Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Storage ... Smaller Is Better

 Okay Mother Nature ... I know hot flashes are inevitable, but it's time to turn them off.  It's 79 degrees this morning at 5:00 ... WAY TOO HOT to do anything but sit inside in front of a fan.  The cloudy overcast all day didn't help ... the humidity was rising faster than the smoke from my kitchen.


Even Mr. Cooper was uncomfortable in spite of one ceiling fan and two floor fans.  It was a two shower kind of day.


In spite of that, I was out early organizing and purging.  My problem is that I think it's ALL good stuff, so most of it went in the garage.  Maybe I'll purge THAT in a year or two.  I know, yard sale ... but I just can't get up the gumption since that is SO much work.  Oh yes, I've become lazy in my old age.


I did however find enough energy to turn this ...........


into THIS.  Some went in the rig, some in the garage and a LOT in the trash.  My trash can runneth over.


Next I made a trip to Marshalls with my trusty tiny little magnet to check out their cookware.  It's good stuff and super cheap.  In spite of the picture, these are both the same 8" fry pans.  Not that I will need TWO, but you never know when I'll need to make a five course meal for Cooper.  

After going through all MY cookware, I found one perfect sized pot for something like boiled eggs.  We will see how that goes.   I really plan on eating a LOT of pizza ... the kind I can freeze and heat up in this new pan.


Then it was off to Target for plasticware.  This is my clothes closet with a rod across the top.  Perfect for hanging things, but you really need drawers.  These plastic bins are lightweight and really BIG.  It's like packing only a carryon for a trip to Hawaii for a month, which I did several times.  

This will be a piece of cake with more than enough room on the side for boots.  Those two things on the wall hold the pieces to make the queen bed, but they won't be needed, so OUT they went.


My bathroom secret is QuakeHold.  It's a museum putty that will hold everything to the counter like glue, yet comes off leaving no marks whatsoever.  Adjustable curtain rods make extra hanging space when the medicine cabinet is full to the brim.  Underneath the cabinet is the same amount of space that my other rig had, so no downsizing required there.


I did pick up a chair at Wally World that squeezes up into a 6" x 3' package (it fits in the back closet), and I'm NOT messing with sheets and blankets.  I have a great sleeping bag that will work just fine and rolls up into a nice compact bundle.  No struggling to get the sheets over the couch!!!

I didn't get far before the heat drove me back in the house, which is where I will probably spend most of today.  BECAUSE it's time for that age old FUN game of BINGO!  WOOHOO!!





19 comments:

  1. That new camper is going to be just perfect!
    Love it!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I see what you have (librarian in me you know...). Your fridge is a 8.2 Cu. Ft. 12V Refrigerator, so leaving it on all the time will not require inverter. However, with the 300 W solar that I "think" you have, as long as it is in the sun and not under a tree or a RV Carport Type Storage, then the solar should recharge your batteries without a problem every morning and keep you charged all day...you can even turn the vent(s) on for circulation. However, while you are not using it, I still see no need for the inverter to be on, but it is your choice. While camping, you should be able to turn on the inverter, and then use the induction stove. Not sure how much you can have the AC going without having power (but when you are in Q boondocking how often do you need AC?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm I think you are right as far as I can tell. First one I've seen that has an all electric fridge. Says I can use the microwave and stove with batteries only, but I'm not sure about that. I'm thinking no on the microwave. Using it will tell the tale.

      Delete
  3. I moved into my rig in July of 2005 with147 square feet of living area. The cabinets never got filled up and the outside stuff bins got about 2/3 full until three years ago I got serious about lightening the load. All my appliances are old technology and I boondock very comfortably in cooler, under 85f weather with 350 watts of solar panels on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprising how little space we really need!! I'm going to be a cool weather boondocker I think!

      Delete
  4. Mr. Ed said it’s very frustrating that you spend that kind of money and you drive away not comfortable or not understanding all the systems exclusively the electrical on the RV EMC and the engine management system
    you should have ask for a more knowledgeable sales rep, He … they … basically should’ve walked you through ALL the electrics of the unit as well as pair all the program to your phone and radio
    Now on a brighter note, don’t go buy a lot of stuff for your RV as I said before find out where they’re having a van rally or get together or a meet up even if it’s 2. 3 5 or 50 from there you get a world and wealth of information on how to do things small you just have to remember that in there and done that. and when you see how they do it, you’ll have a good laugh. 👉Why didn’t I think of that👍. Most of them are glad to show you the tricks that they’ve learned over time
    The other thing is take your induction cooktop bring it in the house practice always makes perfect. Here’s my cooking trick do not cook steak on an induction cooktop. It doesn’t come out tender use a gas or charcoal grill for that . also small and expensive cooktops only cook in a 4 inch diameter center of the pan test that theory by putting on a skillet of water, you’ll see how the water pattern works someone mentioned putting a metal plate so that you can cook with nonmetallic cookware DO NOT DO THIS DANGER DANGER. WILL ROBINSON
    an induction cooktop. When you take the skillet off the cooktop it stops working that plate will keep the induction cooktop working even after you take your non-metallic skillet off and you also cannot control the temperature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably could have gotten more instruction on the electrical portion, but I had company heading back to my house. I didn't want to stay three hours. Besides, for me, the only way to really figure it out is to use it.

      Delete
    2. Oh ... and the induction cooktop is built in, so there's no taking it out.

      Delete
  5. It will take a little time for all the storage issues to be worked out and for you to get use to driving the new camper but it will happen. Did your induction cooker come with an instruction booklet, the one mum has did and my brother read it a couple of times and sat down with mum to explain it to her before he would let her use it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cooktop has an instruction book. I'll get it out and do some reading.

      Delete
  6. Hope you post specks on the RV, such as grey tank size, black tank size and fuel tank size. Also DEF. Will be very interested in fuel mileage also. Thanks Vern

    ReplyDelete
  7. YouTube has lots of videos......van life. Might give you ideas for storage - gadgets - misc. info. Like the boot puller!! I have one too ~ back when I wore boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta have a bootjack with the way they make them nowadays!! LOL

      Delete
  8. I think this cute little rig will work out great for you. It will fit you and your family's needs. Cooper will be happy wherever you are too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will work perfectly Patsy ... even Jonathan will like the smooth ride!

      Delete
  9. A lot of years in boats & RVs convinced us that an air fryer + induction top were an ideal answer to the indoor cooking plus a small BBQ for outdoors.Frozen vegetables & entrees also made certain we had quick & easy meals-anything else were picked up along. the way(pizza).All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have a small air fryer that will work perfectly! Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely plan on easy meals ... after all, I'm only feeding one!

      Delete