Sunday, November 5, 2023

Swimming Up River

 Good morning from cool California.  It's a lovely 52 degrees this morning as Mom Kitty ate herself silly.  I hate to throw away the food Cooper won't eat ... he has such a discerning palate ... so I feed it to the kitties.  There are about three wild ones around here that keep the mice and gophers to a minimum.  Sometimes she leaves some for the fox crew, but not today!!  Although they do get along, she always has her eyes out for the other four legged critters.


Sometimes I feel like I'm swimming up river with the furniture still stashed in every corner of the house.  I finally made a walkway from the living room to the sewing room.  I ran into that table so many times my hip is black and blue.  

Look what I found!!!  There were two big frames wrapped together, part of the whorehouse furniture I was so amazing lucky to get from Jan and Bill Mains.  I had no idea these were there.  It's two portraits from the Civil War.  I always get mixed up on this stuff, but I think the South was the Confederacy led by Robert E Lee (the grey uniforms), and the North was the Union with General Grant (the dark blue uniforms).  If I'm wrong, please correct me because I really paid no attention whatsoever in history class.

So who do you think this is?  I'll unwrap the second one and post it tomorrow.  


That's when I discovered I'm REALLY swimming up river.  I went to the big sewing room closet and pulled out two quilts to be quilted.  Wasn't I surprised when I got to the machine ... they were ALREADY quilted.  I went back to the closet again and again to find not just one or two, but FIVE that need binding sewn on.  That's done by hand!  Good grief ... I'm swimming up a RAGING river!  

I finally found one lone quilt that hasn't been run through the machine.  I guess it will wait until I get a few of these finished.  This requires sitting on the couch, which I'm not all that good at.  


That is evidenced by this picture.  When the pup gets 1/4" from your nose, it's play time.  He gets this excited happy look on his face that cannot be denied.  Though multiple thoughts of things I needed to get done were racing around in my brain, all I did was throw the ball for an hour.  How could I resist that face?


I really do have a big honey-do list, but like any usual husband would do (or so the wives tell me), I'm procrastinating.  It's just so much more fun to see this quilt materialize than it is to swim upstream against the tide of listed items.  I promise today I will get my rig solar panels cleaned. 

In the meantime, I finished four more squares and that piano key at the right.  That's what it's called in quilting land.  I think I have eight of those to go and I'm still not even close to sewing them all together.  It's not going to be easy since this is a king sized quilt.


Trying to get at least one thing off my list, I spent two hours on the computer trying to update the Golden Spike RV Group list.  I sent out one notice of dues, which resulted in five people sending checks.  That's when I discovered the computer list of members and the google groups list of members are not the same.  

All this time they have been kept up by two different people who never crossed paths.  The next thing I know, it's 3 hours later and I still don't think I have it correct.  Google groups lists everything by the first name ... and I can't seem to change it.  It doesn't help that I'd rather do anything else in the world but straighten this out.

And so I went right into fixing dinner.  I'm always swimming uphill in this department.  I was really craving a nice stew, but I only had chicken.  Why not make a chicken stew the same way??  My advice is NO ... do NOT do that. 

Yeah it looks pretty good here, but when I added the rice, it all went south.  It turned into the biggest glop of food you've ever seen.  I don't know what happened to my cooking skills ... but like Elvis, they have definitely left the building.


Yes I ate it and now have an entire crock pot full of it.  I don't even think Kitty Kitty or the Foxy Twins will eat this!!  I'll try not to be wasteful, but I have a feeling most of it will end up in the trash.  I do better with salads ... open the bag, pour out!!

Which reminds me ... I just had a salad with sweet onion dressing.  It's kind of a Cole slaw dressing that I would love to get my hands on.  It's like the Dutch salad dressing I had with Barbara and Tom Westerfield somewhere back east.  Do you remember that Barbara?  I found the recipe once, but have since lost it in internet land.  Does anyone have something similar????

And so ended another day of swimming.  Hopefully today will be much more fruitful.






26 comments:

  1. You gotta be loving that cooler weather! That portrait is cool, but it looks so big, what will you do with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool is definitely good!! I actually have wall space in the new living room with the whorehouse furniture. I think both of them will look good there, versus hanging next to the rodeo posters!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Actually I did hold the couch down for a couple of hours.

      Delete
  3. Nancy you have a job finishing those beautiful quilts.
    Enjoy that cooler weather.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will go pretty fast if I put my mind to it!!!

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of hand stitching to finish those quilts! You'll manage, in time. Life is too short to always be 'working' on stuff so good for sweet-faced Cooper for getting you to play. ♥ That stew looks good to me! What's wrong with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsy that stew came out like the solid paste you used in grammar school. Remember that big jar of white stuff? It probably would have been good if I left the rice out.

      Delete
  5. The quilts are looking good, but there is always another one to do.
    Cooper seems to be his normal self again.
    You can always freeze the leftover stew in small portions. Than, you can adjust the taste by seasoning each time.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooper is doing well considering he lost most of his front teeth, poor baby. And yes, I think the stew will be frozen.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Ok, I will confess...I used Google's Image Finder (search by image), although I had seen pictures of Jackson before and I thought it could be him.

      Delete
    2. I guess I'm behind the times. I've never used image finder before, but yes ... the consensus is Stonewall Jackson.

      Delete
  7. We found this in Gettysburg. Remember the restaurant just a couple of blocks from downtown Gettysburg? I think we went 2-3 times during our visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh ... I remembered the street and the restaurant - I can even picture it - just not what town it was in. The food was wonderful!!

      Delete
  8. I can't help you with a recipe for the sweet onion dressing but we like the Sweet Valdalia Onion dressing that Ken's Dressings makes. It's a creamy dressing and I think it also comes in Lite. Would be interested in seeing the recipe for the one you had if you do get it from someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at that brand but didn't buy it. It sounds like I better go back and give it a try. If I find the recipe, I'll post it.

      Delete
  9. It's a print of Stonewall Jackson. Value: $40 - $80.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug ... I appreciate the info. Now for the second picture ... coming up today.

      Delete
  10. Mr. Ed said to make a long story short

    At the beginning stages, Union troops wore gray while many Confederates sported the color blue—in fact both armies could be seen in a wide array of colors like yellow, green, black, red or even orange. Confusion on the battlefield led Union troops to settle on the color blue instead of gray. Also, a lot of the confederate soldiers didn’t wear uniforms at all

    https://www.ducksters.com/history/civil_war/military_uniforms.php

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For real .... how would you know that you weren't shooting your own men? That was a sad time in our history. So many men lost on the battlefield.

      Delete
  11. I am looking forward to seeing the quilt you are working on completed. You know what, I think Cooper has the right idea; playtime is a good thing. Nothing is going to run away it will get done when it gets done. Enjoy the moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever doesn’t get finished today will still be there tomorrow, and tomorrow’s tomorrow, and so on…

      Deb

      Delete
    2. Correct on both counts!!! It surprises me how much I put off until tomorrow ... or tomorrow again! LOL

      Delete