Friday, July 21, 2023

Timing Is Everything

 Timing is everything ... and I haven't got it down, even after all these many years.  Once in a great while I get it right, like when I bought this ladder.  Here's a closer look.  They are good for things other than painting too.  Like exercising!  Moving it every 15 inches and climbing up and down couldn't be better for your quads.  It feels like I climbed Mount Everest!!  The SORE is coming, I just know it!


Looky here though!!  Okay, don't look too close because to be honest, the board is cheap pressed something or other that should be replaced.  Truly, it's almost like cardboard.  That $1200 bid they gave me to replace it squashed that idea completely.  I'll just slap on a couple more coats of paint and worry about that later.


As you can see, the garage siding needs paint too.  I don't know what happened here.  It looks like the previous owners dabbed over some nail holes with something that evaporated from the sun.  It's amazing just how much damage the sun can do here.  The rest of the house looks fine because it's protected by the front awning I had installed and the back patio.  This side ... it needs paint.  What else have I got to do at 5:00 in the morning?


I am quickly understanding the Mexican way of life.  Work really early and take a nice long siesta mid day ... like 6 hours.  Since my roller was working so well and I had the trim paint on it, I quickly repainted the front garage trim.  What a difference.  


Here it is ... by 7:00 I was done.  THIS morning it's a lovely 86 degrees at 4:30 am, so I doubt I will be doing any painting today.  


Of course there is cleanup.  My least favorite thing to do.  I'm just wanting to reduce the amount of damage the rain and hail can do until I save up enough money to get the place repainted.  That was my goal on this trip, but the roof has sucked away all my money.


Speaking of the roof ... I was having a panic attack over the Contractor I chose.  Oh he's got great ratings, but when I asked for a SIGNED copy of the proposal, I got a blank one, along with an envelope for my deposit.  I was completely second guessing myself.  I try to tell myself it's only money.  

Thanks to Patty giving me the pep talk, I finally called the office once again.  Timing is everything.  The Owner actually answered the phone.  He apologized and said he completely understood ... that he would send out another SIGNED copy.  Okay then ... I feel a little better.  Again, it's only money, but it's MY hard earned money.

As I looked out over the view, I spotted the next monsoon storm coming in.  Oh yes, it starts out looking like these fluffy little bits of cotton that wouldn't harm a flea.


Then they get a little bigger ... and a little bigger .....


Until it looks like this ... then it pours for an hour or so before stopping.  At least it brings the temperature back down to the 80's.  Last night it was 107 at 8:00.  That's HOT!!!


I'm still working on the sprinkler valves.  With the help of Bob and YouTube videos, it has been narrowed down to the diaphragms.  I'm going to change out ONE and see if it helps.  I mean really, it's the only thing left.  I'm still waiting for the seals to be delivered for the remaining two valves.  

Big sigh .... I'll get it I suppose, it's just going to take time.  At least it's something to keep me busy!!

In the meantime, does anyone know how to adjust the chain on my chainsaw-on-a-stick??


17 comments:

  1. Mr. Ed said yeah bring the chainsaw over. I’ll Adjust it for you. Or We could look on YouTube together.
    If you have to replace any boards on your trim, replaced the whole board with what they call hardy board once painted you’ll never have to touch it after that (look it up and you’ll see why)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll fly you out here! LOL. I'll look up that board. Would love something I never had to worry about again.

      Delete
  2. Paint job is looking good kiddo!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances ... it will work for now and will keep the wood from deteriorating.

      Delete
  3. "I am quickly understanding the Mexican way of life..." I haven't been the same since I took my RV to Mexico a couple times: a summer day starts at dawn, and I won't do anything energetic in mid-day.

    Then I see the average gringo getting out of bed late in the morning, and reaching peak activity levels at 2 p.m. !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pain job is looking nice, fingers crossed on your roof...it HAS to go right for you since you have had so many pitfalls lately. It will be 108 today and tomorrow before we drop back down to the mid-90's. Mom out of the hospital now, all is looking good on that front. 15,000 acre fire only 8 miles from the park we wanted to stay at in Oregon so changing our plans there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes on the fire. That doesn't sound good at all. Glad Mom is doing well. Hope you find a cooler place to hang out for awhile.

      Delete
  5. I never give contractor's a deposit, but pay after work or portion of work is complete. Most states also limit amount contractors can charge for deposit, but as I say, recommend no deposit. Question for contractor is do they prepay for their materials or labor? No, they pay labor after work is performed and if they have to pay for materials COD, that is a very large red flag that they are insolvent and don't pay their bills. Also, never pay contractor for more work than they have performed. If they are 50% complete, pay no more than 50% of agreed price. I am speaking from a construction experience background with 50+ years of experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on all counts. I checked with the local building department and the contractors license board. It's normal practice around here I guess. This state doesn't limit the amount and the contractors don't keep roofing supplies in stock. So .......

      Delete
  6. I agree, the paint job looks great.
    As for those pesky sprinklers, I'd have given up long ago and landscaped in Arizona rock. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about that, but it's too hot on the puppy feet during the day. I just need to adjust my schedule a little.

      Delete
  7. Great job on the painting! We are getting down into the 60's at night, perfect sleeping weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hate you!!! Just kidding ... I am jealous though!! On the other hand, you have SNOW in the winter!

      Delete
  8. If you stop painting before you finish the job you can wrap the paint brush in aluminum foil and stick it in your freezer. Just thaw and continue when ready again. So much easier than cleaning it every time.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a GREAT tip!!! I'll do it when I paint the garage wall.

      Delete
  9. I don't know what type or size your chainsaw is but there is usually a nut or two that must be loosened just enough to allow the bar to move forward when a screw on the housing is turned to make the bar move forward. The screw is usually on the motor side of the bar and close to the bar. Tighten it enough so the chain won't have too much slack but can be moved by hand in the direction it normally travels. If you turn it the wrong way the chain will get looser. Once you are satisfied with the tension on the chain you've got to retighten the nut(s) that hold the bar in place. Once you do that recheck the chain tension to make sure it didn't change after you tightened the bar. If it did you will have to repeat the procedure until it you are satisfied with the results. There must be something on YouTube that shows how to do this. Also your instruction manual would cover this. If you don't have one search for one on the Internet using your make and model as part of the search information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you!! I'll work on that tomorrow since I can bring it inside!

      Delete