Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Sidewalk Eggs

High in Tucson yesterday ... 112.  High where I live in the foothills ... it depends on which thermometer you look at.  It ran from 105 to 108 in the shade.  The blowing winds made it the perfect convection oven feel for the entire day.  That breeze can suck the moisture right out of you!

Thus began another day of drinking bottle after bottle of water.  Not that I was thirsty, I was just trying to stay upright.  I have to say Bob's recommendation to put a little salt in the water was spot on.  After maybe three hours, I could not believe the difference in how I felt mentally.  I was really beginning to wonder when I left the water faucet on and all of Jonathan's food on the table instead of in his cage.  I will definitely be using that trick for the rest of the month here in HOT Arizona.


When I first stepped out the door, it was 79 degrees.  Perfect digging weather to find that last leaking drip line.  It took awhile since I had to dig with a spoon almost two feet to find the end.  There were too many other lines to cut in half if I used the shovel. What looks like a stick, is yet another drip line.

Done at last, I headed straight to a cold shower to cool off.  


When you're locked up inside because of the heat, it's hard to entertain yourself and keep busy.  There's a small group of us that are amused by the daily celebrations that are announced ... you know, National Flag Day or National Pork Ribs Day.  You would be amazed at some of the things people come up with.  Here's one.

It was National Fry An Egg On The Sidewalk Day.  No kidding ... some people have too much time on their hands.  I've no idea where this actually came from, but obviously it was Arizona's way to celebrate summer.  I decided to give it a try.  And YES, this was AFTER I started drinking the lightly salted water.

This is my patio.  120 degrees on the concrete.  It was NOT hot enough to fry an egg, but it did instantly break the yolk and evaporate the white.


One hour later ... there you have it ... scrambled eggs.  I've no doubt you've waited your entire life to find out if this is a true fact or not.  Now you can rest your mind ... yes, you can cook eggs on the sidewalk in Arizona in the summer ... and it's not even been the hottest day yet.


My list of honey-do's has increased yet again.  This is my sliding glass door handle, side view.  Yes, that is a bungee cord holding the lever down.  It finally gave up the ghost and will not STAY down, meaning the door cannot be locked.  Yes I have the Stick of Safety along the bottom rail to help keep out the riff raff, but I guess I'll have to find a replacement lock on my first trip to town, hopefully tomorrow.


Time to celebrate America and our gorgeous flag.  What better way than with the Colonel's best ever fried chicken.  I did think about just laying out a rack of ribs on the sidewalk.  They probably would have been done faster than in the smoker.  

Patty made a fabulous potato salad, along with a cherry cheesecake dessert that we ate with gusto.  Maybe there's a National Cherry Cheesecake Day I could celebrate.  
Back home in the convection oven of Arizona, the explosions began in earnest.  I got out my camera, but the celebrations were too far away.  I watched about six different shows around the valley with probably only two being legit.  

I did get a few pictures (this one is not mine) that I will try to work with today.  I'll post them tomorrow if I got anything worthwhile.


In the meantime, I'll be celebrating National Graham Cracker Day and National Bikini Day.  I've eaten WAY too many graham crackers over the years to be wearing a Bikini without blinding someone, so don't look for any pictures of THAT!!  It's also National Apple Turnover Day ... now THAT sounds much more palatable.






6 comments:

  1. Nancy I really enjoy reading your daily blog.
    The egg on the concrete could use a little salsa in it. Lol
    Stay cool!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances ... I appreciate your kind words. It keeps me connected with people, so I love writing it. Salsa it is!!!

      Delete
  2. Somehow I can't unsee you in your bikini and cowboy boots. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha ... it's a good thing you CAN'T see that!

      Delete
  3. When it was 108/109 here Friday/Saturday, Arny said his thermometer in his BBQ was reading 235 degrees...he could have slow cooked without any briquettes! Thank goodness we are back in the high 80's and low 90's for the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not cooling off here for over ten days, and it's going to RAIN at 104 ... or so they say .. for three days. That should be fun!!

      Delete