Sunday, June 23, 2024

TA DA!!!!!!!

 Here's a hint.  It's a waiting room, right?  Have you figured it out yet?  I know you have.  Let's just say it's ALL DAVE'S FAULT!!


Here's another hint.  "Don't Forget Your Key".  


And HERE is the story.  My photographer friend Renate bought a Camper Van.  She took it out on her first long trip a couple months ago.  Having a little experience in that area, I was able to help her a bit with a few things she didn't know.  She has never been RVing before in her life.  

Then Dave and Marcia said they were looking for a camper van.  Hmmmm maybe that is the answer to me not lifting heavy weights like big bottles of propane and the steps into my fifth wheel.  When Renate returned, I went over and scoped out her rig.  I loved it.  Small ... yes ... but I thought doable.

The hunt was ON!  I looked at truck campers, but they had even LESS room than this, plus I would probably need a one ton truck.  That cost about the same as this beauty that I found about 40 miles down the road.  Thank you Dave and Marcia for solving my RV problems.


I looked at several different models, but they had minuscule refrigerator/freezers.  This one has the same size as my fifth wheel did.  So here it is, but not without a little stress.  I was supposed to pick it up a week ago, but they said the AC wasn't working good enough.  They ordered an entire new one.  WOW!  But that made it another week for installation.  I cancelled THAT ride with Diane, and scheduled another one with Renate.  She wanted to go back because she had some questions.  Sadly, she got sick and didn't want to infect me.  I didn't want to BE infected!!

Yesterday was the appointed pickup day, but now I didn't have a ride.  That's when Cyndae asked for a room at the Kissack Hotel so she could take care of some house sale business.  Good friends are worth a million bucks.  She drove me up there yesterday to pick it up.


Driving it was a breeze ... with just a little bit of that motorhome movement.  Figuring out HOW to drive it was another story.  Good grief ... there's no key.  Most of you probably know you have to step on the brake first, but I didn't.  On the left is the cruise control.  YIKES!!  It took ten miles before I figured THAT out.  I think the right is all telephone, but to be honest, I don't know.  I was just concentrating on staying in my lane.


Floorboard it and it takes off like a jet!  The accelerator is pretty touchy.  The brakes will stop you on a dime, which I didn't expect, it being heavy and all.  The dash panel is like an airplane cockpit.  I'll probably NEVER learn all THAT stuff.

I made it home and backed into the back yard ... how could you miss with a rear view back up camera over a foot wide on the dash!  Sadly, in five minutes it was 107 inside.  Figuring out the AC and the hookups took a considerable time before I had to give up as sweat poured down my face.  Did I mention it was 103 today?

There's a nice swinging table (two pictures up) that I finally figured out how to install.  Is it small inside?  Yes.  Is there lots of storage overhead?  Yes .. probably more than I would need.  Is there storage in the back for things like a tool box and leveling blocks?  That would be a no.  Apparently they changed the model this year, taking up the two feet of storage space with bigger seats in the back.  

The entire space under the couch is filled up with lithium batteries and solar stuff ... so I'm going to have to get creative in the "where the heck can I put this" department.


Everything ... and I mean absolutely EVERYTHING is controlled by the black screen above the TV.  There are two of them.  I'm going to need a solar expert to explain all the info it shows, but at least I figured out the AC and the fan.  

The TV?  That would be a NO.  I got the guide (I don't know how) with the TV shows, but these are from their demonstration and are too far North for reception.  This is a smart TV that is MUCH smarter then me.  I finally got it to locate a couple local channels, but I couldn't get the TV to SEE them.  This might take a college degree!


SO ... I will be spending the next week teaching this old dog a LOT of new tricks.  I'll let you know how it goes because in three short weeks, I'll be heading off over the Sierra Nevada Mountains!!!  I better be a quick learner.






34 comments:

  1. Look at you with a NEW RIDE!!! :):) Easier to park also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Mercedes...you are going to love it! Congratulations on your new ride. You go girl!!!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good! Though I found Mercedes does things a little differently than most.

      Delete
  3. A nice motor home....very happy for you. So much easier to handle not pulling something. Congrats
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely ... and easier to fuel up for sure!

      Delete
  4. You never did say what the brand is...we looked at the larger fridge, but liked the larger bathroom in the back (with a bit or storage) which makes having a large fridge not possible. Good thing, once you learn how, that "black screen" will allow you to control, through your phone, items such as the A/C, Generator (which you probably have the double alternator instead), all the lights, the water pump, monitor your solar and batteries, etc. etc. I have been going next door to the storage area and trying to learn/master one or two things a day. We don't have lithium, but the 190W solar allows me to keep the fridge on all the time and I have the aircard hooked up and some outdoor blink cameras and a controller powered up too and no worries about the batteries. Also, we decided on gas, you have the diesel...both are good choices but my Auto Guy won't work on diesels, so that was a big factor. Oh ya, once you get your phone or 'pad' connected (you can connect both I think) you can then join the cloud which should allow you to monitor things remotely...such as you are at a restaurant and you are wondering how Jonathan and Cooper are doing, you can see what the inside temp is, you can turn on the A/C if you need or just open ceiling vent and turn on fan. Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, OUCH on the pocket book...and did you trade in your 5th wheel???

