Sunday, July 30, 2023

A Break In The Action

Time for a little break from the heat.  A picture from the past showed up on Facebook.  Let's travel up to the Sierras where it's MUCH cooler.  I couldn't find a really good map, but if you drew a line up from Lake Isabella and crossed over a horizontal line from the words Giant Sequoia, you would intersect about where the cow camp was.


I know I've shown this picture before.  The meadow is behind the picture taker.  I think that's my Uncle standing between the horses.  I'm also thinking maybe the child was his youngest?  The only way to get there was by horseback, so we learned to ride VERY early.  I was riding my own horse at four.  Notice the horse to the left ... no one ever went out without a rifle.   

One or two of the lead horses were hobbled and let loose in the meadow since there were no corrals.  MOST of the rest would stay put, though we did occasionally have to go find them on foot.  Again, a rifle was always handy since bears and mountain lions were everywhere, not to mention those darn rattlesnakes!!


What looks like a black tree coming out of that square structure in front of the cabin, is actually the smoke stack.  That's where all the cooking was done.  Behind the cabin to the left was the outhouse where all the snakes lived.  Just a coincidence I'm sure (men will be boys) and occasionally one would end up in a sleeping bag.  Not my bag thank goodness, and I was not amused!!  

Pretty hard to tell, but on the far right is a huge picnic table where we ate all our meals.  We slept about where the picture taker is standing, to be farther away from the smell of food that was hung up in the tree. There's nothing like waking up and finding bear tracks at the foot of your bedroll.  I wasn't amused with THAT, either!!  Yes, we slept on the ground after gathering up pine needles to make it more comfortable.  


The above cabin in way across this meadow in those trees.  This is the sign for the forest service cabin that we frequented on horseback.  That was because there was rarely anyone there, and us kids could jump our horses over every rock and log without someone yelling at us.  


We did become well acquainted with the cabin when my brother fell off his horse, hit the only pine cone in the corral and broke his arm.  We actually broke into the cabin looking for something to wrap his arm up with.  We took some bandages, some sticks and lots of tea towels.  

The ride back to explain what happened was fraught with fear.  We knew we were going to get our hides tanned.  Lucky for us they actually thought it was just sprained.  Pretty sure I've told you this story, about how on the way back the biggest grasshopper ever jumped on my shirt.  Silly me, I gave it to my brother because I felt sorry for him.  Later that day, he caught the biggest fish.  NO FAIR!

That's what was for dinner most days.  Even at that young age, I loved fishing.  With no fridge or even ice to keep anything cold, we lived off the land and dried beef.  Every day I was down at the stream catching native trout.  My least favorite was lunch.  Breakfast was most likely pancakes, followed by pancakes with peanut butter for lunch.  I love PB but NOT with pancakes!!  My second favorite was dried beef fried in bacon grease with potatoes.  We had that a LOT!!


Two weeks later we would leave the camp, riding the horses all the way back.  Just for kicks, they had the arm x-rayed, to find it was broken.  THAT'S when we got in trouble.  Jumping logs was no longer allowed.  Well ... not that they ever SAW!!

So here we are back in sunny Arizona.  This is the resident coyote coming for a drink a couple days ago.  I haven't put the camera out when it was pouring down rain.  It's waterproof, but I didn't want to push my GOOD luck.


I spent most of the day sewing again.  I did find out my quilting machine will be delivered Tuesday morning.  I need to get this finished because I'll soon be hard at work on all those quilts.


As a thank you for always checking on my house, I made a run by Dickman's Meat and Deli for their famous Ugly Steaks.  Yup ... they are that!!  On slow days they sell 2-300 of these beauties.  I knew at one time exactly where this cut comes from, but I forgot, and it's a secret.  I think they even patented the cut and the name.  Really, you can't go wrong with all that marbling!  These are almost better than filet mignon.


Mr. Dan cooked them to perfection!!  If meat was once again like this ... prime grade ... I would be eating it every day.  Sadly, this tasty treat is $17.99 a pound, thanks to inflation and ridiculously high wages.  Two years ago it was half that!!  


We had another crazy storm last night ... this one full of electricity.  I got a couple not so great videos I'll post tomorrow.  At least you can get an idea of what it's like to live in a plasma globe.  You know, the little glass globe that has lighting shooting all around inside when turned on.  This is the first time I've seen anything like this in seven years.  Needless to say, I stayed inside.

Keep cool my friends ... we are supposed to get all the way down to 95 today.  WOOHOO!!!!!




10 comments:

  1. I often wish I would have lived back in the late 1800's. But what a rough life it would have been. Maybe, if I could just experience it for a week or two then return to the comforts of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We pretty much lived that life when I was a kid. Baths (here were no showers back then) were few and far between and there was no AC for sure, but we didn't know those things existed, so we didn't miss them. To go back now, yeah that would be hard.

      Delete
  2. I’m surprised someone growing up on a cattle ranch Hasn’t picked up on it. You can pretty much buy it in any butcher shop. It’s just that your particular butcher shop has a copyright on that particular name. Your ugly steak as you call it is technically Flank stake It’s called Bavette In a lot of countries and by no means is it ugly. The key, however, is, it depends on who is harvesting and cleaning the cut. Bavette means “bib”. When taken off and cleaned correctly it resembles a bib
    Around here flank steak comes in at a more affordable $11.99 per lb. Most of the time, you'll find flank steaks already thin-sliced But in your case, you’re probably getting a thicker cut The other thing that you might have to look at is where do they get it.. in hot country? It’s gonna be Southern tough and cold country is going to be tender so It’s probably northern beef . There’s some really good Marinating recipes out there with you grill it or stick it in the oven. Just remember to cut with the grain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were the days Nancy that help make you the beautiful, talented woman you are today!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Frances! It certainly taught me to be independent!

      Delete
  4. Nancy, in Google Maps type in 'Beach Meadows, California', and I think it takes you right to your spot. Beautiful place. Is the cabin you all used still sitting??? I saw that back in 2017 the #SchaefferFire threatened the area and they took steps to preserve the Beach Meadows Cabin (the cabin owned by the feds) and a few others in the area. You can see more about that here: https://www.facebook.com/SequoiaNF/photos/a.649748071893764/648170458718192/?type=3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't quite tell Dave. There were two cabins. One was the cow camp cabin we used and one was the Forest Service Cabin. The pictures do not look like our cabin at all. But you never know ... things can change a lot over the years.

      Delete
  5. When I saw the first picture of the ugly steaks my first thought was"tri tip" steaks....part of the sirloin. We love love love tri.tip. Raley's puts them on sale for ...maybe...$8.99??? When we moved here in 2005 the sale price was $2.99.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two things have gone sky high in price. Flank steak and tri tip. In the old days, we couldn't GIVE it away. Now it's almost the most expensive!!

      Delete
  6. I don't think so either, but it's priority info, so the butcher isn't telling. I've a hunch it's a flap off the sirloin. I may just have to see if I can weedle it out of them.

    ReplyDelete