Monday, March 13, 2023

I Do This So You Don't Have To

 It's a new day ... and here I sit underneath the RV cover in my back yard, watching the sun come up.  The forecast called for overcast and 70 degrees ... the perfect morning for sunrise watching.  


I will probably be seeing this for the next three days as the clouds continue to come in.  Lucky for us, at this point they don't include rain.


The colors are magnificent as I sip my coffee and listen to the coyotes.  Watch your step though ... rattlesnakes have been found outside garages in the surrounding area.  Seems a little early, but maybe they are the groundhogs of the desert.


As usual, it was fleeting, so I went back inside to straighten up the house.  Even the quilting machine repairman gets special treatment around here.  I'll haul out the vacuum sometime today.

In no time I was heading off with the Chance household to Culvers for another round of walleye.  Actually this isn't my plate.  It's so good that I scarfed down almost my entire lunch before thinking about a picture. 

You might say we go there a lot ... and you would be right.  It's only available this time of year and it's some of the best fish I've eaten ... except maybe halibut.  Halibut is better, but this is amazingly good for a fast food restaurant.


With our stomachs full to the brim, we headed back to their house for another long session of binge watching 1923.  It's definitely hard to keep track of who is who, as three different stories are being told at once.  They're dead after that boat crash ... oh look, they lived.  He's dead after getting shot nine times ... oh look, he lived.  

This whole story is about John Dutton, the Governor of Montana who owned one of the biggest cattle ranches in the U.S., and his family that originally came from Tennessee to settle in Oregon.  Its interesting to note you can still have a film career at 80 years of age.  AND he climbed up on that horse like he knew what he was doing.


The story takes me back time after time to the Chance couch to see who is going down next and who survives to be the grandfather of John Dutton III (Kevin Costner).  The waters get a little mudded there when they leave out lots of info between 1883 and 1923.  I think the writers were a little unsure themselves.

SO .... in the meantime ... here's my latest public service announcement.  I do this so you don't have to.  I try out these weird recipes from the internet, then post a review of sorts.

You've all seen this one I'm sure ... cherry cobbler made with just a few ingredients.  First up, a can of cherry pie filling.  As you can see, I've used a 9" square pan instead of the 9 x 13 it says to use.  I really don't want to eat this stuff for two weeks if it's not good.


Next, drain a can of crushed pineapple and spread it over the top.  Save the juice.  Then pour the dry cake mix over the top.  Eeewww that does NOT sound good to me.


Lastly, lay on pats of butter and pour the pineapple juice over the top.  Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour.  Actually, THIS particular recipe said to put it in a crock pot and cook on high for two hours.  I didn't have that much time.


I should have allotted more ... time that is.  The top did not get really brown like their picture, but after an hour, I took it out.  If you want to make this, definitely let it cool and stick it in the fridge to mellow out.  I did NOT do that.

Now for the taste test, along with a little caramel ice cream, mostly because that's the only one I ever buy.  So here's the thing ... you expect this to be very sweet, but cherries are sour, as is pineapple in its own juice.  Add to that the weird cake thing on the top, and this dessert gets a big thumbs down.

Really, if you need a quick dessert, just dump in the cherries and top it with a brown sugar flour butter mixture and add in a few nuts.  It will be MUCH better than this.


Unfortunately, now I have to eat it up or toss it in the trash.  Remember ... I bake these concoctions so you don't have to ... and you certainly don't have to make THIS one!!




17 comments:

  1. Too bad that dessert did not taste as good as it looked, it looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After marinating in the fridge for a day, it did taste better. I've no idea why.

      Delete
  2. Laila was 2nd after Dressage and jumping, but ended up 4th out of 14 competitors due a not fast enough cross country time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for testing this recipe and the ingredients sound and look good anyways. That 1923 movie I'd like to watch if I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good, but you have to not mind a lot of violence and nudity. They certainly leave you on the edge of your seat.

      Delete
  4. I just saw that recipe yesterday and thought it looked so good. Thanks for the review. Congratulations to Laila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually does taste a little better today than yesterday.

      Delete
  5. You make these delicious sounding foods but you never follow the instructions then you wonder why they don't turn out. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly I follow the instructions ... if I put it in a 9 x 13 pan you would have gotten one cherry every fourth bite. TWO $5.99 cans of cherries would have been a little pricey.

      Delete
  6. Looks good Nancy!
    Sorry it was what you expected. Thanks for sharing!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out okay in the end, which is weird. I'm eating it anyway .....

      Delete
  7. I agree the dessert looked yummy! So did the fish, and I don't even like fish LOL. The sunrise is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fish eater from way back. When taking cattle to the mountains, we caught much of our food.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to Laila! A beautiful sunrise, thanks for the effort of getting the pics!!! I'm not a cherry lover so it didn't appeal to me anyway. LOL. But thanks for sacrificing yourself, your fans appreciate it very much!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Deb you make me laugh!!! Such a sacrifice, eating cherry cobbler!!

      Delete
  9. That dessert sounds and looks sweet and yummy. Bill would probably love it, his 2 favorite fruits.

    ReplyDelete