Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Still Kicking!!!

 Happy Halloween yet again!!  Surprisingly, it's still alive and kicking around here, but just barely.  It's holding its broken arm and dragging one foot, but at least SOME parents have remembered how fun it was for them.


But first .... let's go to Walmart where all the Christmas decorations are already up.  Might as well get an early start on THAT project!  It might even motivate me enough to put up my 30 year old tree that all the fruh-fruh is falling off of.  And yes, never end a sentence with OF.

So it was a weird morning ... pinkish outside, just like Arizona mornings.  I ran out to find this crazy looking sky.  Cooper and I sat there for all of three minutes because it was downright cold.


After a second cup of coffee, I was finally off to the land of jammies and slippers with matching two inch long fingernails.  I'm lucky that the store with the cheapest groceries also has a great manager who makes sure the place is spotless and the shelves stocked.

I picked up some bird food, though tweet tweet ... those rice crisps (better known as Rice Krispies) are pretty darn tasty.  I think they would make great breading for a nice pork chop.  Of course you still have to check yourself out, as I did not see ONE SINGLE CASHIER in the entire place.  For one who advertises they care so much about their employees, it seems now they don't have any to care about!

Did I stop and show my receipt to the guy at the door?  Heck NO!  If they wanted to be sure I paid for everything, they should have hired someone who needs a job.  Hopefully for them, they lose less from stealing than it cost them for employees.


Lunch was yet again a Costco Foster Farms chicken corndog.  This is what we serve at Bingo.  By the way, it was really weird not to be going to said Bingo last night, so in reverence to the gamblers, I celebrated with their favorite food.  I admit however, I didn't realize that box had something like 48 dogs in it.  FORTY EIGHT!!  Do you know how many that is for a SINGLE person with no grandkids???


With no Bingo and not much sewing (though I still think my back gets kind of better every week) I couldn't stand it.  Maybe some brown butter cookies would fit the bill.  It's all the fault of Patty Chance because she said she was making cookies.


And so the nighttime darkness fell and it was time to begin the watch.  I bought one small box of candy at Costco, mostly for myself.  I'd rather have cake, but candy will do in a pinch.  There were 35 bars.  I didn't even decorate this year since last year I bought LOTS of candy, and no one came.  Said candy is STILL in the fridge ... or at least what's left of it.  As you know, I'm addicted to sugar.

This is Mr. Butler that Dave was talking about.  He's still in the box Dave, because after last year, I was sure Halloween had died a horrible death.  And then someone knocked at the door.


That was a surprise.  I grabbed the box of goodies and opened the door.  Awwww ... the Spanish Dancer (in an amazing homemade dress) said trick or treat, along with Mom.  Next thing I know, there's five ATV's with fluorescent lights flashing, along with a huge trailer.  Kids poured out like a dam overflowing.

YAHOO ... HALLOWEEN ISN'T DEAD AFTER ALL!  I was SO surprised. One after another little ghouls and goblins came up to the door.  Okay, next year I'll have to decorate and dress up.  That's me with the green face and prosthetic nose.  That's probably why I've got a screw loose ... it's the green hair spray paint.  I figured if you could spray it on your head, it couldn't be TOO bad for you.  I did have a little trouble getting it all off however.


In no time my meager supply of candy was gone and lucky for me, no one else showed up.  I literally did a happy dance.  Those kids were having a blast ... as it should be!  This morning Henry was still in tact, but did lose his head and one hand.  I guess I'm heading to the Halloween Store to find a replacement for next year.


Cooper got in on the fun too ... he was Dracula, letting all the kids know they better not come too close.  I mean really ... look at those teeth!!!!


So it turned out to be a good Halloween after all, in spite of all the radio and television hype about how everyone was going to die from drug overdoses.  They zoned in on the terrible scary neighborhoods instead of the fun the kids would have at their neighbor's house.  All gloom and doom.  I'm so glad I saw so many happy faces.  Maybe next year will be even better.  I'll buy more candy just in case.

In the meantime, I'm going to try out my phone hotspot for my computer and we'll talk about the World Series.  Then there's that weird music/noise I heard in the living room at 4:00 this morning.  What the heck was THAT???







12 comments:

  1. I know Halloween is alive and well through our grandkids but we have not had anyone knock on our door in....(thinking) over 20 years. I actually would love to have a little kid come trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally surprised anyone showed up here. It was definitely fun to see even the babies dressed up.

      Delete
  2. We have a few truck or treaters. It was a fun evening!
    Your witch costume is cute!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember walking around the playground at McSwain with our costumes on? Mine was a gunny sack! LOL

      Delete
  3. From the picture my daughter sent of the "candy exchange" her kids did pretty good trick or treating...lol No trick or treaters out in the desert...🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky ... you won't have a dozen candy bars in the freezer for a couple of years.

      Delete
  4. My sister had 20+ Trick-or-Treaters last night, about twice as many as the previous year. There is a street light at the end of the cul-de-sac that they live on (right at their house) which finally, after 30 years, got fixed a couple of weeks ago. (YES, 30 years! They would come by and put a new light bulb in it, but never check if it worked...this time they realized a wire needed to be connected...Arny swears it was not him that unhooked the wires 30 years ago!) The extra light 'might' have brought more kids down the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that ... I bet the lights will make a difference. It also helps that most are not afraid of getting the bubonic plague any more.

      Delete
  5. I'm happy to hear that you also got your Halloween fix. I hate to think it is dead for the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have so much fun running around the street. It was really good to see!!

      Delete
  6. How fun, you actually had Trick or Treaters!!
    We don’t get one ...for some years.... so we finally
    closed the gate and ate the treats! Lol
    Got a big laugh at Cooper’s smiley no teeth,
    gosh he is cute🥰
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's my guy that Cooper. I'm sure if I was out any further, I wouldn't have anyone trick or treating. I'm glad at least some showed up. That box of candy would have put 20 pounds on me!!

      Delete