Monday, November 27, 2023

Tap Tap Hooooo Hooooo

What a fun night!!!  I spent most of it flat on my back staring at the ceiling.  You know those nights ... everyone has them.  Lucky for me, I was serenaded most all night long.  Come to think of it, that's probably why I was staring at the ceiling.  

The tap tap tap ...  tap tap tap on the window was like a woodpecker on a tree.  I thought I might sneak out with my camera, but it was 36 degrees outside ... in the dark.  And then the hoo-hoo's started.  That wasn't enough to get me up, but the hiccups that followed was.  There's nothing like chugging half a bottle of water at 2 am.

I wandered around the back yard in the freezing cold, but not for long.  I counted not one, but FIVE different Hoo's, hooting for all they were worth.  I tried to record them for you, but I was too far away.  That was fun ... no use going back to bed now!

For those that have been seeing the weirdness in the sky lately, this is a Sun Dog.  It's an atmospheric phenomenon that you don't see very often.  This image was taken by a resident at the Salton Sea.  Pretty cool.  This has absolutely nothing to do with me wandering around in the middle of the night.


Might as well have breakfast.  Yes, there was a big piece of pumpkin pie sitting on this paper plate, smothered in whipped cream. 


It looked rather like this one from the day before.  My mother made me a rebel.  We were never allowed to have anything other than breakfast food for breakfast.  All these years later, I'm STILL going against the grain.  It was DELICIOUS!!


I had discovered two things the day before.  One, I was out of whipped cream, and two, Jonathan was out of bird biscuits.  Off to the little Chinese store to find some cream.  Wasn't I surprised when I discovered it had been completely remodeled and turned into a Mexican store.  Woohoo!!!  

Sadly, there was not one container of cream, but a can of ReadyWhip would work just fine.  Apparently canned yams aren't on any Mexican menu either, because they didn't even exist.  I went for the raw variety.


I quickly learned my lesson.  They take forever to cook in the microwave, have to be pealed and then smashed.  I hope Jonathan is appreciative of all the work it took to make his favorite food.  Not that he likes sweet potatoes (or yams) ... he likes the cornbread biscuit that disguises the "orange" food vitamins birds need.  Carrots also work.


But WAIT!!  What I did find was this guy outside at a huge barbecue.  What's going on here?  This is one of those Hawaiian Huli Huli barbecues that rotate the half-a-chicken pieces over a very hot fire.  


This is the result.  Of course I couldn't say no to this!!!  You get an entire chicken, 8 perfect corn tortillas and two containers of sauce for $13.00.  They make it every Saturday and Sunday, meaning I don't have to cook on the weekends.  The nice gentleman said if I didn't like it he would give me my money back.  What a nice guarantee.


No worries about that though ... one taste and I was hooked.  Oh my great aunt Sara!!  (I don't have a great aunt Sara!). But this chicken taco was amazing.  It has a different taste that I can't explain.  No I didn't smother it in hot sauce.  Ooooooeeeee that stuff could burn a hole through a piece of steel.  I barely touched the sauce spoon to the chicken and took a bite.  

OH YEAH ... it's delicious!!  I even added a little more hot sauce and stole some of Jonathan's Cole slaw.  I would say that this is going to last me for several days, but alas, Cooper loved it just as much as I did.  Guess I'll be sharing.


The rest of the day was spent watching football.  You just never know how it's going to turn out.  The Las Vegas Raiders who luckily escaped Oakland California without too many bullet holes, lost to the Kansas City Chiefs and Mr. Mahomes, who had an excellent game (having lost a few lately).

It's hard for me to sit still on the couch for more than ten minutes at a time, so I threw in a little sewing here and there, to Cooper's protestations because I disturbed his sleep.  I can't believe I had five days of doing nothing ... and magically, over night, they all disappeared.  

Today I'm off to Home Depot for another project.  At least that's the plan, which may get waylaid for a nap.  Yawn .............




14 comments:

  1. Nancy that chicken looks delicious.
    I'm headed to Home Depot this morning too.
    Home projects never end.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? I guess it keeps us moving.

      Delete
  2. We call them Hooty hoo's in these parts. Five of them calling would be very cool! That chicken looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just fun to listen to them. They all have a different HOO and a different pitch.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't know what they marinated it in, but it was very tasty!!

      Delete
  4. Mr. Ed said Next time you go back, to the guy doing the barbecue ask him if he knows any Mexican market /Restaurant most of the time you’ll never know there’s a restaurant in the market if you find one, don’t go there at 12 o’clock 11 to 12 or 1 to 2 You’ll definitely get your Mexican fix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the Mexican markets here sell burritos, tamales, that sort of thing. But this chicken ... it was the best!

      Delete
  5. That chicken looks wonderful! Who gives guarantees like that? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm going to go back and tell him how much I loved it!!!

      Delete
  6. That is a big yam. Today, because I ordered curbside pickup for groceries, I got a huge sweet potato (I still don't know the difference between them and yams. I know, I've read, but can't remember.) Did you do that big baby in the microwave? I really hate to peel and steam or roast it. Sweet potatoes used to be little, bakeable. And onions used to be little. Now they're three times the size of my fist. Ah well, maybe it's more efficient for the farmers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably easier to harvest, and more weight means more money for them. I agree about the onions, I'm always throwing some away because they are huge!! Yes I baked it in the microwave (on paper towels), like I would a baked potato. Just added another minute or two. Let them cool a bit, then peel.

      Delete
  7. That chicken looked delicious and what a guarantee on top of what I would say was a great price.
    Deb (Celebrating the Dance)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad at all for a family of four meal. I'm definitely going back.

      Delete