Saturday, March 14, 2015

Reason #67

On my long list of reasons to move out of California, #67 has to do with Health Care.  Basically, there is none where I live.  This town has 88,000 people and is so short of Doctors, it's a crying shame.  Who can blame them for not wanting to live in the armpit of California?  Certainly not me ... but that results in lots of problems for those that DO live here and need even minimal health care.

I woke up to gorgeous skies yesterday morning, but my throat was so sore I barely noticed.  I'm not talking your normal sore throat ... it felt like I swallowed one of those beautiful cactus plants I came home with, and it burned like I ate a ghost chili pepper WHOLE!!  Nothing helped, not even the tablespoon of ice cream I tried to swallow!!
Almost in tears, I called my primary Doctor.  "We can get you in to see the Doctor in two months.  Maybe you should go to the ER".  Really??  I should go to the Hospital Emergency Room for my sore throat / flu or whatever it is?  In this town, that's like a death penalty ... those that enter, never return.  No thank you!!

I headed to the local Urgent Care Facility instead, arriving at 8:25 am.  The waiting room was packed to the brim, with people sitting on the floor.  The receptionist was very nice, and apologetically stated that the wait was two hours.  The screaming kids in the corner helped me make the decision to pass.  I asked if there were any other Urgent Care Facilities in the area, whereupon she gave me directions to the only other one in town.

I arrived at the second facility at 8:35 and was thrilled to see only two people in the waiting room.  YES!!  Finally health care in hopefully, less than 30 minutes.  Alas, I was sadly mistaken!!  After filling out 6 pages of medical history and providing three forms of I.D., I took a seat and waited.

And waited ...

And waited some more while the two before me were called in, along with three more that entered AFTER me.  I'm sick ... I'm grumpy ... but you would be proud, I held my tongue!!  Finally .... over TWO HOURS LATER, I was called in.  Once stuck in a room, I had another long wait while I listened to the staff laugh and have a great time in the hallway.  I also heard the Doctor apologize to the nurse because he went to the wrong room when he SHOULD have been seeing ME!!

More waiting ... then the nurse came in and said "Okay Nancy, you're all set" ... and opens the door for me to leave.  WAIT!!!  I haven't even seen the Doctor yet!!!  Oh she says, and closes the door.  Another fifteen minutes and the Doctor finally came in, gave me the once over and in less than three minutes was gone like a flash!!

Almost exactly THREE hours after I entered the building, I had my antibiotic prescription in hand.  I'm thinking I probably could have gotten in and out of the other facility faster.  Lets face it ... there's just NO good health care here.  Those doctors that DO exist aren't taking any new patients, so people have no choice but to go to the Emergency Room, where I hear the wait is between 5 and 7 hours.

Reason #67 alone is enough to make me want to leave this area.  Thank goodness I'm usually healthy because if I really had something bad, I think I would be out of luck!!  Sniff, cough, cough  ........ (big sigh) ......... SNEEZE!!!


10 comments:

  1. IF you move to Arizona, move far enough south you can just run across the border and get antibiotics. Just walk in and tell them what you want. It should be that easy here too.

    Please get well and be careful on the road.
    Rex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Rex. I have to say that my amoxicillin was only $10 at Walgreens. That was a shock!!!

      Delete
  2. Apparently the medical staff in your area has right sized to the future population of the area. The medical profession should be solving the health issues in the area, not contributing to the long lines at the emergency room.
    It seems about 15 years ago in our area the medical personnel found a way to get their job done easier. Their next appointment available is so far out that you either die or you cure yourself before that date.
    Next time it takes three hours to get your prescription ask the doctor for your next prescription too. When he looks confused, just tell them you are being proactive and helping them manage their workload better, because obviously they are doing a pretty poor job of it. Hope you get better soon. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe you're right Jim!! A sad state of affairs!!

      Delete
  3. Nancy, I have had those sore throats before, not fun at all. Back in 2012 I was "headed that way" and just happened to have a phone call from our Investment Bankers, a real nice married couple. 'Wade' told me that 'if' I gargled with that nasty tasting, gold, original Listerine, holding the liquid in the back of my throat as long as I could, that within 1-2 days my throat would be fine. Well, I had trouble holding it in the back of my throat for very long, so I did it often for short time periods...by the third day this sore throat which was headed for what you had was gone! I have never had a sore throat for more than 36 hours since then, and never one that got out of hand. The stuff is nasty, kills all germs, which is why it seems to work. --Dave (GoingRvWay.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to the store!!!! Thank you so much for the info. Apparently I'm prone to this sort of thing!!! Hopefully this will be my last!!!

      Delete
  4. I had to go to urgent care while we were in Camp Verde, AZ. Short wait, wonderful PA in and out in less than 45 minutes with the "Z" Pack " antibiotics Get well soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping for the Z-Pack Betty ... seems everyone else gets it, but for some reason, they never give ME that one. I know it works fast ... next time I'll ask for it!!

      Delete
  5. Nancy, maybe they never heard of Z-Packs in your area. If you get to Yuma, you can walk across and get a couple for when you need it. Then you will not be at the mercy of the medical profession who obviously do not do a great job for you. Also avoiding Bingo might help to. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great idea!! I never thought about getting those in Mexico. Next time I'm in the area, I will definitely pick up a couple. You are right again Jim, avoiding Bingo is probably the best answer!!

      Delete