Wednesday, March 11, 2015

WHAT??? Not Again!!

UGH ... I woke up with a bad sore throat and that (not normal) heavy feeling in my chest!!  Surely I can't be sick AGAIN???  I think it's going to be a couch day!!

I know where it came from ... those Bingo people will drag themselves to play, come hell or high water!!  I try my best to turn away when I hear coughing, as they actually stand in line and brag about how sick they are.  No matter how many times I wash my hands during the night, it doesn't clean the bugs out of the air.

Isn't this pretty??  They are the dobbers we sell to mark the Bingo cards, most of which we sold last night!!  I'm telling you, Bingo is SERIOUS business!!!  
My co-hort Ann ran the cash register this time as I counted the packs.  You have to be on your toes as 152 people come through the line, many trying to get a couple extra cards free!  They have something called Hot Ball, which everyone pays a dollar for, getting a stamp on their hand.  Then they pick a "winning" number.  The first person to win a Bingo with that number, wins the Hot Ball pot.  Last night it was over $1,000, which is why so many people showed up ... and no one won.  It rolls over to next week, which means we will be blasted again ... that is if I recover enough to cashier by then!!
The other interesting news is that due to the water shortage, our local Irrigation District is out of water.  For years, they've been selling it elsewhere and charging the local farmers a ton for what little is left.  With the drought the last few years, they finally stopped selling it "out of town", mostly because they have none to sell.  The notice went out to farmers that no water will be available this year.  With THAT little nugget of information, you can expect very little, if any, fruits and vegetables from central California.  I imagine the Mexican markets will be thriving!!

To make it even worse ... no new wells will be allowed in the Valley.  With the water shortage, people have been drilling irrigation wells on their property and completely draining the water tables.  Guess who the biggest culprit is!!!  OUR Irrigation District!!  They put in lots of wells and have been draining the water table for years, selling what is essentially free water to the farmers.  There are TWO of these wells on our ranch property, where our water table used to be at 3-5 feet ... now it's below 100.  The Irrigation District's newest solution is to not allow any well permits (you can't drill without a permit).  California's water problems are getting worse and worse!!

Not that it helps, but I woke up to the nice sound of rain on my roof this morning.  It's going to be a long dry summer, with eggs at $5 a dozen and vegetables non-existent.  I hear Arizona calling my name again ........

2 comments:

  1. Just read an article that the Portland Rose Festival is held each spring and is the second biggest Rose Festival in the US after Pasadena. They didn't give a specific date or contact info but if your headed to Oregon anyways it might be worth investigating. If you go I have a great CG in Portland. You could compare notes on the two festivals. Just a thought for a bored lady. Good luck getting over the germs. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds GREAT Jim .... I'll look it up and let you know!! Yay!! Another line on my "Bucket List"!!

      Delete