Monday, January 11, 2016

Trash and Trail!!

We all donned our best cleaning outfits, jumped on five golf carts and spread out across the fairgrounds looking for liquid gold.  Actually it was trash, but you never know ... you just might find a hundred dollar bill.  All I found was a dead bird.  The Golden Spike group cleaned up the twenty acres that is the Indio Date Festival Fairgrounds, and did it in record time.  There is one thing to say about this group of RV'ers .... they don't leave a big mess.

Within two hours everyone was back closing up their rigs and heading different directions.  Since I'm going to visit the Last Chance Ranch in Tucson, along with a short stay at Quartzsite, I followed the Chance rig down the long trail South.  

I really hate to say it, but I know for a fact that Mr. and Mrs. Russell (of Gypsy Journal fame), long time responsible for all the weather within 500 miles, have left the country heading East.  OUR weather is now spectacular!!  40-60 and sunny!!!   You KNOW we love you Nick!!!
Heading South on Hwy 86, we cruised right along, except for those five stop signs in the middle of nowhere.
We passed the Salton Sea, hardly visible in the sun's reflection.  Take your time along here, as the roads have become bomb shells, pretty much like sections of hard freeze in Alaska.  Poor Jonathan was hanging on with all his toes AND his beak.  When he's a little nervous, he squawks and talks up a storm, so I passed the time screaming disco, kitty kitty kitty come on, whatcha doing and whistling.  
Somewhere along the line we made a left turn and bypassed Brawley on Hwy 111 before hitting Hwy 8 East.  Here's a beautiful sight ... the All American Canal, which means we are VERY close to Yuma.  
With hardly any traffic, we breezed along, finally landing at our destination for the week, Western Sands RV Park.  Dan makes reservations in advance, since they have very few spots available for short timers.  Lucky for us, we get the same two spots every year.  There's lots of room so you can't hear your neighbor cough and the cost of $135 a week includes electricity.  You DO however, have to park in front of an audience of 10-15 people who come out to see you screw up.  This is Dan's forte however, and to the disappointment of the crowd, we both parked in record time!!

We immediately headed off to Cracker Barrel, our favorite restaurant next to Golden Corral.  I tried to talk Patty into the all-you-can-eat buffet at Kentucky Fried Chicken, but they don't serve her favorite "trout". 
I got my fried chicken fix anyway ... Sunday supper!  I have to say this was the best fried chicken I've ever had in my entire life.  Lucky for me, for a measly $10, there's enough for two more meals!!
The best thing yet ...... I got to sleep in until 6:00!!!!!  I know it was only due to the time change but I feel better anyway!!  Today's agenda will take us to the theatre to check out a couple of new movies,  then it's all rest for me ... except for the quilt show ... and the quilt store ... getting our rigs washed and waxed ... washing the dogs .... !!  Maybe I'll rest NEXT week!!








6 comments:

  1. I hope we get to see you, and the Chances, while you're in Yuma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely will .... I know where you are, but could you give me a street name? I'll receive an email when you post here, then I will delete your post. I should be able to find it based on the pictures.

      Delete
  2. From early April to end of November we were without Cracker Barrel, and that same Cracker Barrel was our first spot to eat when we hit Yuma too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just LOVE CB!! Great food, great price!! Hope the weather is nice in Florida!!

      Delete
  3. When you get to Yuma, don't forget to pickup the Cpacks and other meds at the Purple Pharmacy on the other side of the border. Best to know what the US prices are because some of the prices in Mexico can actually be higher than the US price after your insurance reimbursement. Information is always power. You can bring a 90 day supply back that you intend to use for personal use. We did it once and customs looks at every medication you bring back presumably to be assured that the amount does not exceed a 90 day supply. Of course they have nothing to compare what 90 days would be because you don't have a prescription. Alternatively, they just want to be nosey and paw all over your possessions. What about some vodka for Vaddy? You definitely aren't allowed a 90 day supply of that, the limit is more like quart or something. I'm thinking that might be more like a 90 minute supply of Vodka for him. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's going to be our first stop Jim. The vodka would be a good idea and I'm thinking you're right ... a 90 minute supply at most!! Wonder if he drinks tequila? It's probably cheaper!! Hahahaha

      Delete