Friday, August 16, 2019

Luck Of The Draw

As with lots of things in the world today, your luck of the draw brings you favor with all things mechanical.  My luck has never been all that good.  That lottery ticket I found on the floor got me zero, zilch ... nada!

So when it comes to really big things, like this recall for my rig, I do everything I possibly can to stack the odds in my favor.  Not that it helps, but at least I tried.

Yesterday on the way home from visiting friend Pat at her spectacular house on the other side of Tucson, Patty and I stopped in at the second Cummins repair shop.  Although they weren't very helpful with the first phone call, I really wanted to check them out.  Surely SOMEONE there would know what I was talking about.
The Service Advisor gal wasn't very helpful.  I'm pretty sure she just didn't get enough sleep the night before.  After trying to explain everything to her, she finally went and got her Shop Foreman.  More explanations ensued ... like I knew what I was talking about, which I didn't ... and he finally said WAIT HERE.

He actually went to a computer and printed out the actual recall notice repair specifications.  Alrighty!  Now we're talking!  He said they simply had to check the part number on my engine (wherever that might be located) and if it was the RIGHT number, I would get a certification and be on my way.  If it's NOT the right part number, then they would have to order a new one for a total cost of $4,000 (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) and install it at no charge.

It's all in the luck of the draw folks.

I made an appointment for Tuesday, canceling the previous appointment with the other shop.  This place is much bigger, with lots of bays, hopefully certified mechanics and security.  I hit the jackpot in that respect.  Now if I can just hit the jackpot with the right part number, I'll be in like Flynn.

IF California requires a certified copy, I will have all the valid paperwork to show them.  The form says MAY REQUIRE, which in Californiaese means YES, send in all the paperwork.

To celebrate, since I spent a fortune at Costco (do you ever get out of there for under $200?) I barbecued some pork loins.  I even put them on my fancy dancy expensive $25 plastic plate.  The zucchini was relegated to paper.
Lookie here George!!  The first time EVER that I cooked it perfectly with a little pink still left in the middle (I actually read George's instructions).  My gosh it was tender.   I can't believe it came out so good.  There's no smothering THIS in sauce to make it edible!
I'm still waiting for some cool.  My luck of the draw hasn't been so good in that respect.  It was up to 107 yesterday in Tucson.  A horse trough swimming pool is looking better and better.




16 comments:

  1. Good luck with your Cummins recall, hopefully all will be good and save you some money.
    Congratulations on cooking perfect tender, melt in your mouth juicy tenderloins it really makes a huge difference by not over cooking them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've overcooked them all my life. Glad to finally get a good one!

      Delete
  2. If the recall is for California, why not register the motor home in Arizona and save the aggravation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time the recall is nationwide. It's Federal Standards that have to me met, so it wouldn't make any difference if it was Arizona or California.

      Delete
  3. Are you saying that YOU might have to pay for the part (and they put it on for free) on something that is on recall???? If so, that does not sound right at all...have never heard of something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't have to pay for anything. It's all done free of charge, thank goodness!!

      Delete
  4. Nancy I googled it and they say it should be done without any billing for it to you! I google everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy!!! Yes, you are right. They are not charging me ... I'm just shocked that they are requiring a $4,000 repair on every 2010-2012 ISC engine.

      Delete
  5. It says to bring you recall letter though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The eight digit Vin number for the engine should be on your driver side either on the block or on the valve cover
    Also in your service manual u got when u got your rv The engine Vin number should be listed in that book Match the number up to the recall number
    The recall number may be 00000001 to 0000015. Any number inside that will be subject to recall and you don't pay for recall parts the manufacturer does

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember the engine Vin number is different then the vehicle Vin number

      Delete
    2. https://www.truckinginfo.com/310027/huge-emissions-recall-includes-over-500-000-cummins-engines

      Delete
    3. It's pretty crazy they are doing this. I got the recall letter, so I assumed my engine was listed. I'll double check.

      Delete
  7. If your Motor Home was sold to you in the state of California then Cummings should be the ones biting the Bullet not Nancy. Next option move to Arizona and save a ton of cash.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... I bought the rig in Arizona, which caused some problems when I went to register it in California.

      Delete
  8. Fingers are crossed for Monday and that VIN number matching. Free replacement parts are always a bonus.
    I think that is you reaping the rewards from that dud ticket. LOL

    ReplyDelete