Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Look ...... Up In The Sky!!!

If you believe in sending your wishes up to heaven, this is a GREAT way to do it!!  Miss Patty bought a lantern last year, but never put it to use, so night before last, she brought it out when we were enjoying the campfire.  It's a paper lantern about three feet tall that you light on fire, then let it rise up into the atmosphere.  It was a little hard to read the directions by campfire, then both Patty and I held the top up and the bottom open while Dan lit the fire.
It has a wax square inside that when lit, provides the hot air making it rise.  Finally it lit, then we had to hold on to it for 45-90 seconds ... YIKES ... watch your fingers .... until we let it go.  It went so fast I almost didn't get pictures.  We watched it for about five minutes until it went totally out of sight.  What a fun thing to do!!  So much so that Dan bought five to try at home with their granddaughter.
Too bad we didn't have three or four at once, but we would have needed eight people to get them in the air.  About that time we looked up to see a big ring around the moon.  How cool is that??
Pretty soon the fire burned down and it was bedtime ... turns out it was only 8:00!!!
After a good night's sleep (generator man didn't hit the start switch), we took off to check out the local flea markets.  First we made a stop at the Post Office to mail off my CCW application.  I definitely suggest nose plugs if you have to go here.  Standing in line among those dry camping for months on end can be a little abrasive, to say the least.  

Back to the flea market, we were pleased to see one of our old favorites was booming.  Almost empty last year, it has many more vendors and was packed with traffic.  

Patty and I always visit Joe Rangel here for turquoise.  He's probably the only one who makes most of his own jewelry to sell.  This spider web turquoise and coral bracelet ended up being a keeper.
Our favorite cranky lady is still in business, selling thousands of olive buckets and pieces of metal and tin welded together into garden art, letters and really cute stuff.  Her prices however, are a little over the top and she doesn't bargain ... AT ALL!!!  We walked right through.
In the back corner of this vendor area are all the tractors and farm equipment for sale.  
I have no idea what a good John Deere goes for nowadays, but these old babies were rocking and ready to roll!!
At one junk booth, I saw this old spittoon ... well not really old, but it says Union Pacific RR on the side.  When I asked the price, I was pretty shocked to hear $20, so I said yes ... didn't even try to bargain, silly girl .... then carried it for the next hour.
Truth be told, it's not REAL.  There are lots of fakes around, including this one.  The spittoons used on the trains were low to the ground so they wouldn't fall over.  No matter, it suits me just fine and will make a great train table decoration ... or flower pot ... or whatever!!
As usual with the overcast cloudy skies here in Quartzsite, there was another magnificent sunset.  They don't last long, so for this one I just sat on the ground and snapped away.
They change from minute to minute, lighting up the sky with the most amazing colors.
It was another spectacular end to an awesome day!!  
So I'm sitting in the dark this morning typing the blog.  I unplugged everything except the fridge and the heaters for both myself and Jonathan in order to keep my batteries going until I can start the generator.  I don't know why I bother to be nice .... downwind from me I heard one going strong at 5:00 am.  

Today we are on the hunt for six AGM batteries for my rig.  Did you see dollar signs when I said that ($$$$$)??  Yup, they are expensive, but the alternative of cleaning my battery box every few months doesn't set well with me.  It's a big mess I don't want to deal with any more!!  I'll let you know what I find out.




4 comments:

  1. My grandfather was a tobacco chewer; I wonder what happened to his brass spittoon?

    Yes, having no maintenance to do makes AGMs well worth their price in my opinion. I hope yours make you as happy as mine did me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check it out Linda ... they make great door stops ... the spittoons that is!!

      Delete
  2. well instead of sending the mad Russian mail-order groom an expensive Christmas present next year
    Maybe a 240w solar panel might be On your wish list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked into solar, but to be honest, I don't dry camp enough to make it worth the expense. With the exception of an occasional night at Walmart, this week in Q is the extent of it. It wouldn't be a problem normally, but I have the "bird" that requires heat!!

      Delete