Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Dump Those Plastic Cutting Mats!!

You know those packs of plastic cutting mats we all use in our rigs because they are so light and easy to carry?  According to the latest info from one of my daily cooking shows, it's time to toss them in the garbage and buy REAL wood boards.  The reason you ask??  Bacteria ... germy grimy little creatures that can make you sick.  Not that I've ever been sick from this that I know of, but I'm all for safety.  

So here's the thing ... when your knife cuts the plastic, germs from lets say raw chicken, get in the grooves, which is near impossible to get out.  Even if you wash with soap and water, they can still linger in the grooves.  Wood on the other hand, actually heals itself after being cut and washed, to some extent anyway.  So they recommend you throw the plastic away and buy wood.  They didn't say what kind of wood ... but this bamboo board came from TJ Maxx for $3.99 and is very lightweight.  If truth be known, my cutting boards are fifteen years old or more, so scarred I can't even GET them clean ... so in the trash they went!!
To get out of the house (I know, I just got home, right??) I went with a friend yesterday to an out-of-town store for some makeup and hair supplies.  I hate people who steal.  Yes, hate is a strong word ... but what makes people think they deserve to steal from other hard working folks just trying to make a living??  The line I use had at least 30 samples glued to the front of the display.  There were 7 still in place.  Someone had ripped off the other 23 samples, so no one else can try the color and see if it's what they want.  They have done the same with the actual boxes of product for sale.  While there should have been a hundred or more, there was about 20.  To make it even worse, the store doesn't seem to care in the least.  When we brought it up, the salesgirl said "Oh yeah, people steal all the time so we never replace the display".  GRRRRR  

On a brighter note, it's time to pay the bills and balance the checkbook!!  That should take all of five minutes, since there's not much there to worry about!!  All of my County retired friends were thrilled that the association is giving us a 3-1/2% COLA (cost of living allowance) increase this year.  What they don't know is that the oldest retirees get the 3-1/2 ... by the time they get to those of us who have retired in the last 5 years, it's 1-1/2%.  I'll take it though .... it's better than none at all!!!

Time to refill my DEF tank on the motorhome.  Every time I use a box, I put it on my Walmart list so I always have 4 boxes in the rig.  Walmart has the cheapest DEF-in-a-box.  I purchased a nice 5 gallon container so I could buy DEF at the pumps, but found out I couldn't lift it when full.  It's much more expensive in the boxes, so I'm paying extra for the convenience.  It's better than incurring the wrath of truck drivers when you pull through the pumps the wrong direction, making them back up so you can get out!

My favorite so far ... it just needs backing and to be quilted.  Nuff said!!!
It's Tuesday ...  Germ City Bingo night.  I'm not sure I want to venture there, but since very few people volunteer for this assignment, I hate to bow out.  The people who DO show up to help have become good friends who (whom?) I don't want to disappoint ... or make work harder because I'm not there.  Now where did I put that hospital mask????


4 comments:

  1. What is DEF?

    Please be careful on the road.
    Rex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEF is diesel exhaust fluid Rex. Diesel engines made from 2012 on (I think) have to have a tankful of this fluid that is sprayed into your exhaust system to reduce emissions. The first RV's to come out, mine being one, have the tank on the passenger side. The Diesel Service Stations put in dispensers on the DRIVERS side. I'm guessing I use a 2 gallon container about every 1,000 miles or so, most of it when under a heavy load, like going up hills. On flat ground it doesn't use much at all.

      Delete
  2. Gamblers, aka bingo players, will go even if they are sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY Jan .... they even come in wheelchairs with oxygen bottles. Crazy, right???

      Delete