Friday, January 8, 2021

Hiking Unprepared Is A No-No

 Anyone have a part time job I could hook up to??  It's more than obvious that I have to slow down on my quilting endeavors.  I took two large and two small quilts in to the shop yesterday morning and almost had a heart attack when they told me the price.  It's very close to a California house payment.  Shock I tell you, I went into shock.  

Sadly, there's no one else who does such a great job.  Now to figure out what I can cut out in order to PAY for it!  Hahahaha maybe it's time for that diet after all!

So off I drove to Saguaro National Park for the day hike I spotted on my All Trails Map App.  It was disappointing to find I could not download the directions without becoming a paid member.  No can do, I've got quilts to pay for.

Luckily, it was some kind of tourist day at the park (on a Thursday?) and there were gentlemen outside with loads of hiking and biking maps and directions.  It's a good thing, because where I thought the trail was and where it ACTUALLY was, were VERY far apart.


I arrived at the tiny parking area and found one spot left.  As I got out and gathered up my parts and pieces, I discovered I forgot to bring snacks.  No matter, that pizza I had for breakfast is still hanging around.  

Next I reached for the water.  Wait ..... uh oh ... I didn't BRING any water.  Not a single drop.  RATS!  I was more zeroed in on quilts than hiking.  Walking out into the desert with no water, even if it is 60 degrees and the trail is only a mile long, is a NO-NO.  

I struggled with the decision and finally gave up as I spoke to another nice couple from Iowa.  They told me of several more locations around Tucson for excellent hiking.  I wasn't giving up quite that easily however.  I drove around the big loop and took short hikes just off the roadway.

Sadly, with a terribly dry summer and no winter rains, most every large stand of prickly pear looked like this.  It's not a pretty sight to see acres and acres of dead and dying cactus.

There were a few bright lights, like this baby fishhook cactus, just three inches across, growing in the shadow of a dead tree.

When it grows up, it will have needles like these.  This is one I've never seen the javelinas eat.


I kept hearing a little quiet tweet here and there, but couldn't see anything.  Finally I spotted this beauty in the top of a tree far away.  I followed him as quietly as I could, trying to get close enough for a picture.   It took almost 30 minutes and I was still 30 yards away.    

I'm sure there are lots more critters hiding out, but I never saw any.  You would have to park out here at midnight to see the bunnies, deer and javelinas.  I scouted out several more trailheads for hiking, but by then it was 1:30 and too hot in levis to go more than a few feet, especially without water.  

This is a long shot of the eastern side of Tucson backed up against the Catalina Mountains (I think).  It looks to me like all the mountain ranges are the same, but every single one has a different name.

As you drive around, you come to Javelina rocks.  No use looking for javis, as I've never seen any here during the day.  It is a short walk up to and through the rocks to a nice viewpoint.

If you are hiking anywhere out here, especially this time of year and into the spring, watch for rattlesnakes.  That stick you want to step over just might bite you.  They don't always give you a warning.

You never know what other things you might find in the desert.  As I walked around the rocks back to the Jeep, I noticed this little monument.  I'm not sure if it's for someone who died, or the dead cholla.  Those are REAL fresh roses in a glass of water at the base.  

This is what it might have looked like.  This youngster is growing up in the middle of some brush.  I'm pretty sure THIS is what that COMB is needed for on the biking trail.

Here's a quick cowboy story about these little brutes.  My dad went out on Monkey Joe (I know, weird name for a horse) to check cattle and didn't come back.  We went looking.  We found him in a huge pile of cholla.  As he came down the hill, the horse's hind feet slid underneath a strand of old barbed wire.  

Monkey Joe went ballistic bucking on the side of the steep hill until my dad hit the bushes.  Joe didn't run off, he just stood there waiting for my dad to get up.  

Dad went to the hospital, not for broken bones, but to have the doctor take all those spines out of his back with a pair of pliers.  Can you just imagine???

Now VERY thirsty, only because I knew I didn't have any water, I headed on back to the house.  Here's my last tip on hiking, or just being out in the desert in general.  Wear cotton.  That nylon shirt I had on got very hot VERY fast.



9 comments:

  1. I would love to know the story of the roses :) Looks like you had a nice drive with a few little walks. Smart not to go out with no water. It is a beautiful park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so much prettier if we had just a little water. Things are looking pretty sad.

      Delete
  2. You need a shoebox size bug out backpack (nonperishable snacks mini first aid kit compass mirror Soft hat and ? ) an a hiking stick
    and a case of water and Gatorade ( be careful with Gatorade it has a shelf life) (In every vehicle) all the time Hiking or not Who knows you may need to add water to your car or help somebody that doesn’t have water it’ll never go to waste
    Did you ever noticed when you don’t have water you’re thirsty when you do have water you’re not thirsty But the lack of humidity Dehydrates u faster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Move to Florida if you’re only willing to trade scorpions for alligators an cockroach the size of a second car.. thanks for the homemade pizza 🍕it was great with 🍺

      Delete
    2. That's a very good idea .. to keep a bag in the Jeep with supplies. I certainly do drink tons more water when in the desert. Especially when I can't get the humidity in the house over 20!!

      Delete
  3. I also wonder about the roses. Your poor dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking they were for some ONE, since they weren't picked from someone's yard. They came from the market.

      Delete
  4. That's quite a story about your Pa!! Ouch! Monkey Joe was a good friend. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monkey Joe was his favorite horse for quite some time.

      Delete