Saturday, July 8, 2023

Let's Recap .....

I'm happy to report I'm still alive and kicking in this oppressive heat.  I've never known it to be like this in the seven years I've been here.  I talked to my neighbor yesterday who said it's the worst year he's ever seen also.  Things ebb and flow ... I'm not sure which one this is, but I hope it quits soon!!

Let's recap:

I've been here seven days and I was stung by a wasp that I'm apparently allergic to, had an overheating episode, had to fix one big sprinkler and three drip line breaks, found out I need a new roof, my truck AC is on the fritz, I can't quilt because my machine is in the repair shop, yet another sprinkler broke, my sliding glass door lock is busted and it's been 102-106 every day.  That about sums it up!  Makes you want to go hide under the covers!!

I finally repaired the front broken line and made a trip to Ace Hardware to get the parts for the geyser in the back yard.  They didn't have exactly what I needed and they insisted this NEW part would work.  I didn't think it would, but the guy was insistent.  It didn't work.  I have to make another trip this morning.


Another VERY nice looking guy helped me with the door lock.  I asked him if I could rent him out for a couple hours to get it fixed.  I pay very well!  He declined, so I came home and took it apart myself.  At least as far as I could, because that top screw is stripped and won't come out.  

My Go-To Handyman Dan is out of town, so maybe today, with the help of some YouTube videos, I'll drill it out myself.  This oughta be fun, yes?  I already have a blood blister on my thumb from this project!


On the way back home with two bags of groceries, I ran into this.  I think I've mentioned, I live BETWEEN the tracks.  There are two lines that parallel each other here, and our houses are in the middle.  Supposedly, they can only block the road for ten minutes.  

I was back about 20 cars, and made sure to leave room if I wanted to turn around.  It dawned on me that even if I did, there would be just as many cars on the far side, not allowing me to get to my turnoff road anyway ..... so I sat.  And sat some more, praying my AC would keep running.  (I have an appointment to get it fixed this week).

No kidding ..... 25 minutes later I was the third car in line and STILL waiting!  Even the Sheriff's vehicle turned around.  I love trains, or this might have been a deal breaker.  It's a good thing I didn't buy any ice cream!!


Finally back home, I found I couldn't fix the sprinkler geyser, so I just watched the birds in the yard.  Poor things are standing in the shade panting.  The quail have the right idea, they are digging holes in the damp lawn.  The finch ... I counted 21 in the shade next to my patio.  


I spent the rest of the 104 degree afternoon watching the Calgary Stampede.  Going out in this heat is not an option.  The overnight low was 84.  

At long last I received the first estimate on the roof.  Here's a picture of the place where it is leaking at the back corner.  Nice of them to pull up that shingle, yes?  This company is the one intent on ripping off my insurance company.  Normally I wouldn't care, since no insurance company EVER has done me right.

I checked the paperwork and I have a 20 year roof that is 18 years old.  With the crazy weather here, I wouldn't expect it to last the full 20 years.  But scamming the insurance company by running the price up, and telling me don't worry ... they will take care of EVERYTHING ... is NOT how I do business.  I expect a fair price for the job, not one ridiculously high just because there is an insurance claim.  

$19,000 is the price, $21,000 if I want the patio cover done also.  I expected something in the $15,000 range, and $10,000 would have made me happy.  This from the car salesman, by the way.  I'm getting two more bids, maybe more, mostly because I'm an honest person ... and this is a scam.  Besides that, the insurance company will either cancel me or double the cost for next year.

Do you ever go to bed at night thinking about exactly what you would like to say to someone?  Sometimes I just can't turn it off.  I spent probably two hours last night telling the car salesman what I thought.  

BIG SIGH ...... BIG!!!  My brain is completely overworked and I'm HOT ... and not in a good way!!  Maybe a stop at Cold Stone for the biggest cup of ice cream they have will help!!  Yup ... I'm SURE it will help ... and it's only a couple of miles away!!!






15 comments:

  1. Get that Cold Stone you deserve it!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe bring home an ice brick would be refreshing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does!! It's fine as long as you don't go outside!

      Delete
  3. Mr. Ed said I’m back. As for the roof, leave the shingles on have them do a metal/tin/ aluminum roof reason if you don’t remove the old shingles And metal roof over it it reflects more heat it As a rule, metal roofs are a little bit less expensive, but still do the job. Just make sure they do the wind load mitigation you’ll need that for your insurance company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as your roof goes, all he needs to do is laser measure the perimeter of the house, including overhangs some even use a drone To get the measurements
      Also, the city tax collector has those measurements on file In most states, if you re-roof, you don’t need a permit. If you take the shingles off, you’ll need a permit that’s why I said leave the shingles on go medal.
      One very important thing you need to know your warranty should also tell you how many square feet of shingles are on the roof You need to compare Annie contractor cost per square foot that’s how they determine the price.. Also, you could ask if you purchased the shingles separately And you only pay for the labor would you get a break? But I will tell you a secret that’s the last place I wanna be on a roof in Arizona at 200° And that’s at night
      As for your quilt computer It’s a quilt Repair shop don’t they have one …. darr

      Delete
    2. Interesting idea about the roof, but I'm not sure they would allow it. I'll have to look it up. As for the quilt machine repair ... that's what I thought too.

      Delete
  4. Both Wellton and West Sacramento have a train line going thru town but only ONE. And in both towns the train causes a lot of complaints. Fortunately my travels very seldom cause me to cross the tracks. I'm so thankful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't care if it wasn't 200 degrees outside! LOL

      Delete
  5. Cold Stone fixed everything, go with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You deserve more than some ice cream unless you bathe in it!!
    Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A swimming pool ... I need a swimming pool!!!!

      Delete
  7. Surely you have one good neighbor or friend in this
    area to give you references for Roof company, maybe?
    You definitely should write a book....ha... people would
    think it was fiction! !
    Again I say, your a hearty soul and deserve all the
    Cold Stone you want๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think alike Linda. I went door to door asking about roofing. I did get a couple of names to call.

      Delete