Saturday, August 17, 2019

The Big Recall

Here's a little more info on the recall.  It is a NATIONWIDE recall, not just California.  That means someone is going to pay out a huge chunk of money.  I've no idea if it is Cummins or the company who made the part in the first place.  The SCR catalyst they installed on ISC and ISL engines in model years 2010 through 2012, does not meet FEDERAL standards.
So it's not just California, it's everywhere.  They have a list of those SCR catalyst part numbers.  If you got lucky with the draw and have one of the good numbers listed, you are exempt.  If not, your part must be replaced.  The cost (around $4,000 they said) will be to Cummins, NOT me.  I don't have to pay at all.

Here's an interesting note ... it's affects both Canadian and U.S. sold vehicles, 365 horsepower and higher.

If I moved to Arizona, the licensing fees for my rig would be just the same as California.  I may even have to have it smogged every year.  As of now, I have never been required to get a California smog certificate in the 8 years I've owned it.  As far as vehicles go, it seems Arizona has more stringent rules than California.

The difference in this case is that California is requiring proof that you had that part replaced before giving you your license tags.

Dan says if you live in the city of Tucson, you must have your vehicle inspected (smogged) every year.  In California, my diesel truck and my Jeep only get smogged every OTHER year.  So it looks like in some cases, parts of Arizona are more stringent than even California.

I'm hoping when I take it down on Tuesday morning, that I'm one of the lucky ones, even if it looks like I drew the short straw.  You never know ... I just might get REAL lucky!!  I'll keep you posted.





10 comments:

  1. Good luck on getting lucky, the good thing is will not cost you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping you are one of the Lucky Ones and it doesn't cost you.
    How will that affect you in 2030 when California plans to ban all diesel engines?
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhmmmmm I doubt I will still be driving in 2030. They can't possibly ban diesel engines. Who is going to move products in and out of the state? They are such dummies!

      Delete
  3. Interesting info. Thanks....Elva Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better than how "I" read it yesterday. Now for those who are having the part replaced, I wonder if it does anything to their performance and gas mileage???? My guess, performance decreases and mileage decreases...but just a guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing the same Dave. I get 11-13 mpg. I'm sure it will go down.

      Delete
  5. Different smog tests for different parts of Arizona. Wickenburg (I think) does not require any tests (yet) and definitely Congress and north of us does not...for cars and trucks. Not sure about RV's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!! I guess it pays to ask before moving into a neighborhood. I imagine Phoenix goes along with Tucson. Maybe it's just a big city thing.

      Delete