Tuesday, July 11, 2023

WE GOT RAIN!

 No we didn't ... I was just kidding.  It's still 82 degrees at 4:00 in the morning ... too hot to sit on the patio and listen to the crickets.  I could however smell that it rained somewhere in the desert.  Not a lot mind you, but just enough to smell the dirt.  

It's interesting to note that the desert isn't sand as you would expect.  It's tons of rock mixed up with dirt that turns into clay when wet.  It's extremely difficult to dig holes with a shovel and really hard to get off your shoes.

Here's our rain storm coming in.  The contours of the valley usually guide the clouds around us.  Really, I'm not sure rain in 102 degree weather would be that great anyway.


Since I didn't leave the water on when I left in March, the growing things haven't done much in the way of blooming.  I only have two little Mexican Bird of Paradise that are just beginning to show some color.  No color enhancement ... these beauties are just that gorgeous color of red and orange.


I was pretty surprised to find these two hanging out at the water station at 5:00 in the morning.  This is the first sighting this year.  I've no idea why they aren't up in the higher cooler mountains.  


These guys are back too.  It's surprising that bunnies are everywhere in the desert, and they are always running around at night.  They seem to hide and sleep during the day.


This critter does the same thing.  Still basking in the glow of lock repair, I spent way too much time watching the Calgary Stampede, waiting for my favorite bull riders.  This morning I will wade through 309 junk emails hoping to find the estimate from the last roof guy.  

I have an appointment this morning to get something for my wasp sting and check on the old blood pressure.  It's crazy here ... you just sign on to their website and they give you a list of dates and times.  Pick one and you have a Doctor's appointment.  

Weirdly, it's the same for the Arizona Department of Transportation so I can get my truck registered for another year.  For all of California's bragging about how tech smart they are, they are sure behind the times.

Next was a quick trip to the doggie grocery store.  Since Cooper really can't eat that hard dog food any more (though we may give it a try), I went for the canned food section.  Good grief ... his food is MUCH more expensive than mine.  It's doubled in price this last year to $4.00 a can!!!


He even got a new lightweight collar.  I tried to get some of his favorite treats, but believe it or not, they were $21.99 for one small bag.  The sign said 50% off.  At my California store, they gave it to me for $10.00.  Not here ... she said it was buy one and get one 50% off.  No thank you.  I made her give me a refund.  You can buy it on Amazon for $10.00, so why would I pay you $21??

Cooper is mad in this picture because I wouldn't give him a treat.  He already had THREE!


I did finally tear myself away from Rodeo to cut up this crazy Australian fabric for a lap quilt.  You really have to concentrate on this math stuff, which I did not.  Now I have to make a trip to the store for two more pieces.  There's no leeway for mistakes in quilting.


Hat's off to Frances and her husband.  Do you rent him out Frances??  I ran into my mechanic shop Doctor again and mentioned my truck AC.  He said it's probably a switch under the dash that needs replacement.  Easy peasy he said.  I'll see him on Thursday.

For now ... I'm off.  Can you believe it ... my appointment is for 7:30 in the morning!!!  That's a good thing since my next roof bid guy is going to arrive today.  No idea what time.

From the oven .... pray for rain!!!







10 comments:

  1. Wow, that Mexican Bird of Paradise is gorgeous! As are those two deer, they certainly look healthy. Zoey gets mad at us too but she scolds us rather than ignores us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the critters around here seem really healthy, but sometimes the coyotes are a bit thin. Zoey is a cutie patootie!!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad my husband could be of help. He's been around trucks and farm equipment all his life.
    Praying all goes well with your Dr appt.
    Frances:)
    You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a keeper Frances and I really appreciate his advice!!

      Delete
  3. Cooper is back to his old self!! Cold shoulder when Mom doesn't hand over the goods! I call the dirt here caliche=hard cement! Potting soil is what I had growing up in Minn. Now in Arizona have to buy it at the store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly!!! Perfect description of Arizona dirt.

      Delete
  4. If you add a little chicken or beef broth to Cooper's hard dog food, that would soften it up for him to eat...did that with Skruffy...only mix up enough for him to eat in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try that Dave ... since I have an almost full bag I don't want to throw away!!

      Delete
  5. Your bird of paradise is so pretty!
    Those deer have big ears! So cute!
    Love Cooper's attitude with the great. Gibbs has those too, but he doesn't stay mad for long. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only "flower" I can grow here Patsy, because I don't do anything at all to it!!

      Delete