Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Git-a-long Hitch

It's going to be an interesting day.  Just about any weather you can imagine ... we're getting it today.  It's 37 degrees and the sun SHOULD shine for a few hours before the big 26 mph winds begin yet again, followed up by rain.  

All the while, it's STILL snowing in California.  Since they have no clue how to drive in snow, most every road has been closed down completely.  In Montana or North Dakota, they don't even require chains most of the time.  I drove that area once in a motorhome while it was snowing.  SCARY CITY!!!  

Anyway, Miss Elva sent this little ditty to me and she would be right!  Hopefully I'll live long enough to sew up all that I have in my sewing rooms.


I'm taking a break again from the rodeo ... no use flooding you with cowboy pictures!  Breakfast was a healthy low cal plate of veggies disguised as pancakes with Canadian maple syrup.  No really ... that's a plate of veggies sitting there!  My food styling skills are pretty good, no?
 

I needed the extra strength to fix the hitch in my git-a-long.  As I mentioned before, I loaned out the hitch for a year and it ended up in an accident that totaled both the truck and the fifth wheel trailer.  It seemed to be fine, but what do I know.

I had some trouble hooking it up and it was not level like I thought it should be.  The fact that it tipped the wrong direction didn't help with my anxiety.

I tried to get it checked out at a dealer locally, but couldn't seem to find one reputable, so I called B & W.  I didn't think I needed the entire $1300 hitch, just the receiver top portion.  I finally said SHIP IT (from Kansas).  It was not cheap at $500, but this old hitch is actually 30 years old, so they do last a long time.  Amazingly, four days later it showed up by FedEx ... free shipping.

They said it was exactly like the old one ... no changes have been made.  That turned out to not be EXACTLY true, but the differences were minimal. 

I got out my tools.  Really, all I had to do was lift the old one off and set the new one on.  Eight times later my back was screaming at me since you can't raise up without smacking your head on the garage roof.  Ask me how I know that.

This was the biggest problem.  This little spring keeps the receiver at the right angle to hook up effortlessly.  Apparently it got moved in the accident and wasn't doing it's job at all.  "You'll have to take that off and move it up" said the guy on the phone ... "but you're going to break it, so just order another one now".

I like nothing better than a challenge!!  I actually got it off and placed in the proper position WITHOUT breaking it.  Again, lift the receiver off ... replace it.  Lift again, smear silicon grease all over the bushing and replace.  By the time I got done, I had that grease from my head to my knees.

TA-DA!!!  Well almost. I didn't have any Allen wrenches big enough to bolt the handle on (the one sticking out on the left), so a quick run over to the Chance house and Dan fixed it for me.  Look how level it is!!!!  The old one was an inch lower on the left.  

YAY!!!  The hitch in my git-a-long is like brand new.  Now if I can only get that silicon ring over the kingpin so I don't have to grease the plate.  


Surprisingly, it's the second day and I'm not very sore at all.  All that heavy lifting while bent over didn't seem to age me much at all.  The cracking of bones in the morning is epic, but otherwise I'm in good shape.  

I finished up this quilt in the afternoon as I watched yet another rodeo ... this time in Houston. 

My shadow is patiently waiting for his breakfast, so I better get to it.  Too bad my disguising skills don't work on HIS food.  He can definitely tell the difference between veggies and MEAT!

I'm also off on another exciting day of shopping.  The first Wednesday of every month is SENIOR DAY.  Hey, I'll take that 20% off any time.

It's also time for CONGRATULATIONS to the Chance house.  FORTY THREE years later, they are still married.  THAT is an accomplishment that obviously I was never able to master.  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY PATTY AND DAN!!




21 comments:

  1. You are very handy putting a new hitch in your truck and
    congrats to the Chance's on 43 years.
    You write a great blog Nancy and it makes me smile every morning.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! That's what it's all about ... smiling every morning no matter what.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary Patty and Dan.
    Congrats on the hitch job. Not always easy doing those things but it is educational. I’m sure Mr. Chance would slip the ring on the king pin if necessary. I have a difficult time getting mine on and off too when I need it replaced.
    The quilt is very nice. I really like the colours.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll lasso Mr. Chance for kingpin duty the next time he comes over. For some reason I love those colors too. Reminds me of mother nature's bees I guess.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Nancy. You've been a great friend for almost all of those 43 years, and it's been a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading your morning blog. I came across your blogs by accident. I don't know if you remember me but I remember you...Mcswain Elementary. You were always such a a sweet person to me.
    Frances Bispo Zeiders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of yes I do remember you Frances!!! McSwain ... that was a few years ago I think!!! Thank you for the sentiment. Where are you now?

      Delete
  5. Good job on that hitch install! Talked with my sisters yesterday and even Roseville had a bit of a dusting of snow, although the news people called it by some other name that I had never heard of before (seriously???).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to ask, are you talking B&W from Humboldt, KS? That is about 8 miles from me and several of my friend's husbands work there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... what a coincidence! Yes that's the B&W I'm talking about Joyce. GREAT people ... they were SO helpful and answered several "dumb" questions for me. Tell them I sing their praises every day.

      Delete
  7. Wow. Congratulations to Dan and Patty. May the good times continue. I need to take cooking lessons from you. My veggies don't look that good. Dave's snow comment...did the newscaster call the snow "graupel"? I had to Google. I read an article from the Sac Bee about the valley snow. They used a word I had never seen or heard of before. I think it was graupel. The storm is just starting in Wellton. It's going to be a stay inside day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope never heard of that word ... I guess they have to be fancy different from everyone else. I'll be happy to show you my veggie secret!

      Delete
  8. 43 years? Congratulations!

    Great job on the hitch, I know how heavy those buggers are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jim ... if I can stand up, it's easier, but leaning over was a bugger! Next time I'll move the truck outside!

      Delete
  9. Replies

    1. Thanks Bill ... I'm glad I was able to figure it out.

      Delete
  10. Amazing what you accomplish Nancy! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes,congratulations to the Chances & well done on the hitch.Yesterday on the news,it was noted that sustained exercise for only 11 minutes daily prolonged one’ life- there wasn’t any mention of fabric or sewing supplies,lol!Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well darn ... I thought all that sewing would make me live long enough to use up all that fabric! Oh well ........

      Delete