Sunday, November 24, 2019

They Saw Me Coming!!

Anyone ever watch Beetlejuice?  It's a crazy movie about ghosts, goblins and Halloween.  I was instantly reminded of that movie when I spotted this quilt in a fabric store in Bend Oregon about five years ago .... maybe six.  They saw me coming, I just KNOW it!!

"Here comes another sucker ... uuuurrr CUSTOMER!  Quick ... put that crazy looking Halloween quilt out front and center.  She'll bite, I just KNOW it!!"  I casually walked in the store, not having a clue.  Oh look .... FABRIC!!!

Let's face it ... my name is Nancy and I'm addicted to fabric.  The wilder and more colorful, the better.  So when my eyes fell on this beauty, the need for all things Halloween (my all time favorite holiday) kicked in and I had to have it.

I mean really, how could you turn down a quilt with lime green ruffles, followed up with creamsicle orange ruffles for good measure.  Yup ... they saw me coming and tricked me into buying the last kit they had without ever reading the instructions or checking out the fabric.
It seemed simple enough.  Sew five inch squares together.  They forgot to mention that the ruffle material is 50% nylon mesh.  You know what?  You really can't iron nylon mesh because ... you guessed it ... it MELTS!!  Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for getting something similar to gum OFF the bottom of my iron?  

Getting it cut out was one thing, but sewing it together was a true Beetlejuice nightmare!  It stretches just by looking at it.  Then .... just to make it as difficult as possible ... the edges roll under so you can't sew it evenly.  

Once the square is done, you iron it flat (making sure NOT to touch the ruffle) and cut the perfectly good square again, right down the middle BOTH ways.  Now try to turn each piece correctly and sew it together AGAIN.   An hour later, it looked like this.  Gee .... only ELEVEN more to go!!

I wish I could call up Beetlejuice to zap it together for me.  I'm pretty sure my quilter will come unhinged when she sees those ruffles.  This may become a stitch-in-the-ditch project for me.

On another front, I spent four hours yesterday going through one single account, doing bookkeeping for my friend.  It seems she sold one piece of property and bought FOUR more rentals.  Here I thought we were gearing down in the accounting department.  Instead, I now have 50% MORE work to do.

I have maybe two more hours today to finish up before I even BEGIN the other accounts.  It's all good though ... she's a great lady and has been a wonderful friend for almost 40 years.  I would do anything for her.

In the meantime, I spotted a new gizzy for my Instant Pot.  Since my Chef hat is still hanging in there, I thought I might try something new.  It's all an adventure, right?????  Maybe I should have a cleanup crew on standby!






8 comments:

  1. At least you don't have to worry about Halloween until next year.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the outcome of the Instant Pot.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll come up with a Beetlejuice costume next year!

      Delete
  2. I loved Beetlejuice, have seen it a few times with my kids and then on my own. :)
    Love the quilt. So, that is yours put together? Impressive!
    Wondering what your new gizzy is. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not the quilt, that's ONE square. Only eleven more to go!!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry I had to giggle when I saw the title. I used to tell Tom all the time there must be a flashing sign on my forehead that says "sucker. All I can say you have way more patience then I ever did when it came to sewing.
    Reading your last couple of posts...yeah, to you have ice cream!
    Looking forward to seeing what you paint. In my head I think I could do that...out my fingers come stick people or animals...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have the same painting results .. we shall see. I try to be smarter in my appropriations, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

      Delete
  4. Hee hee. Stick people. That's the extent of my talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got me thinking ... maybe that's what I should paint! LOL

      Delete