Sunday, January 17, 2021

Good Food - Good Friends

 One of the things I love about Mexico is the good food, tacos in particular.  Really good and true to form Mexican food is hard to find.  The further North you go, the worse it gets.  Having had the real deal from the wives of our construction crew who all hailed from Mexico, it's hard for me to get excited about Taco Bell.

THIS is the real deal.  I was introduced to this place by Cindy and Ray last year.  I was not about to miss it on this trip.  Meet Tacos El Cositas.  It's not exactly your five star restaurant, but the food is authentic.  


It's on the frontage road off Highway 8 just West of Foothill Boulevard.  If you head there at noon, you will have a very long wait in line, so go early.  They have tables for eating, or you can get it to go.  You order, you eat and THEN you pay.


The fish tacos are authentic with the best corn tortillas I've ever had.  Of course you can get flour if you wish.  Pile on chopped cabbage and your choice of three sauces PLUS salsa.  In spite of all the jalapeños I saw in the salsa, it was not really hot ... just enough.  Look for the big bull and park by the fence.



DELICIOUS!!!  I was a piggy!  I ate two for lunch and got two more for dinner.  Surprisingly they reheat VERY well.

I thought it might be good to give the puppies a little more shade before I headed out to the big town of Wellton to meet up with friends I met last year.  CRACK!!!  The strap broke.  Gosh I hate it when that happens.  Luckily I have another one in stock, just not the ladder to crawl up there.  Wouldn't you know, it's the biggest outside shade I have.  It may take some work to get it fixed, but it will have to wait until I get home.


I met Elva and Jerry Shannon quite by mistake.  In my home town, Jerry Shannon owns the pump repair and drilling business.  He did ALL our work at the ranch, so I knew him well.  When I saw the name on Facebook, I thought ... oh ... Jerry retired and got an RV.  

Or not.  I became Facebook friends and went to meet them.  Wasn't I surprised to find out it wasn't THAT Jerry Shannon.  THIS one has a beautiful wife named Elva who is as nice as they come.  You know how you just click with some people?  We met at the laundromat and yakked up a storm.  

This year they purchased a place in Wellton, just outside of Yuma.  It's karma ... who knew I would actually go visit them on the exact same day of the year as last time.

I was surprised to find Wellton is quite the agricultural community.  The green fields stretched for miles.


Like long lost friends, we caught up on everything and in a flash, two hours had passed.  Time to head back and check on the puppies.  

We made a date to meet up on the same day next year.  It's tradition now!!

Good food and good friends.  The best way to end my stay in Yuma.  Sadly I have to say goodbye to Cindy, Ray and Penny also.  I'm packing up and heading out this morning, along with a few stray ants that have become my newest pets.  Every morning I find a few more waiting for breakfast.


12 comments:

  1. How great that you got to meet up with Elva and Jerry again. :) Good idea about the new tradition!
    Those fish tacos look good, we've never had them but they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are exactly the same as the tacos we get in Algodones. Fresh fish and tasty tortillas.

      Delete
  2. Do you know the origin it’s very interesting

    https://thehealthyfish.com/who-invented-fish-taco/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is they are delicious. The corn tortillas have more flavor than any I have ever tried.

      Delete
  3. Glad you were able to meet your friends and spend quality time with them.
    Tacos look tasty.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to meet people that think like you do.

      Delete
  4. Oh I can see why you raved about the fish tacos. Those looked awesome. That's funny about the mix up on Jerry Shannon. I have a Facebook friend, Samantha, that I met the same way..... mistaken identity! When I realized I had the wrong person I told her but we just laughed about it. She even came to visit us and brought her kids. Have a safe trip. Hopefully the ants won't like Vail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping the ants for pets now. