Saturday, November 4, 2023

A Look Into The Future

 Now THIS is a great way to start the morning!!  Yes, that's Cooper's dog bowl, now only half full of those tiny little crunchy bites that crush into dust when you step on them.  Apparently I'm not as good as I once was at juggling too many things.

You can tell Cooper was like WHAT HAPPENED?  I grabbed the broom and swept for 30 minutes over a 200 square foot area to be sure I got it all picked up.  Since then I have stepped on three more pieces ... barefoot of course.  It was okay though .. I had plenty of time to pass while waiting for an appointment.


This is a look into the future.  Actually, the future is here and I think it's crazy.  This is a good example of why I'm grumpy ... having to deal with stuff like this.  My Doc (who is actually a nurse, not a doc) always wants blood drawn.  I think it's totally unnecessary and I rarely have it done.  

There are three places around here, all owned by the same company ... Quest Diagnostics ... a mega company that runs people through like cattle.  I called for an appointment and I had questions.  Sorry, but you can't ASK questions because there's no option to speak to a real human being, or even a fake one.

You either make an appointment or not.  I made an appointment for 11:30.  I walked in 15 minutes early, to find THIS staring at me.  There's 18 people in the room.  The electronic board that tells you who is up next says there are 20 people ahead of me.  WHAT??

There's no receptionist here ... you check in with that green screen machine, placing your drivers license (front and back) in the slot to be scanned (I'm not happy with that at all considering all the information on that black strip), then scan in both sides of your two medical cards.  Nice personal touch, don't you think?  Then you wait.


And wait ... and wait some more while the people in the room tell you horror stories.  Some had been waiting well over an hour.  

Forty five minutes later, I'm called in to one of four tiny cubicles.  The gal was very nice and very young.  I gave her a hard time about the sterile waiting room with STILL no one to answer any questions.  So I'm curious, how much do you get paid to work in this cubicle 9 hours a day?  Not as much as McDonalds pays she says.  

How could that be?  She said the "governor" passed another law increasing their wages from $14 to $25 an hour ... after they have worked there for ten years.  Gosh ... If I were you, I'd go work at McDonalds!!  At least you get free meals.  We laughed a lot!

She instantly sucked four quart jars of blood from my arm.  I told her she was very good at that ... I didn't feel a thing.  It's too bad she has to work in this environment, but I guess that's the look of the future and its here now.  Herded in like cattle and herded right back out the door without even a thank you have a good day.  That's what makes me grumpy.  There's no SERVICE any more and its only going to get worse.  All those same people were still in the waiting room.  


It's now been two weeks since I ate ... or at least 17 hours (fasting was required) and I'm starving.  I headed right on over to Habit Burger.  This is a bbq bacon cheeseburger with sweet potato fries.  It made me completely forget about the sterile machine I just came from.

I ate the whole thing!!  By this time I was so weak from not eating and losing all that blood that I crashed on the couch.  


Thirty minutes later Mr. Cooper's nose was in my ear to be sure I was alive.  Okay, I'm up!!  I cut fabric for four more squares and got two of them stitched up ... the smaller ones towards the bottom.  Time for a little brain power ... why oh why are those SMALLER than the rest?  Panic set in.  I finally figured out they are part of the outside border.  Enough of that .......


Cooper and I enjoyed the big cloud in the sky at sunset before pretending to be statues on the couch.


I contemplated the sterile office vibe and decided that's what the future will look like.  There will be little to no more personal contact.  How sad the world has come to that, even in this tiny little town.  By the way, McDonalds here?  You order from a computer screen.  It's too bad they are doing everything possible to get rid of employees.  How are people supposed to feed their families?

I guess I've always been involved in businesses that require service in order to STAY in business.  It's too bad it is becoming a thing of the past.  Do you think our grandparents had the same thoughts?



18 comments:

  1. Unless it's Amazon I don't do computer ordering. I stand at the cash register and someone will take my order!
    Every Tues. I have blood drawn at QUEST.....no fasting...drink coffee,have cereal or cookie.....then donate the blood & get a shot. No fasting was mentioned. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVERY Tues?? That's amazing. Maybe it's just the office here. I was definitely starving by the time I left.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on the blood drawn stuff. I waited so long without eating that I passed out. It's ridiculous!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Frances ... that's terrible! Next time I'll be sure to get an EARLY morning appointment.

      Delete
  3. There's some things I don't like about Kaiser but I do like the lab. The lab is open Sundays so I go in the morning. Very little traffic, empty parking lot and very little wait. By the evening you have some results and all the results the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good service Elva. Not so much around here.

      Delete
  4. When I go to McDs it is for either a coffee or a Diet Coke. No, I am not using an app, just want a "name drink". "OK" they say. Have not been inside a McDs for who knows how long! We use Baycare for most of our doctors, and the blood sucking place always has someone there to talk to. Who knows how long that will be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you use the drive up? At least they still have to have a human being take your order. Inside is a different story.

      Delete
  5. Our grandparents didn't have to deal with things like this because they were way more self-sufficient than we are: grew their own food, made their own clothes, cooked their own meals, used a lot of home remedies, etc. When did we become a "service" economy?
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Linda ... although at some point someone decided to make a lot of money by providing services. I guess we got spoiled with that, especially when it comes to food.

      Delete
  6. That's certainly a strange set up. How can it even be called service? Wow, never seen anything like that - yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either Patsy. I have a feeling this all came about because of Covid, and yet there were 18 people sitting in a VERY tiny waiting room. And every one of them touched that computer screen I had to use. So what's the point other than they make more money with no employees.

      Delete
  7. I think your grandparents had similar thoughts, but not the same thoughts as they couldn't have known how the world would evolve. Now, the question is,,,,,,,,,,, How will your future evolve? :O)
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to know Bob ... I really don't if it's heading this direction.

      Delete
  8. My first thought was wow you get to make an appointment who would have thought they would have twenty appointments at 11:30...lol No appointments were I go it is first come first serve though at least we have a real person registering us. I used to think earlier the better until I realized that is when all the "old people" go. Now I go later....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm go later ... that's a thought. Maybe it's not as crowded at 3:00 ... yet they close their doors at 3:30.

      Delete
  9. I am surprised a robot didn't take your blood. Or was she a robot?!?
    From what I read, McDonald's simply raised their prices in California passing the increase onto the consumer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah ... she was a real live human! Yup Micky D's raised their prices on everything, as has everyone else, but they also let people go and put in computers to order, meaning they are making even MORE money.

      Delete