Sunday, June 9, 2024

Checking Out The Crew

It is once again a LOVELY 61 degrees outside this morning.  What a blessing!!  It quickly makes up for the 90 degree day which chases me inside as my skin curls from the burning rays.  Yeah, pretty dramatic!  It's not THAT hot, but once the humidity arrives with the slightly overcast skies, I run and hide.

Thankfully, I got back some of that energy that was stolen from me the day before.  Not only did I feel human again but I felt like I might make a trip down the highway to look at a few more camper vans.  It's better reading about that than "I watched TV all day"!

It gives me the opportunity to shake my head and my finger at guys like this.  I know the towing speed limit of 55 in California sucks, but it is what it is.  Guys like this on the other hand think they can go 75 mph with their trailer swaying in the wind behind them.  They hit pothole after pothole and wonder why they have frame cracks and broken bolts.   


I turned off to get fuel.  I have mentioned before, this is the cheapest diesel around, sold by the nicest folks.  I was pretty surprised to find it at $4.49 a gallon since everywhere else it's $5.50.  I was also surprised that my credit card allowed it to fill up completely.  At every other station, I get cut off at $100.00, which of course will NEVER fill my truck.


I finally arrived at my destination.  Happy Daze ... no relation to Lazy Days.  This place is only about a year old and sells mostly Grand Design rigs.  It also sells the Pleasureway Camper Vans.  I drove into the completely empty parking lot wondering if they were even open.  

Boy was I surprised!  I was met by SIX young men just standing there waiting for me!!  WOW I said ... I get my PICK??  They laughed ... and in fact, we carried on for quite awhile.  What a bunch of fun guys!  I finally asked who was UP ... the next in line to take the next customer ... and walked off with Jason, though I had my eye on Jim.

I stated in no uncertain terms I was NOT there to buy ... but to look and compare.  We went through the Plateau first.  Yup, exactly like the one my friend bought.  The kid was pretty knowledgable and said he had three small puppies, so we got along just fine.
Then we looked at an all wheel drive model on a Ford chassis.  That was a no-go since it's almost 2 feet shorter with a fridge the size of my computer, so I guess there will be no off-roading in my future.


Let's look at a BIGGER model.  The next size up is bigger, but with a freezer the size of my purse.  That's not going to work for someone who has a persnickety dog that requires a stack of frozen food in the freezer.  The bathroom was a REAL one, with a separate shower, but that made every other space smaller. In fact, you had to sit in the drivers seat (turned around) to watch the TV screen that was two feet away.   That would be a no.

And so I spent half the day teasing a room full of guys and laughing like crazy.  What could be more fun?  When I left I thanked all of them, told the tallest one I'd talk to him AGAIN, which got a big laugh from everyone, before exiting the building.  Us old ladies can get away with that!!

Back home, I set the Butler James to work on the floor.  James needs a seeing eye cane.  He got completely lost, had to remap everything and kept yelling for help.  He got stuck under the hutch, wrapped up the corner of a rug which brought him to a screeching halt and couldn't find his out out from under the couch. Three hours later and after two attempts, he finally finished the job ... but forgot to dump the bin.  I'm pretty sure he's my age and he definitely needs glasses!

As for the sprinkler saga ... it continues on today ... and probably tomorrow, and most likely next week.


15 comments:

  1. Nancy those rigs are pretty nice!
    Enjoy your Sunday!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful ... but a little small and a little pricey.

      Delete
  2. I'll be interested to see how your search goes. And if given an option, always go with Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiction author, Sue Ann Jaffarian, has been living in such a van for over 6 years and has just published her non-fiction memoir "I Sleep Around". Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just heard about that. Sounds like a good read to me and will probably have lots of tips and tricks.

      Delete
  4. In 2018, we bought our Tiffin Open Road from the Sacramento Happy Daze . We were "happy" with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of them previously, but they seem to have a good rep. Thank you Carol!

      Delete
  5. We are getting ready to get out of hot AZ and head to the Oregon coast in our Winnebago Navion . There are a number of single ladies who drive them. I think the J floor plan might be good for you, Cooper and Jonathan. Will be fun to hear about your searvh (and everything else, of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for the Oregon Coast! Where do you stay when there? It's so beautiful and COOL!!

      Delete
  6. Pleased to read you have your energy back, there are idiot drivers in every country. The cost of petrol is high here around $2.25 per litre there is about 3.75 litres to a gallon so that would be about $8 a gallon does that make you feel better about the price you are paying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Joanne ... that's PRICEY! I would have to be walking to the store! We never know how good we have it until we talk to folks in other countries.

      Delete
  7. Smaller fridge/freezer is definitely a problem with these vans, although there are some which do have what looks like full fridge with freezer. We figured if we can't handle the small one, then we would buy a 12v portable one to complement the small one that comes with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ... that's a good idea Dave. Having had a full size fridge in my big rig, it's hard to downsize, but I'm learning!

      Delete
    2. Besides ... maybe we should just eat OUT!! So much less trouble!

      Delete