Tuesday, August 6, 2019

A Hot Time At The Neighbor's House

Somehow the cooling trend this week got lost in the shuffle.  It was supposed to be in the 80's with rain every day.  Apparently the Devil got in the details and decided to make another appearance just for kicks.  Feels like 104?  I'm sure it was closer to 178 when I got in my jeep yesterday, in spite of the windshield covers.
It was time for our girl's get together with lots of sewing, quilting, eating and good company.  Lucky for me, it's about 50 yards up the hill.  It's a steep hill and not at all fun in the sun, so I took my Jeep.

Mr. Shiloh met me at the door, barking as usual.  He just wants to be sure those other puppies that reside on my legs and clothing know he's the boss of this house.  It works for me.
This is Cooper, whose name I always remember.  This has to be the sweetest dog on the planet.  Unlike MY Cooper, you can tell how well behaved they both are.
This is Shirley's house, quilter extraordinaire, as evidenced by this quilt in progress.  It's a tad bit crooked on the wall ... she's just laying out six squares ... and it's gorgeous.  I could never pick colors or patterns like she can.  I'm hoping a little of that will rub off on me.

Not only that, but she can make some amazing salads for lunch.  Oh yes, lunch is always included.  We switch off on who brings food for the day.  Lucky for me, these ladies are easy to please and my one good recipe for chicken salad always works.
I spent the afternoon hand sewing my appliqué quilt while getting recommendations for counter replacements in my kitchen.  These ladies have a wealth of information, not to mention being sweethearts.

It was so hot when I got in my car, I really did think I would melt before I drove the 50 yards back to the house.  Even my garage was cooler than the car.  That's when I heard the BOOM!!  YAY!!  More rain.  I tried to ignore the lightning, but as you know, I have very little self control.  
Outside I ran with my camera again, trying to capture Mother Nature.  This storm is pretty far away (and that's a good thing) so the images aren't as good.  Where I live in California, I never seen lightning or clouds like these.  It's a real treat to sit on the patio and watch the show.
It rained lightly most of the night and is still going this morning, even though most of it skirts around me.  This little section of gully, for lack of a better word, gets side passed by most of it.  But hey .... it's a lovely 78 degrees outside and you can't beat that!!
I had actually planned a little side trip yesterday afternoon, but the rain put the kibosh on that.  If I was dying of starvation, I might venture out to the grocery store, but otherwise I'm staying under cover.  You haven't experienced a storm unless you've been in Arizona during monsoon season.  It can get pretty crazy!!





9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day with your lady friends. Great to pick up some tips on quilting and whatever else they can help with. Everyone has different ideas.
    The storm pictures are awesome, the streaks of lightning are very cool (from a distance!)
    Love the dog pictures, they look so relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun day you and the ladies enjoyed. Those monsoon storms would really be something to see, buut if we were there in the summer, we would nit be able come there in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, winter time is MUCH better, even if you do really like heat.

      Delete
    2. We come there in the winter to get away from the cold, snow and ice storms.

      Delete
  3. Great storm pictures. Love those two dogs. You can tell how gentle Cooper is by the look in his eyes. I have a Shiloh also that is part border collie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. You got it right ... it's the look in their eyes. GREAT watch dogs too!!

      Delete
  4. Isn't it amazing how it can be so hot, and then a huge rain storm blows up in a place that has almost NO humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is Dave ... it's weird. I guess it all comes from the gulf, but that much rain as it passes over the desert? You would think it would evaporate before it gets here.

      Delete