Saturday, January 23, 2021

A New Hat Today!!

I don't think I have ever been so nervous about trying a new occupation.  Having water spray in my face is not on my bucket list.  I could only think of all the BAD things that might happen, including a flood of monstrous proportions that would ruin the oh-so-expensive particle board floors and cause a big hit to my checkbook.

I was extremely apprehensive since the last REAL plumber who came here said they never wanted to TOUCH those lines.  He never explained why.

I gathered all the necessary first aid supplies, along with a stack of towels and every wrench I had in the house.  Fearful that the hose would fall through the floor, meaning a terrifying crawl underneath into the depths of Spiderville and Scorpion town to retrieve it, I attached a wrench to the line and tightened it up.

Very gingerly, I turned the water main off.  Slowly .... slowly ... then went in the house and opened a faucet.  Wow .. that was quick, hardly any water at all came though the line.

Next up, flush the toilet.  There's no use mopping up all that tank water when I release the only thing between me and FLOOD!

First, the top line.  Well that was easy, I just unscrewed it with my fingers.  About a tablespoon of water escaped into the towel.  So far so good.  Next I unscrewed the old valve, took it out and screwed in the new one shown here.  

Last step .. screw the top line back on.  VOILA!!  I DID IT!!!!  All that worry and stress for nothing.  It was easy peasy.  But wait ... now comes the big test of my plumbing skills.  Turning the water back on.  I opened a faucet thinking maybe that would keep the pressure to a minimum and slowly, ever so slowly, turned the valve.  

I didn't hear any explosion or huge waterfall noise coming from the house.  In fact, there wasn't even a DROP of water anywhere.  Woohoo!!

Today I'm proudly wearing my PLUMBER hat!!  Even so, I run in the bathroom and check for leaks about every two hours.  So far so good!!


Around lunchtime I spent an hour with my Quilter guru, trying to figure out how to cut those blocks down.  She quickly pointed out that I did not cut the FIRST ones down according to directions, so they were bigger than the 4" required.  She suggested I take them apart and fix that little problem, until I told her I already had some 64 of them put together.  More on that disaster tomorrow.

In the meantime, every time I walked by the patio door, this gal would fly off.  I felt bad for scaring her six times a day.  I had no doubt she was NOT interested in the birdhouse.  For this picture I had to sit on the floor behind a chair in order to catch it before she flew off again.


 A little later I determined what she was REALLY after.  The hummingbird feeder.  This has to be the biggest hummer I've ever seen!  Actually, it's a Gila Woodpecker.  Their back feathers are amazing.

I was finally able to sneak around the door frame and capture her lapping up the syrup.  The critters around here never cease to amaze me.

In a few hours, even more frustrated by the quilt project, I ended up at Shirley's house trying to figure out how I can "fix" it.  A solution was decided upon, which did NOT include any tearing apart.  I'll post pictures tomorrow.  

I tried to hit the hay with my new Plumber Hat, but Cooper complained loudly.  It's hanging in the closet waiting for another day.  I wonder how hard it is to change out a kitchen sink??




18 comments:

  1. Ken and I both say "Good job!" That little bird is sure trying to get the sweet nectar! Bet she wishes she had a longer, thinner beak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting the same, though she sat there for 30 minutes and kept drinking.

      Delete
  2. YES!!! I love seeing women do this fix-it stuff on their own. Not that I've really done it (only changed out a kitchen faucet & a few of the easy cosmetic things on the toilet like the seat & the flush handle). But just yesterday I watched the vlog of a liveaboard YouTuber in England who recently broke up with her boyfriend & had to fix a huge plumbing leak on her boat. She put on a plumber's cap for the very first time to switch out all the valves & filters & whatnots - the entire assembly including electrical connections - by herself. She started out a little nervous, too, but did it like a boss & not only saved herself a small fortune in repair bills, she showed everyone else how to do it too by taping the repair. Pat yourself on the back, Nancy, both for doing it & showing the rest of us how to do it as well. We'd all rather spend the cash we'd have needed to pay a plumber on fun stuff instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... that girl did an amazing job!!! Plumbing are outrageously expensive. Much better to try and do it yourself in my book.

      Delete
  3. Great job on the plumbing project! You have so many hats you are going to need to build yourself a hat rack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Oh I don't know ... that was obviously a very simple plumbing project. I did change out a couple of faucets, but think it's much easier in a brick and stick house than in a modular.

      Delete
  4. Great job Nancy! I'm always afraid to mess with water pipes too. Now you can go out and party with all the money you saved 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug! Water pipes and electrical work is a challenge.

      Delete
  5. Thank God for YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvUuoY4veRA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!!!! I'm always surprised when I find videos of things I need to do.

      Delete
  6. Good job Nancy...now tell me, you need the entire sink replaced or just the faucet? Sink = talk to Dan...faucet = another Nancy job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Yes, the kitchen sink needs to be replaced, but that's some time down the road.

      Delete
  7. Good job Nancy, you did every right, easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill. Honestly it turned out to be MUCH easier than I was trying to make it!!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you deserve to keep that plumber's hat. What a cute little woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gila woodpeckers seem to be the ones that make the most holes in the saguaro. Love those guys!

      Delete