Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Moving on To New Adventures!!

Hahahaha ... I read my friend Dan's blog this morning and we have EXACTLY the same pictures, so I tried to edit mine ... sort of!!  This is how it has looked for the last few days.  After the Fourth of July crowd left, we had the place to ourselves.  It made me nervous when we pulled in ... that's a cliff 12 feet from the front of my rig.  Yikes!!!
There are treasures to be found on the spit with it's long beaches.   This wasn't one of them!!!  Wrapped up in the little bit of kelp that comes ashore was this full salmon skeleton ... minus the head.  We picked up a few small pieces of driftwood and made one more hardware store stop (Dan will say it's because there's a quilt store in the hardware store ... only in Homer Alaska) but I wanted to check out the screwdrivers!!
After another amazing dinner of barbecued hamburgers, Patty and I walked up to the viewpoint overlooking the spit.  This is the first stop as you come into town and is well worth taking the time to view the glacier and the spit from high on the hill.
On the way back, I noticed these nice moose tracks in the sand.  We found where a single animal came up the hill from the cliff side, walked along the side of the road exactly where we were walking, cruised past the service station and then crossed the highway towards the hill, as no further tracks could be found.  Patty can now say she tracked a moose in Alaska!!
Next to Skagway, this is by far my best memory of Alaska ... parked at the Baycrest RV Park at the edge of the cliff watching the eagles fly directly overhead.  I'm sad to leave, but looking forward to returning to this exact spot!!  For now, we are moving on to new adventures!!




No comments:

Post a Comment