Monday, January 28, 2013

Head 'Em Up ... Move 'Em Out!!

My time at Quartzite has come to an end, but no fear, I'll be back!   This was my first week-long boondocking trip and I'm hooked.  Thanks Patty and Dan for sharing this experience and for bringing the firewood, even though it curtailed your shopping a little by taking up the entire back of the jeep!!  

Once packed up and ready to head out, Dan double checked the Tow Defender to see how it moved when making sharp turns.  I think I see one in their future!!!  I fueled up at the new Flying J just West of Q-town, probably paying too much for diesel ($4.05), but it's worth the ease of in and out for me!!  Then it hit me ... I'm going to California ... and I have a huge sack of oranges and a moldy head of lettuce in my fridge.  Panic time!!  I'm going to jail!!  I finally found a pullout just in time for the first checkpoint.  Oranges hidden (surely you didn't think I was going to throw them away!!) and lettuce in a trash bag in the belly, I quickly discover it's just a Border Check station.  The relief was only momentary when I realized there were still two oranges in the dish drainer, right out in the open on the counter!!!  Oh No!!!!  Another stop and those disappeared before I hit the produce inspection station, where the nice guy just waived me through!!  Didn't even ASK me if I had anything.  Much ado about nothing!!!!

I made it through the Palm Springs-Indio area without too much trouble, although it was sprinkling the entire time.  No problem ... the Rainex applied by my good buddy Dan worked like a charm.  The twitch in my right eye from the traffic should subside any day now!!  

Arabian Oasis in Boron hasn't changed in three weeks ... given the choice between power and water or sewer, I chose to pull forward and have power.  I tried to ignore the creepy guy hanging around staring at me and the puppies and didn't go out in the dark.  I woke up to socked in fog, which I'm used to, living in the Central Valley.  Around 9:00 it lifted and I was off, heading straight into the storm!!
It was hard to tell if it was rain or fog, but windshield wipers were required!!  Going over Tehachapi I hit one small clear spot for this picture.  Visibility was nada!!  I was going 45 mph at best and was surprised to find a trucker more nervous than me only going 35mph!!  Unfortunately, I had to follow him the entire way to Bakersfield.  Traffic was awful and I couldn't see well enough to make a lane change.  I'm sure the twitch in my left eye will stop in a week or so from that one!!!
Finally home, I was shocked to see the state of my jeep.  Patty had warned me about this when it comes to Alaska, but my what a mess!!  Good news is I get free car washes for life from the dealer where I purchased it!!
It was all worth it when I placed that Quartzite flea market calf hide on my recliner!!
All said and done, it was the most awesome trip I've taken so far!!  I met lots of new friends that I can't wait to see again!!  One of the most amazing sites in Arizona that I will remember for a long time are the sunrises/sunsets.  I took several images one morning to document the progress of the sunrise!  Yes, these are SUNRISE pictures straight from the camera!!

I thought it was done at this point ... but it just kept getting better!!


Goodby Arizona ... see you next year!!!



1 comment:

  1. I'm new to your blog and look forward to seeing more of your awesome photos. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete