Thursday, November 23, 2023

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Today is the day!!  Let's stuff ourselves with good food and watch a little football.  It looks like there are games to keep you out of the cook's hair all day long!!   


It's early here as I sit and play games on my phone to the light of the Christmas tree.  It's a no-no I know.  NO Christmas trees until AFTER Thanksgiving.  Here's the thing though ... it reminds me to be thankful for every day and for good friends I've met through all the blogs I read.  You have become my family and I am ever thankful for that.


And so it's time!  Time to dig that turkey out of the fridge and pray that it has defrosted.  I'm surprised to hear so many people are roasting pork this year.  I'm too traditional for that I guess.  I'm all about the turkey leftovers being made into sandwiches, casseroles and other things that completely disguise the taste of turkey.


The first order of the day was to make the stuffing.  I love it, but it doesn't love me.  This year, for the very first time, I'm making my own.  I cut up some of the homemade bread I had left over in the freezer (which doesn't bother me for some weird reason) and baked up a batch of cornbread.  

Once done, I chopped that up and stuck it all in the oven to dry.  No fire alarms were heard, but it's early.  Of course who can make cornbread without having a chunk.  That's weird .. it needs salt.  I guess it will be fine after swimming in that pound of butter and onions.  



Next up ..... bacon.  Who doesn't love THIS!!  The plan was to smother the green beans with this beautiful piggy delicious creation, but alas, I forgot to buy them.  No worries, this will be great in the stuffing.


I did have a burst of energy about 10:00, which led to the hanging of the second drapery rod.  Sadly, I can't find the quilt I wanted to hang.  I know it's somewhere, I just don't know where.  

I talked to St Anthony a lot in this endeavor.  For the life of me I could not find the brackets.  Then the screwdriver disappeared.  It was a sign.  When I finally remembered where to look, and got the rod hung up, it was 1-1/2 inches too high.  Big sigh!!!  Yessirree ... that's my luck.  There was another tiny spot on the wall next to the REAL spot.  I took it all down, made a new hole and hung it back up.  You KNOW that little plastic gizzy is never coming out without making a BIG hole.  No one will notice, right?


I hope that's not an omen of my turkey cooking for today.  Just in case, I took all the batteries out of the smoke detectors.  Maybe eating tacos for Thanksgiving is not such a bad idea after all.


Here's breakfast and lunch.  There's a very nice couple from Bingo who make tamales every year.  NOT the one who made me sick.  These are made in a nice clean kitchen.  They are delicious with a capital D.  They would be better if I had some decent salsa, but just tomatoes will have to do until I get back to the store.  


Where's the pie you ask?  Well .... I bought the wrong size can of pumpkin.  There's enough there to make six pies.  So here's my question of you good cooks out there ... can I freeze pumpkin pie?  

And one question for the men.  My 2005 Chevy Silverado with 130,000 miles on it needs shocks I'm being told.  I guess I should have gotten them at around 80,000 miles.  Any suggestions on what kind?

Lastly, I hope everyone has a fabulous Thanksgiving with their families and friends.  I'm really very thankful for all of you!!!

LET THE FOOTBALL BEGIN!!


22 comments:

  1. According to Barb and Google, yes, you can freeze pumpkin pie. I have no suggestions on the shocks, however. Love the other quilt that you hung; you have great taste in quilts.
    Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah ... I'll be having pumpkin pie for the next 3 months!! Happy Thanksgiving to you both!! And your fur kids!

      Delete
  2. Love your blog. yes you can freeze pumpkin. Love your quilts, I do a we bit of quilting myself. Have a great Thanksgiving. I am from Brandon, Manitoba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise!! Nice to meet you. You are from a long ways away! I love that I get to meet so many new people and a quilter too!!! Thank you ... I will be making pie today!!

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! I have no answers to any of your questions...lol Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Deb you are not alone!!! I don't either!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! No answers from me either. I bought a 1/2 Pumpkin pie - just enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half? Where do they sell half a pie?? That would work perfect for me!

      Delete
  5. If the stuffing causes gas issues add a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup.
    The hole in the wall, hang a bigger quilt. Lol
    No idea about the shocks either.
    Happy Thanksgiving Nancy!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the quilt is covering up two holes from the former owner!

      Delete
  6. Happy holidays from Mr.Ed
    You’re only hauling a trailer (occasionally )~you’re not going off road you don’t need to spend the big bucks. Average shocks on a pick up truck is 100,000 miles that figure is based on heavier than average use. Prices are close ballpark. A does not include installation Bilstein 375$ are higher in price or Rancho 275$ Lower in price for the same quality. Monroe ? 275$?
    The only true way to tell is to remove each one and test it. If you don’t carry any weight in your (rear) truck, the front ones would be the ones that I would test. Or replace first or you could do a speed bump test
    The airbags in the back are taking up 70% of the Shocks duty
    If the mechanic saw, weeping from the shock replace it in pairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed ... now that I know more, I'll talk to the mechanic.

      Delete
  7. I certainly hope you can freeze pumpkin pie since we bought a frozen one to cook today.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's good news! I'm going to bake and freeze today. Sounded like a good idea to cut them in half too. Then I don't have to eat an entire pie in one sitting.

      Delete
  8. Ditto Tom and Deb. Add a can of cream of mushroom soup? That sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never hear of it either Elva, but it's worth a try. I think it's the preservatives in the bread that bother me.

      Delete
  9. You going to eat all that food alone? It’s all sounding
    delicious to me! I love most all stuffing except the
    ones that are sweet. We do like you, cornbread and good
    dry bread cubes.
    Of course it’s your call but my husband has had several
    Chevy Silverado’s, diesels....he said go back with
    the original. Probably many good choices.
    Hope you had a great day🧡🍁🧡



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is I won't have to cook for the next three weeks!! I like your husband's advice. This truck has been so good it's lasted 18 years so far. I've never had a truck more than 10 years, so I figure they made this one right.

      Delete
  10. Forgot; above I hop, Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving. On the shock issue, use original equipment or Monroe shocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out this shop uses Bilsteins. Good or bad?

      Delete