Friday, January 22, 2021

Not A Gully Washer

Morning brought rain to the desert.  There's nothing like that smell of wet mesquite trees while drinking my coffee.  Add to that an occasional bird tweet from the bushes and it's a perfect morning.  

It didn't stay that way however, as boredom quickly set in.  I sewed, cleaned, puppy played and sewed some more.  Time to get out!!  Cooper was making me crazy.

As you know, he rarely (if ever) goes more than a quarter mile.  Although a little slow on my gravel road, he hit his pace on the pavement with me barely able to keep up.  Apparently there are LOTS of good smells because we stopped probably one hundred times.  

I'm pretty leery of that since there could be snakes and bad critters lurking in the bushes that he demands be smelled and of course marked.  SO many good smells.

Surprisingly, we walked all the way to the Chance house without me becoming a taxi.  


Yes I've contemplated that water valve replacement every other minute but haven't gotten up the nerve to try it.  Mr. Chance volunteered his plumbing expertise, which he asserts is not his forte.  This should be good, right?  Not one but TWO unexperienced plumbers trying to change one little valve.  At least I can hold my hand over the hose to keep water from coming out while Dan runs to the store, or vice versa.

This is his latest project with his handy dandy backhoe.  Concrete will be poured sometime next week to keep the driveway from washing out with those gully washers.  Surprisingly, it's cheaper than asphalt.

As you can see the sky above, it was getting blacker and blacker.  I didn't want to get caught on the walk home, not being able to run because I would be carrying Cooper who hates getting wet.  I made it just in time.  It wasn't a really big rain, but steady enough for long enough to give the desert a nice drink.  Luckily the temperature stayed in the 40's so there was no snow.

Dinnertime came quickly as I prepared the latest recipe from Every Plate.  Moo Shu Beef.  The picture looked fabulous and my mouth was watering.  Sadly, it did not meet my expectations in the flavor department.  The Thai chili disappeared completely into rice and hamburger. 

This looks like a tiny amount, but only because the bowl is huge.  I was trying to make it look like I didn't really use paper plates and bowls every single day, even though I do.  Maybe the next recipe for parmesan chicken will be better.

There were 22 images on the critter cam, including lots of rain.  Mostly it was the pack of coyotes that come by around 7:30 every night and again at 5:30 every morning.  Watch closely for the eyes in the bushes.  It's fun how I can recognize them by their behavior now.  I'm not sure why they are so skittish since they have no predators here.  But then again, there's MAN who probably chases them off.  Maybe I'll let them try leftover Moo Shu Beef!!


Time to clean the house before Mr. Chance and my Quilting Guru arrive so they don't think I live like a hoarder.  


12 comments:

  1. If anyone asks, you could just say that it is your version of the 'Fountain Hills World Famous Fountain'...you can call it the 'Lost Horse Ranch Fountain' (perhaps one day it too could be 'World Famous'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that Cooper had a nice walk. we love the smells in the desert after a rain as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop needs to get out more with me attached to the other end of the leash.

      Delete
  3. Wow that's a lot of concrete Dan is getting! Ken is very jealous!! LOL..That MooShu Beef looks amazing! Love the rain and the smells. Cooper is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the picture makes it look like more concrete than will really be required. I'm with Ken!!! Concrete is always so neat and clean looking.

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised concrete is less expensive. Much better than asphalt for maintenance. I need to clean house. If I wait for company I'll be covered in sand, dust and hair. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Doug ... we do think alike!!! I am definitely not Miss Neat and Tidy.

      Delete
  5. Cute about Cooper and his smells. you know that puts me in mind of someone else. :)
    Love the critters eyes on your cam. I said to Bill, they maybe see a light on your camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camera light is infra-red, so it makes their eyes glow like zombies!!

      Delete
  6. I do love the smells of the desert after a rain, also. Enjoying your trail cam videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to watch the habits of the critters. Thankfully it's coyotes and not snakes.

      Delete