Friday, March 17, 2023

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

Time to get your GREEN on so you don't get pinched.  I've no idea where THAT came from, but St Patrick's day, celebrated around the world, is the anniversary of the death of St. Patrick in the fifth century.  The Irish have held this celebration for over 1,000 years, featuring Irish bacon and cabbage.  I've never heard corned beef called Irish bacon before.  

It says St Patrick was kidnapped at 16 and taken to Ireland as a slave.  He later escaped and was credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland.  In case you were wondering about the shamrock or clover as I know it, he used it to explain Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  I never knew that before.


So get your happy on with some corned beef and cabbage, hopefully to be followed up by corned beef hash which I LOVE!!


Of course the other Irish tradition is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Leprechauns are tiny critters wearing green coats that like to make shoes and store their gold in a pot at the end of the rainbow.  When they find gold coins in the earth, they put one in a big pot for every year they live.  If you ever find one, let me know ... I'll post pictures.


I didn't pick up any corned beef to celebrate since I'm hoping it goes on sale tomorrow.  My goodness how cheap meat has risen in price.  Back in the day, you couldn't GIVE this stuff away!!

Speaking of food, you will be happy to know that all that cherry cobbler dessert is finally gone.  Somebody had to eat it, smothered in ice cream and caramel sauce, to keep from throwing it away.  

Next up ... Jonathan biscuits.  It doesn't pay for me to try new things.  Not having his usual yams to mix in the batter, I opted for grated apple.  That should work, right?  Well not so much.  It could have been the lack of milk, substituted with water.  Even though I sprayed the pan, they stuck like glue.  A few got tossed out to the dove family who grace my back yard.  


Next .... on to more sewing quilt tops since my quilting machine is down for the long haul.  I did think this was a pretty apt description of my running lately.


Though not green ..... here's my latest "put on your sunglasses and squint" project.  Here's the thing about this one.  Fabric has repeats.  It's one pattern printed over and over again along a long piece of cotton.  This one is 23 inches wide ... the only one I could find in the store for this pattern that REQUIRES a 23 inch wide repeat.  

The interesting part is you put the pieces together with the same corners facing in.


Then you change to another corner.  Each time you get a completely different pattern with the same 6 pieces.


Pick your favorite, then sew it together.  There are 56 to be sewn together to make this quilt.  That's a pretty tough assignment for me .... making decisions from 168 ways to sew them up.  Decisions are not my forte!


Since it was cold, overcast and rainy all day long, I spent a good portion of the day sorting out quilts, fabric and anything I really need to take back to Cali.  The under-bed storage is now completely full.  

Today I'm off to have one of my propane tanks filled.  Here's hoping I can still lift it into the trailer.  Then poor Cooper has a Vet appointment for shots.  This is a test to see who is more expensive ... Arizona or California.  

Thanks for stopping by ... I hope you have a fabulous St. Patrick's Day celebration eating Irish Bacon.



20 comments:

  1. Happy Saint Patrick’s Day. I actually like the first pattern you posted, very busy but focal, the other two seemed less so.
    Packing is always hard work. Lifting tanks is also hard work but I have no doubt you will manage.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think THAT is busy, wait until you see the pieces put together! LOL

      Delete
  2. Happy St Patrick's Day Nancy!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances ... I hope you had a very nice day.

      Delete
  3. On Wednesday, 3/15 I went to our Safeway in Benson, AZ and bought my corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots. I paid $4.99/lb member price for the corned beef (I bought a small FLAT cut of meat). Non-member $5.99. The cabbage was on sale at 50 cents a pound. I came home and made the meal in my INSTANT POT. Ready in time for dinner and it was wonderful. I use red potatoes and find it satisfactory. We will have leftovers tonight, Friday, and perhaps again on Sunday. Very enjoyable & Yummy. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job Lynn!!! Instant pot works very well for corned beef!! I cook it just for the leftovers!

      Delete
  4. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you. Good to know more a out this day. I'm surprised Jonathan cares the biscuits are dry and flaky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parrots are mostly fruit eaters. An interesting fact .. they have no saliva glands so they need moisture to eat.

      Delete
  5. Nancy are you staying dry? Is the CA property safe? As for cooked cabbage, not in my house.
    Rex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Rex ... so good to hear from you. I don't do the cooked cabbage either! Yup staying dry, CA house is just fine and no flooding, at least until the spring thaw.

      Delete
  6. I like the first design pattern also and hope you will post a photo of the finished quilt. With the current temps here in Florida we do not have an appetite for cabbage and corned beef but dressed in green shirts and had a green salad ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then .... I guess I did okay since I too had a GREEN salad!! I'll post a picture of the quilt, but you'll have to put on your sunglasses.

      Delete
  7. Woah! Those are some busy patterns, I got dizzy just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there!!! This quilt will make you fall over if you look at it too long.

      Delete
  8. I love the bright colors! Poor Cooper and those shots :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I loved it too, but the pattern is SO busy!!!

      Delete
  9. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too.
    I just think it's neat that you can create so many patterns from those triangles!
    We had a pretty nice day, a tad cooler but still sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you. Interesting patterns from that material, I am looking forward to the post that shows what you decided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to believe it will make a nice Cooper blanket. At least he doesn't have far to fall from the busy fabric.

      Delete