Sunday, January 10, 2021

Down, But NOT Out!!

I would love to tell you I've got images of a very cool ghost town, or maybe all the critters I found on that great hike into the wilderness.  Yes I would love to ... but the truth is, I spent literally the entire day on the couch staring into my phone.  Most surprising of all, I didn't throw it through the window, or even yell at the Techs I talked to hour after hour after hour after .......

Yes, I spent over EIGHT hours talking to just about everyone at Apple until THIS time I got some results. It's funny how hard it is to explain to someone that your phone does not ring when you call a number.  You know, that ring ring ring you SHOULD be hearing?  

It's utter silence for me, made worse by the fact that when people answered on the other end (when THEIR phone rang that is) they could not hear ANYTHING and hung up.  When they called me back, MY phone would ring and I could finally hear them.

Not able to get anyone on my phone, mostly because when THEY called me back, it didn't ring, I ended up in a texting marathon with Tech #1.  Tech #2 was soon on the phone, but said he would have to call me back.  

Nothing.  Tech #3 wanted to go through the entire routine again before Tech #4 came online.  In between I would call the Chance house, proving it still did not work.

Tech #5, after another twenty minute wait for someone to answer, quickly got the message to upgrade my call to HELP BEFORE SHE YELLS AT ME Tech #6.  At long last I was connected to someone who spoke good English and actually sounded like he knew what he was doing.  

How refreshing it was to speak to someone who, after much discussion, told me there was no reason to upgrade to a new phone.  My little black box was just fine.  He DID ask me to take the SIM card out.  Trouble raised its head immediately.  My phone is encased in a childproof black container, locked up like Fort Knox.  

No kidding, it took me ten minutes just to figure out HOW to get it out.  I was praying the entire time that I didn't crack the screen or destroy the phone.  Finally SUCCESS!  "Now take a pin and push in the little hole on the side to access the SIM card".  When I pulled the card out (now standing next to the couch), the phone went dead and the card dropped to the floor.

It's amazing how that 1/4" square card just disappeared.  Five minutes later I found it, but couldn't for the life of me get it back in the phone.  I definitely had visions of a very expensive replacement.  Luckily I got it fixed and the phone sprang to life ... except my new found friend had disappeared.  I may be down, but I'm not OUT yet!!

After another epic session, I was able to get him back.  Here's something interesting.  Did you know the phone companies now block most 800 phone numbers calling you?  They think it's SPAM.  That's why when Apple called me back, my phone didn't ring.  It did not allow the calls (four of them) to go through.  

At any rate, he recommended I get a new battery, since they usually last only two or three years.  Mine is six years old.  Best Buy will change it for $49.  Then of course there was another update.  I'm pretty sure my unlimited data (up to 15 gigs before it slows down) has disappeared, meaning the download will be slow as a tortoise racing a hare.  

It wasn't too bad however when we discovered our mutual fanaticism for nature photography.  He told me of his yearly adventures to Africa and all the amazing shots he got using his iPhone 10, which I'm sure he gets for FREE.  We talked cameras long enough that the download completed by 8:30 last night.

I must say it seems to be working better, and I'm ecstatic over the fact he said there was no need for a new phone.  The real test will be this morning when I try to call the Chance house.  In celebration of that, here's a couple of videos I captured the night before.  At long last SOME of the critters have returned.  For three nights, even the bunnies disappeared.  I had no visitors at all.


For this one, keep an eye on the left!!!  Too cute!!!


And so it's the beginning of a new day!!  I decided I can't complain about the cold any more.  I'm sitting at almost 3,000 feet above Yuma .... DUH!!!!  It's time to start making my pack-it-up list.  Woohoo!



22 comments:

  1. Woot woot! for Tech #6! Sometimes good things do come to those who wait. :)
    I love the videos. The last little guy on the right was washing his feet and the one on the left was smelling something fishy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't he cute ... standing up on his hind feet? Patience is a virtue when it comes to electronics!!

