Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Unmentionables

Due to a very early appointment this morning, I typed this blog last night.  I will relate the next Bingo stories tomorrow morning. 

As for the unmentionables, come on guys, you know you always wanted to look under that skirt.  Seriously, the late 1890's early 1900's, you wouldn't have seen a thing.  The amount of clothing people wore was just incredible.  Especially the ladies.  The "ladies" of the red light district wore quite a bit less.  Here's a good example of the wardrobes of the time.  

These are known as drawers.  A short loose cotton garment with straps over the shoulders.  Ever seen those pictures of the gals hanging over the upstairs balcony with their lace stockings on?  Yes, of COURSE I also have stockings.  Two pair made of wool that are the worst things on the planet to wear.  Talk about ITCHY.  


In Europe, they were known as French drawers.  I have two pair of these my grandmother wore.  Pretty racey that lady.  


Over the top of the drawers came the pain inducing corset.  While getting dressed up for a stroll down the streets of the gold town of Columbia, I tried this one on.  Never EVER do this when you are alone.  I got stuck and couldn't reach the hooks.  Panic set in faster than you can imagine because I literally could not breathe.  Luckily I got it off and never wore it again ... EVER!  I've no idea how my grandmother survived this torturous device. 


Next came the little chemise type top to cover up the corset.  This one has no hooks or buttons, it just ties in the front with the pretty pink ribbon.


This one is a little heavier for winter wear.  


Follow that up with the prettier, nicer one, which would show through the final garment.


Slips came next.  At least two like these.  Waist to floor, tied on with cords.




The blouse ... not quite the final, because there was usually a coat or jacket that was worn over the top.  Can you just imagine wearing all of this when it was 115 degrees out in Tombstone?  The good news is that's one reason they wore so many layers.  Only the bottom layer or two had to be washed and hung to dry.  Everything else was worn again and again.  Maybe that's when perfume was invented.


Lastly, the heavyweight floor length skirt.  This one has thick metal weights sewn into the hem all around, to keep it from blowing up if it was windy.  This skirt weighs in at 16 pounds.  Most of these were not go-to-town wear.  They were things my grandmother wore every day.  I just cannot imagine ... though I did get a little sample here and there when I gussied up to go to town and pose for pictures with the tourists.  It was SO HOT!!


This was probably a Tombstone summer skirt.  It is very thin material, which I might think is silk.  You can never wash anything like this because silk in the old days was acid washed.  Add water and it will instantly dissolve into a big glob of glue.  


I will try to clean the rest of the garments as best I can.  They can only take a dip in the bathtub to be swished around a bit and dried on towels ... hopefully in the sun.  Won't that be fun ... pretending I don't have a washing machine!!  

And here's a little update for those that read Bobseyes.net blog.  His network crashed, but he says it didn't hurt and he's just fine.  Bob is working on getting it restored, but you know how those internet repair guys are ... it's on their schedule, not Bobs.  Hopefully he'll be back at it soon!




27 comments:

  1. Remember Petit Pants?! Not really sure of the purpose, but they were cute LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unmentionables and you are posting all about them on the internet! Your old lady relatives are aghast, can’t you hear them? Lol

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my grandmother is probably turning over in her grave.

      Delete
  3. Totally bizarre, aren't you glad that times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine wearing all that heavy clothing, then trying to clean up the cabin! LOL

      Delete
  4. Are they all hand down? Hand made lace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the lace was sewn on by hand, but the rest was made with sewing machines since they were invented early on in the 1800's. The heavy skirts I have were mostly made by hand.

      Delete
  5. Believe it or not, my mother still wore a corset like that in the 1950s! She hooked it in the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother was a smart woman!! Every girl I knew in high school wore girdles until about 1965!!! It took a long time for these to go away.

      Delete
  6. My grandmother milked cows wearing a corset.
    Unbelievable!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH GOSH ~ I wore petit pants under culottes to school.
    Retired now so it's jeans and t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember wearing them WAY back in grammar school. I'm with you now ... Levis and t-shirts!!

      Delete
  8. I love these but glad i don't have to wear them. It's the beautiful dresses that I'd love to own, just because.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Patsy ... the dresses are amazing, but mostly only worn by the rich and famous!!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the info about Bob. Wondered what happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His place is in an area of little internet, so it's going to take some time to get it fixed. I hope he'll be back online soon!!

      Delete
  10. Ok, I'll say it... If the young women of today dressed up like that, it would cut down on teenage pregnancies, that's for sure! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right Dave ... but can you imagine going to the outhouse in all that getup??

      Delete
  11. Beautiful but I don't know how the women survived in the summer. My paternal grandmother was a little chunky but she had a nice waistline with a lot of help from a corset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was definitely the idea! Seems to me they would be wearing it just for "catching" that MAN!

      Delete
  12. Just beautiful handwork (I assume) on these. Stunning.
    (Thansk to Bob and you for the update.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some hand work, but mostly machine. I do have other dresses for my German doll that were made by French seamstresses ... all done by hand. They were a very rich family.

      Delete
    2. Machines? Really? Why don't machines do that any more? Well, maybe they do but I don't know because the product is out of my price range. Anyway, really nice stuff you've got there.

      Delete
    3. The lace was sewn on by hand, but the basic piece is machine sewn together. The hems were also done by hand.

      Delete