Thursday, August 8, 2019

Birds, Bunnies and Blimps ... OH MY!

I'm happy to report my toe is still attached to my foot bone.  The pain is gone completely unless I hit it on something, like the dog toys in the middle of the floor.  It doesn't bend much at all and is a lovely shade of gray, leaning towards black.  I limp a little, but people just think it's because I'm old.

I made a quick trip to Safeway to order the chickens for Sunday's poker game/dinner.  You really didn't think I would subject these lovely people to my cooking, did you?  No way ... they are getting fresh roasted chicken straight from the store!!

Since grocery shopping was a little overkill on the big toe, I spent a couple hours on the couch before wandering outside to check on the portable patio purveyors of smiles ... the cactus.  This is just plain old oleander, but it certainly is pretty.
And just look what I found!!  Another cactus getting ready to show off it's finery.
They bloom at night and stay absolutely gorgeous for one day.  Then they fold up and disappear.  
I laughed as this guy, a curved bill thrasher, gave a good talking to the quail.  Between him and the cactus wren, they make the most wonderful calls in the morning just before the sun rises.
I was very surprised to see this guy because I thought he died.  No kidding, I watched him get a drink of water, walk a couple of feet and drop in the dirt.  I've never seen a rabbit do this.  He laid there for about five minutes without even twitching his ears.  To my relief, he finally got up, stretched and hopped away.  It must have been nap time.
The clouds and rain continue to sidestep this little valley running down the hills into Tucson, as evidenced by the Goodyear Blimp cruising right past my back door.  You can bet he doesn't travel in bad weather.  That was a sight I've never seen here before.
Every day now in the late afternoon, clouds pile up into tiny cells that dump loads of water on the Rincon Mountains.  At least I think that's the name.  There are about four different ranges around here and they seem to run together.  The temperatures never change.  It's still in the 90's every day.  
In spite of my beautiful big toe, the lawn must be mowed today, along with some grout work before I wander off with my camera.  Cabin fever has definitely taken hold.  The birds, bunnies and blimps just aren't doing it for me any more.  I've GOT to get out of here.




6 comments:

  1. I can understand the cabin fever got get out and about. Nice to see the wildlife and the blimp was a treat as well. Pretty strange about that bunny though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen a bunny do that, but I'm not the only one. One of the blogs I read said she saw the same thing. Weird.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain on cabin fever! Glad the toe is still attached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison ... it's becoming a lovely shade of purple at the moment!!

      Delete
  3. Good that the toe is still part of your foot! Love the critters. That bunny story was funny. Never known them to lay still like that. Maybe he was saying 'it is just too hot to move'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Patsy. It was just the patch of shade he needed for a snap.

      Delete