      Delete
  2. My you have been unlucky with electronic stuff lately. Between your new computer and your old phone I'm surprised you have any voice or hair left! Love your persistence though. Way to go 👧 cute little guys on the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well truly Doug, the hair is disappearing!! I'm trying my best to be patient though!!

      Delete
  3. No doubt that they (phone companies) are doing better stopping spam, but I STILL get a call or two a day from my same area code and prefix. I NEVER answer if I don't know the number, and I always put them into what my phone calls a "call rejection" category...now that the number is there, a call from it won't ring on my end but will on their end. They can leave a message, but 99% of the time I don't even know they called me again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing. Rarely get spam calls any more, but if you are EXPECTING a call and it doesn't come in, it probably got blocked. I still get the car warranty calls! LOL

      Delete
  4. You do have a lot of patience! I don't know much but you would think the tech would know not to take the sim card out and think you could still talk w him. Glad you got someone who speaks english! The videos are cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My exact question of the tech. "Oh, I'll call you back!" Well that doesn't work when the phone company blocks 800 numbers!

      Delete
  5. I have always been a SAMSUNG customer..... no problems.
    3 of my Apple friends have now changed over also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some times I think Apple has become too complicated to work correctly. I will definitely check out Samsung phones!!

      Delete
  6. There are companies out there call You break I fix the average battery is $10-$18 for an iPhone If you take it to one of those shops they’ll replace the battery for you at the same time you could have them update Your phone while it’s there also if you take your laptop to any pc / Apple Repair shop For a small fee they’d be more likely glad to help you walk you through the procedure that you’re having difficulty with Along with giving you some really good tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most telemarketers / spam don,t use 800 numbers anymore ($$$$)More likely they will actually use your same area code to trick you into answering

      Delete
    2. True about the telemarketers, but I'm not getting the number of spam calls I used to. Best Buy is one of Apple's repair shops, charging $49 for the battery. Probably because Apple gets $40 of it!! I'll check out other store for battery replacement.

      Delete
  7. Lol. Sorry to laugh. Jerry pulled a sim card out, it fell to the floor, we never found it. When we stayed in Tucson 6 weeks last year I was amazed to find out the elevation of Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told the carrier will give me another SIM card (they are so tiny) but will probably charge me a fortune!
      I'm up in the mountains a little, making it much colder!!

      Delete
  8. Telemarketers can even type in your number to call YOUR NUMBER!
    Has happened to me- very strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next-door neighbor works for a telemarketing company
      There they use what is called a random generator Sequence Something on this order 1321xxx1234. 1321xxx1235 If you are foolish enough to pick up the phone and fall for their spiel they will ask you for your telephone number as a verification Your state and address. You could ask them to take you off the list and they will tell you that they will but they don’t because they have no way of import the do not call list is for landline telephones only
      Our office has three phones all three phones run in sequence so if you get one telemarketer you’ll actually get 2 more. If the telemarketer is a big company (The generator can call thousands of numbers In the course of of minutes..)
      which most of them are we get the rings simultaneously.
      Most direct dials are designed to ring four times and hang up Your phone is designed to be picked up on the Fourth ring
      If you try to call back the number on your phone by hitting redial it will basically tell you it’s not a good number. Do you wanna buy a used car warranty real cheap they’ll have a good deal for you they’re great at separating your money from your bank account

      Delete
    2. I've seen my own number numerous times too. It's a weird feeling to see your number calling you!

      Delete
    3. Ed ... does your neighbor have YOUR phone number? I would ask him to delete it. I like to play with them sometimes. Last time I waited until a person came on and then screamed "CLEAN UP THAT BLOOD!!" They hung up real quick!!

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear you had some success! Hope everything continues on a positive path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ...... me too. But sometimes the new language is just too much for the old phone. We shall see how long it lasts.

      Delete
  10. It's never a fun day having to deal with Tech issues. Glad you got that straightened around and hope that's the end of the problem.
    As I've said before the animals are hearing sound from your Game Camera and they check to be sure they are Safe.
    Be safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete