't TELL you how happy I am that this is the last of the chicken hot dogs.  I discovered if you burn them enough, it masks the flavor, making it easier to choke down.  I'm hoping that second package I have in the freezer magically disappears.
Just because there is craziness going on outside my doors with the flu and all, doesn't mean it's quiet and safe in my sanctuary.  There I was, washing my face like I do every morning when I looked down to see this.  No, he is NOT dead.  OMG where did he come from?  My washcloth?  He wasn't there a second ago!!!  I yelled .... the dogs came running!!
I frantically searched for more, just in case, as I turned on the hot water and let it run.  I'm guessing $10 worth went down the drain, but the spider never wavered.  TWO MINUTES LATER he was still kicking.  Good grief!!!  At long last I smashed him flat with the bottom of my hairspray can.  Thank goodness for hairspray!!  Down the drain he went, followed by another $10 worth of water, just to be sure he was dead!!  

My heart was still racing as I put together a crockpot stew for dinner.  It turned out perfectly, meaning I now have food for four days, 3 meals every day.  It's hard cooking for one.
Here's another picture of my tree in the morning light.  The picture doesn't do it justice at all.  It's absolutely fabulous and as yellow as can be.  I've never seen it like this before.  
The day finally ended, but not with this beautiful sunset.  This was a couple of days ago.  I have to say the weather could not be any better.  It's been mid 40's at night and mid 70's during the day.  
Now that all my projects are complete, I've got nothing to worry about except doing my taxes, getting my vehicles registered and renewing my driver's license, none of which can be done online.  I tried calling for information, but California DMV doesn't even have people on their phone system.  Just a recording.  In no time I will be completely illegal, for which they will have no sympathy, in spite of the pandemic.  California is after all, California.






20 comments:

  1. Your walkway looks fantastic !
    The spider was a good reminder to get a monthly pest control contract in place for my new home in Green Valley. I bought a house last week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yahoo!!! How exciting!!! I do love Green Valley. Definitely get a pest control servicer, although I warn you, those critters still get inside occasionally!!

      Delete
  2. I think Gavin Grusome has had the CA DMV extend all CA DL's that expire in the next month or 2 for at least 3 months. The DMV is probably a hotter mess right now than it usually is, so this gives them a little breathing room. Have you thought of becoming an AZ resident and just writing CA off completely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I most certainly have thought of giving up California. My plan is to transfer everything to Arizona as soon as I can get back and gather up all the paperwork. An extension? That will be me extra time. Thank you for the info!!!

      Delete
  3. Nice job on the sidewalk.
    Cooking and cleaning should not be done at the same time.
    Should have sprayed the Spider with a little Hairspray (Perfect Bug Killer) and saved the Water,
    Good luck with the DMV. I've got a similar problem with the Ministry.
    Be Safe and Enjoy that beautiful weather.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hairspray on the spider? I'll try that next time!!! Good luck with YOUR registration!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I HATE Black Widow Spiders...run into a couple each year at Arny and my sister's house, typically as I am dumping my tanks using the Big Blue Tote...they like to hide under the tote, and when I go to wheel it to the sewer dump pipe, I get to see them, kill them, and breath again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not my favorite, but much better than the 3 inch wolf spiders!! LOL

      Delete
  5. The pavers, the stew, the tree, the sunset....all beautiful. The spider....yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elva. Yeah, I'm not too fond of spiders either!

      Delete
  6. Oh my! You killed that poor spider. Should have put it outside:)) Glad your porch is finally done and it looks great. Now you're ready to move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Doug ... I'm sorry. But how in the world am I supposed to catch him to put him out?

      Delete
  7. Acacias are so beautiful, like branches full of yellow cotton balls. The pollen is so terrible, I can't wait for their blooming season to be over. Next up will be Palo Verdes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my ... I'm not looking forward to those! I've been sneezing every morning!!

      Delete
  8. They do a really nice job for sure! What a difference! Glad you killed the spider..scary not knowing where it came from! WE've got a 90 day extension here in Nevada..or so they say. Dinner looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit the back patio and walkway do look nice and were worth the wait, just not the hassle! If they gave out extensions, I might be able to stay a few more days.

      Delete
  9. Your finished walkway certainly looks beautiful. Really dislike spiders. A while back we bought some of those plug in ultrasonic pest controller devices for an apartment our daughter was renting. She had seen a mouse in the basement. Anyway, we had an extra one and plugged it in the motorhome. Since, about a year ago, we have only seen one little tiny spider crawling in here on the front windshield. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to admit it, but I have two of those in my house and one in the rig. Haven't seen anything in the rig, but the house ... I've not been so lucky!

      Delete
  10. Yup I agree. A 3* review. You don't get good reviews when you take that long to please a customer. The job looks great though, finally.
    The spider! egads!!
    Good luck with dmv licensing. We're jealous of your weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep sending you good vibes for better weather. I guess it's just a long distance call!!

      Delete