Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Recall ... A Dirty Word!!!

If there is anything that will make you cringe, it's the word RECALL on an envelope with the name of your NEW 2012 Tiffen Phaeton!!  Almost enough for a heart attack!!!  After the high of three weeks of Arizona fun, I was immediately brought back to earth.   I had the notice from Daimler Trucks North America before I left, but didn't think too much of it.  When I called yesterday, they said I should take care of this immediately!!!  Thankfully, it doesn't look too bad unless you mind that the cruise control may not disengage and your brake lights may not come on when you hit the brakes.

The problem that became apparent after four phone calls was where to take it for the fix.  It took two phone calls and a transfer to locate the person who could give me a list of repair shops.  The first three located in my area stated they could not "pull up" that recall (whatever that means) and therefore could not help me.  Finally the last call to Fresno Truck Center resulted in an appointment at either 7:30 am or 4:00 pm.  Of course I chose the early, most convenient time, and plan to take several books to read.  Although the letter states it should only take an hour, the service guy said these usually take 4-5 hours.  I guess I will see on February 20 when I arrive in Fresno bleary eyed from getting up at 0 dark thirty to be there by 7:30!!

The more fun part of the day was when I went to Sears to check out toolboxes.  Having my greasy screwdrivers in the RV counter dish drainer, isn't acceptable nor sanitary ... so I bought this beauty, mostly for it's gorgeous color and it's Craftsman quality!!!   Actually I REALLY wanted the fluorescent green VIPER, but couldn't justify that kind of price.  This box is a LOT heavier than I thought and after struggling to get it out of the truck and out of the box, I was pretty proud of the new home for my tools.  The bad news came when I placed it in the belly of the beast and it is TOO TALL!!!   I have access to the tool box on one side, but it won't slide the other direction, making things on the opposite side accessible.  That sure took the air out of my balloon!!   All packed up, it's going back today!!   Hoping I'll find another just a little bit smaller!!  Maybe it's a sign I should have bought the VIPER!!!

1 comment:

  1. Part of the RV adventures is spending time at a service station. New or old rig doesn't matter, I guess.

    ReplyDelete