Monday, September 16, 2019

Things Are Closer Than They Appear

Although not in the case of the moon, things around here are closer than they appear in pictures.  The moon looked like you could reach up and touch it on Friday the 13th.  I've made no mention of it thus far because it's usually the cause of weirdness in my life.  Now that it's passed, I can post a picture.  Too bad it's not MY picture.  Cloud cover kept us from seeing anything that night.
My steam iron was MUCH closer than it appeared, as I was working on some appliqué (hand sewing) work.  Out of the blue, it shot out a scorcher cloud that steamed my hand quite nicely.  I'm sure I could smell BBQ.  Thanks to everyone for the bag-o-peas remedy.  It worked quite nicely.
Since my rig returned with no recall work done, I figured I might as well clean out the basement while it was relatively empty of everything RV.  I vacuumed from top to bottom and replaced what I could.  It's funny how it didn't all fit back inside, although it was close.  
Things are definitely closer than they appear here.  The train looks small and far away, but it's VERY close.  It's a good thing I love trains, although a steam train going by would be MUCH nicer.  
They've been working on the tracks for the last month, dropping off new concrete timbers for under the rails.  That means lots of REALLY loud equipment going along at 2 mph taking out the old spikes.  Actually, spikes have been eliminated for some time.  They have hook-like things now.  Once undone they pull out the old timber and slide in the concrete one.  

Try as I might, I couldn't get close enough to see how it was done.  How can a machine do all that?  They spent almost three hours in front of my house, possibly because it's on a curve.  Go forward ... DING DING DING ... back up.  Then the engine would stop and I would hear lots of banging, like with sledge hammers.  Start it up ... go forward again!  I thought they would never get done.
Then this guy came along throwing huge amounts of dust into the air with a loud grinding sound.  All of this is at night, by the way.  Then the original big machine came back and they started all over again last night.  In the mornings they take a break to let the freight trains pass.  
This baby is NOT closer than it appears.  Arizona Pizza Company has a place close by where I can get my pizza fix once in a blue moon.  It's definitely not on my diet ... only because of the crust ... but it's a quick and easy dinner.  I broke it up into 8 packages and stuck it in the freezer.  It will make perfect dinners for the week I'll be on the road.  No cooking for me!!!

By the way, if you are anywhere around Tucson, friend them on Facebook and they will post a secret password on Thursdays that will get you a discount.  This $25+tax pizza came to $21.37 including tax.  It's better than a kick in the pants!!  The pizza is good too!
It's sewing and experimental dessert day.  I made my first ever Keto red velvet cake and I'm experimenting on the gals at sewing.  Truthfully, I'd rather skip dessert than eat Keto cakes and brownies.  I'll let you know how it turns out!!





12 comments:

  1. Pizza AND Cake, I'm On My Way

    Cheers
    P.S. Wonderful Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I do love photography. No kidding ... pizza and cake should be staples in everyone's life. LOL

      Delete
  2. The day before we leave I like to get a large pizza. We have enough left over for two meals. It's nice to know that for two days on the road I don't have to cook. Elva Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elva ... we think so much alike. That's my plan exactly.

      Delete
  3. Interesting about the trains. I guess it makes sense to do all that work in the evening but the noise must be a drag. :(
    The pizza looks awesome!
    Keto Red Velvet cake - yum - let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working on the rails would be fun to watch , but not in the dark. Thats pizza looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fascinating all that they did ... I just wonder HOW they did it.

      Delete
  5. I've been known to scrape the topping off a pizza and just eat that. I've also been known to just go ahead and eat the pizza. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Linda!! I gave that two seconds thought before eating the whole thing!!

      Delete
  6. Welders are taught that the first thing you do to a burn is submerge it in cool to cold water ASAP. Even if it's dirty water it stops the cooking action of the burn. Old Blacksmiths did the same thing. Don't stand there with the burn held high. After the initial cool down then you can Ice (Frozen Peas) it. Once the sting is gone then you can clean it up and use Antiseptic Lotion. The following day it might be hard to tell where the burn was.
    Pizza does look tasty.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. The best news is that it didn't burn as bad as it felt. I'm good to go now!

      Delete