Friday, November 10, 2023

They DO Exist!!!

THANK A VETERAN TODAY!!!

 Who ... Who ... knew?  See what I did there?  Oh yes, the hooty owls were back in full force.  I can't complain though ... I do love hearing them after so many years.  They are really good at hiding during the day, so rarely do you ever see them.  

Same goes for the Highway Patrol.  You rarely EVER see them in California, especially on the freeways where they might help slow traffic down.  However .... THEY DO EXIST!  One knocked on my door at 9:15 yesterday morning.  I think maybe he expected a problem after his missing email, but I was cordial.  After all, I needed his signature, so I wasn't going to rock the boat.

It's complete crazy what he went through.  I mean really, anyone ... and I mean ANY ONE can get a drivers license here without even taking a test or being a legal citizen.  Yet they make ME jump through hoops like I stole this truck, changed the VIN number and was going to sell it for a million dollars because it was full of drugs.

No kidding ... he looked for every original tag glued on the truck, including under the hood and even on the door.  I was pretty shocked when he even opened my glove box and took everything out.  What are you looking for?  Good thing I didn't have something stashed in there OR under the seat.  Had I known, I would have put some unmentionables there just to see his face.  BAD Nancy!


He found one tag missing.  Well no wonder, it's right under the hood of a hot truck pulling a heavy trailer across the 110 degree desert.  Lucky for me, I had every single piece of paper he asked for, and then he was on to the trailer.  He even made me open the trailer door so he could look inside.  I guess I might have had some illegals living there ... you know, the ones who came to get a free drivers license.  

An hour later he was done, took all my paperwork and left.  Wait ..... that's my pink slip!!!  He said he had paperwork to fill out and he would return.  I'm pretty sure I didn't get it all back, but I did get two pieces of paper with a badge stamped on the front, along with my title.  Too bad they don't patrol the highways as diligently as they inspected my truck.  Next stop ... the ever loved DMV!!!  Won't THAT be fun!!

On with my day.  Since I already had the tall ladder in the house, I decided to change out ALL the alarm batteries.  I didn't want to take a chance of having to do this again at midnight when I wasn't completely awake.  


I have seven.  Yessirree SEVEN smoke alarms in this house.  I guess they knew about my cooking skills.  I'm positive one isn't working at all because even though I stuck in a new battery, the little green light did not come on.  I don't care as long as it remains quiet.


That's when I noticed THIS.  Gee whiz ... this is quite the condo, or maybe more like a two story mansion.   I suppose I better get out my broom and do a little house cleaning!


The next doorbell ring brought THIS to the house.  A nice big heavy box of parts and pieces.  I've been looking for a rolling cart to keep in the garage to help me in removing the hitch from my truck.  I tried Harbor Freight's plastic one, but the parts and pieces didn't fit together right.  This one is made for commercial kitchens.  


Pretty cool, yes?  I mean just look ... it has holes so I never have to clean all the dirt out of the top.  It was pretty easy to put together and feels really sturdy.  I laid on the top and rolled down the hallway.  It rolls like a dream and is supposed to hold 500 pounds.  I may even get another one to hold all my quilting supplies right at the longarm, then just roll it away when I'm done.  I might even get one to hold all those pairs of Levis in my bedroom!


Alas, it was time to head on out to the Elks Lodge for the marathon meeting of the month.  I'm not one that enjoys night driving any more.  My bionic eyes don't like the bright lights so much.  Yes, my windshield is filthy, but I can't get it washed until I get well enough to take the hitch out of the truck.  The carwash is as finicky as the CHP office.  They won't let me go through.

Whoa ... there must be a party at the lodge, which is rare on a Thursday night.  I had to park over a block away.  It turned out to be a night of problem solving, but after me yelling at a couple of guys over the LAST meeting, everyone was very civil with no outbursts.  I mean really guys, we ARE all adults, yes?


And so ended another fruitful day.  I am definitely NOT looking forward to going to the DMV office, but when the blonde suddenly appeared, the nice CHP officer told me which one was the easiest and fastest to maneuver through.  I'm not sure who will do that yet ... the old gray haired lady or the blonde.  I DO know that the fiery redhead will NOT make an appearance.  




17 comments:

  1. You are one step closer. Hold on to that thought as you wait PATIENTLY at the DMV. It will soon be over and you will be happy to pay the ridiculous amount just because you will be FREE. Whoooo said life was easy. Maybe the Lodge fellas know you are heading to the DMV and don’t want you to practice your skills on them! Lol Good luck.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I see what you did there!!! Yup we think alike!

      Delete
  2. It's just unbelievable the crap they make one go through at DMV!
    Glad it's almost done.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What really kills me is if you have an actual appointment, you are being prejudice against everyone who does NOT make an appointment, so all it gets you now is in the door. You still have to wait behind everyone else.

      Delete
  3. As I am reading about your visit with the CHP officer it came to mind that the rest of us Ladies, the ones without a southern accent, need an equivalent to the Southern Ladies' "Bless Your Heart"...lol Hope you had a good visit at the DMV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Deb. Let's come up with something!

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness the CHP arrived and did his due diligence. Good grief, do you look like you would be harboring illegals? Haha
    Good luck at the DMV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Patsy ... the paperwork he had to fill out was epic. On TOP of what "I" filled out!

      Delete
  5. Oh Nancy, you missed your chance.... "Umm Officer, (blink your eyes at him a time or two), do you think you and your strong arms and back could do me one big favor? Do you think (blink eyes again) you can pick that hitch up and put it over here...little ole me hurt my back and it is still healing (blink, blink, blink)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Dave ... you are RIGHT! I missed my chance!

      Delete
  6. Inspector coming to you. Sure not that way here. Be careful with your back. You need it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to be you went to their office, but not any more. I'm not sure why the change.

      Delete
  7. What a nosebleed with the CHP. They don't do much on the freeways any more, most of the time they are sitting with their lights flashing at construction projects. They have pretty much given the roads over to the big trucks. When was the last time you say a truck going at the 55 mph limit? I have lost a lot of faith and admiration that I used to have for the CHP. They are just a notch or two above the DMV any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right ... rarely do you EVER see them on the highway. They say it's budget cuts. Makes me crazy to see cars going 90+ swerving in and out of traffic. Not the same in Arizona ... they are every few miles on the highways there. If they stopped all those cars, they would be making plenty of money to hire more guys.

      Delete
  8. Whoop, whoop! I am learning a lot about the bureaucracy of California. I hope I will never experience it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessirree ... I think the plan is to let everyone do whatever they want ... no rules .... that way the politicians get re-elected.

      Delete
  9. It is frustrating. We live close to a very busy insection. For the last few months there are signs and blinking lights that indicate "no right turn on red". And people continue to ignore the signs. If I was in charge there would be a WS police officer hanging around close by and writing tickets. You think the city would want the extra income!

    ReplyDelete