      Delete
    2. The learning curve is LARGE ... but I know the Librarian will catch on in a flash. Haven't hooked up to my phone yet ... they forgot to tell me how. The other choice was a Ford chassis, but the fridge was very small. Gas is MUCH cheaper around here, so your wallet won't take a hit. Hey .... I financed the thing. Probably won't EVER get it paid off.

      Delete
  5. Let Mr. Ed say congratulations…. 🤫funny feeling said you were going to get one, and as I said, once you buy one, 👍
    Hint switch it over to solar the lithium batteries will charge your coach. Don’t need an rv cord except in a campground
    I believe.? Pleasure way ..the way they’re set up. Your EMS You could also transfer that over to your phone
    Now you can go have a scavenger hunt. Go find the Mercedes dipstick👎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps one of the good things about having the set up that you do. you can go anywhere and you still have your house with you… living room, kitchen bed bathroom
      No more depending on public facilities
      I’m going to guess you’ll probably use that a lot more than you use you 5er
      Here’s a very good suggestion for you now that you’re a van lifer it’s meet ups and https://sandyvans.com/blogs/news/the-ultimate-list-of-2024-van-life-events just when you think you are comfortable RVing you’re in a different B world.
      Don’t forget pleasure Way forums if you haven’t joined already

      Delete
    2. I knew you would figure it out!! I have to work on tapping in with my phone. Don't know how to do that yet.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a practical sized rig for you as long as you are planning on entertaining.
    Just be certain to use Diesel for the fuel. Ask Bill how costly that mistake can be.
    Being that it has Dual rear wheels, will make it more stable and with larger brake pads, will stop it on a Dime.
    Be Safe and Enjoy reading the Owner's Manuals.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I don't know how two folks with two kids could stay in one ... it's small ... but with just me, it's pretty cozy. So far I love it!!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elva ... it will take a little getting used to, but so far I love it.

      Delete
  8. No surprises here. Felt that you were not happy with the 5th wheel for quite some time. Nice looking rig. Looking forward to a report on the shakedown cruise. (like to an overnight at the local walmart) If there are a lot of problems, you can Uber it home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Kenny ... Uber ... you are right. That would be two miles away!!

      Delete
  9. You're gonna love the freedom of this rig! The only thing I don't like about it is the microwave is set too high for me to use safely. For the bed: we bought a twin sheet set. With the sofa still upright we placed the side of the sheet over the back of the sofa. When the sofa is then lowered it's easy to stretch the font of the sheet in place. We took the flat sheet and made pillow case type coverings for the side benches. We never filled in the middle of the bed since we each slept on one side or the other so it was easier to get in and out of bed with the center open. With it being just you, you might find the sofa alone to be enough sleeping space. Unless Cooper needs some of it. :)
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great info Linda ... thank you!! Yes, Cooper will use up a good portion I'm sure. Never thought about using it as two twins ... I'm going to try it out.

      Delete




  10. A little tidbit information somewhere in your neighborhood is an automotive tint audio/alarm /GPS/installer
    I would take it over to them and have them scan it and see if they can find a GPS tracker on your Mercedes some / a lot companies install them without the consumers consent or knowledge . if they find one uninstall it . you derive no benefit from it. it’s strictly about information gathered from that vehicle and your habit.
    If they don’t find one put one in .. only you control it … seeing you have an Apple iPhone and somewhere in that vehicle put an apple air tag $20 $25 each . (they last for a year and a batteries, five bucks) with double-sided tape they hide virtually anywhere inside a vehicle actually put one in the other vehicles
    Inform your insurance company, you may get a discount because you have installed a GPS tracker they’re not expensive. You can buy them online (just make sure it’s 12v hardwired) (under $50 )with an app to your phone. No monthly fee needed.
    The reason why I said if you put a GPS tracker and a thief has a GPS blocker, or a GPS detector .. it doesn’t block the air tag
    Look and see if you’re tires have lug nut locks on each tire if they do get rid of them
    It’ll take about 2 minutes or less to remove them .
    They sell a Kit that fits all standard brand locks for $18 and up
    If you were going to tow the jeep highly recommend you look in to an air force one brake controller. They’re expensive but come highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that never entered my mind ... a GPS tracker. If I do tow my Jeep (which at this point I don't think I will), I already have an Air Force One system on it.

      Delete
  11. Looks like something my husband would like to own maybe one day but not right now is my answer as to when we will get a camper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a traveler all my life Joanne. This is an easy way for me to hit the road once again.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the new RV. It will be interesting to see how it works out for you and your tribe. Looking forward to following along. Vern in Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you'll hear about it all right!! The good and the bad (if there is any)!!!!

      Delete
  13. Congratulations Nancy, can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill ... as usual, we need to talk!! LOL. All that solar stuff has me scratching my head.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations, Nancy! We are very excited for you. How much easier it will be, I know the 5th wheel just wasnt checking all the boxes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the 5th wheel ... so much storage space, but so much more difficult with Cooper. Though small, this one should be a piece of cake.

      Delete
  15. Thrilled for you, much easier all round-as for the systems, they are intuitive & you will enjoy working through them: just not all in one day.Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is I already know the basics ... it's just getting used to a whole new system of electronics!

      Delete