Wednesday, July 19, 2023

From The Oven ... A Comparison

Sometimes you just have to weigh it out.  Like that shrimp I had last night.  Was it worth the hour it took to marinate and cook up while waiting for the rice to cook?  Possibly.  Was it worth all those dishes I had to wash afterwards?  Heck NO!!  

Let's face it ... I've become a 5-Minute cook.  If I can't fix and nuke it in 5 minutes, then I don't eat it.  Occasionally I'll splurge on something that bakes in the oven, but I've become the Queen of 5 minute breakfast, lunch and dinners.  Am I alone?  I would rather go out for a burger than cook it myself, because I don't have to do the cleanup.

It was a nice cool (79 degree) morning as I slugged down yet another bottle of water.  It was truck registration time and I had an appointment.

Let's compare:

California DMV:  Make an appointment, arrive on time, only to be given a number tag.  Have a seat and wait for your number to be called.  What they don't tell you, is even though you had an appointment, you now have to wait 90 minutes for EVERYONE ELSE in the room to be served before you.  Your appointment only gets you IN THE DOOR, not someone to help you.  Truck registration $587.00.

I have to throw in this tidbit.  Remember I was a County Office Auditor?  The County pays welfare to recipients and gets reimbursed from the State.  Where did the State get the money?  From your vehicle registration fees.  That's why they are always extremely high.  It's a money game.  I've been gone for 13 years, so that may have changed .. but I doubt it.

Arizona DOT:  Make an 8:00 appointment. Drive 13 miles to arrive at 7:40 and find the door open.  Go inside and be waited on within 5 minutes.  Transactions complete, walk out the door at 7:50, BEFORE your appointment time.  There's just no comparison.  Truck registration  $33.00 (plus $12 for smog).

California Home Depot:  Wait in line for 30 minutes while the ONE cashier takes returns.  About a 15 minute wait.

Arizona Home Depot:  Walk right up to one of SIX return cashiers waiting for you.  Two minutes later, you have a refund.

California Home Depot:  Walk around the entire store looking for the sprinklers, or a human who might tell you where they are.  Once you find them, you spend 30 minutes trying to figure out which one you need.  If you find it, check yourself out ... which never works correctly ... you have to call someone and wait ten minutes for them to help you.

Arizona Home Depot:  You run into FOUR humans before you even get to the first aisle.  One takes you right to the sprinklers you want, pulls them off the shelf and smiles.  You walk back to the front where SIX associates are waiting to check you out.  RIGHT OVER HERE ... I'M OPEN.  

California:  Go to DMV, go to Home Depot and arrive home 3-1/2 hours later.

Arizona:  Go to DOT, go to Home Depot and arrive back home 75 minutes later after driving twice as far and even stopping at McDonalds for an egg McMuffin on the way home.  


 One thing though ... I may have to pass on Micky D's.  Many moons ago I used to buy my County staff members egg McMuffins about once a week.  They were 2 for $4.00.  

One McMuffin, one hash brown and one small iced coffee was a whopping $12.00!!!  Iced coffee is a thing here, and I admit, it was pretty tasty, especially when they loaded it up with caramel flavoring!  Definitely NOT worth the price, but at least I didn't have to do dishes.

So here's my new sprinklers.  Hopefully if I walk on these, they won't break.  There is always drip line to replace, so I got some extra.


Next up ..... RAT traps.  That should be fun!!   Oh, and try to fix the sprinklers.






18 comments:

  1. WOW you and I are on the same page about cooking. I have 16 years of full timing RV life to teach me to keep EVERYTHING simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm learning ... slowly. Life is so much easier that way!

      Delete
  2. California DMV-good grief-renew online-1 minute. Just renewed at machine with cash-had renewal tags immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rarely been able to renew online. No machines where I'm from ... you have no recourse but to go to their offices.

      Delete
  3. You are so right about DMV and the cost of vehicle tags in CA.
    Wish you lived closer I'd have you over for meals I love to cook.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances .. you are just the sweetest ever!! I bet you're a good cook too!!!

      Delete
  4. Aaaa...Frances loves to cook! I need to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard that New York's DMV "might be" the only thing worse than the California DMV. As a teenager, I remember going down to the only DMV office in Sacramento, a multi-storied building that still stands and in operation today. Wait in line to get a number, then sit and wait...and wait...and wait. When you did your driving test (passed first time with a higher score than each of my older brothers, two of whom had to retake the test) and then you have to wait in line to get a number to wait and wait and wait until you finally get your license which was mailed to you because it took time to get your picture onto that piece of plastic....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A perfect description of our local office. We actually drive 45 miles to go to a tiny little office in a mountain community where you don't have to wait. AND they have very nice people that actually smile!

      Delete
  6. My extended cooking efforts nowadays: microwave a potato, add butter and sour cream, add salt and pepper, open and drain a can of tuna and pour it onto the potato. Done. Very filling.

    My other "cooked" meal is lightly beat an egg in a 2-cup microwave safe bowl, add seasonings, drain and flake a can of salmon and stir it into the egg. Microwave on high 3 minutes. Let sit until center firms up. Eat right from bowl. Soak bowl if not washing immediately as dried egg takes way too much effort to wash off but, at least, it's only one dish.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUM!! That is exactly my kind of meal. I actually do the egg with salmon and rice! LOL

      Delete
  7. YES! Low labor for meals. I've gotten some things down...things I like and no big prep. And when it's hot outside.....something just kills the energy for it. Even living under AC. So...keep experimenting. Frozen chopped onions and frozen chopped peppers and stuff like that.....cut down on the labor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's it ... the heat. I just don't have the energy for the prep OR the cleanup!!

      Delete
  8. Reading these comments makes me laugh. Just think, if you are really that lazy, why not fast. From experience I can tell you guys that fasting is about as lazy as you can get. Just think. No time wasted on poo. No toilet paper or at least less so no shopping for that. No shopping for eats and no cooking prep and no eating and best of all, no dishes or cleanup or garbage to take out. :O) A lot of money saved too.
    bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely a solution ... but I don't think my stomach would be a happy camper. I fast from 6:00 pm to 8:00 am. That's about as far as I can go!! LOL

      Delete
  9. Admiring all your projects & the up & downs even dodging the temp extremes.Like you the excessive clean up after meals became a pain until the advent of —“The AirFryer” - fast,minimal cleanup ,frozen entree no problem -oven,warm up only!All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably the problem. Too many projects to take time to actually cook a meal. By the time cleanup comes around, I'm too tired!

      Delete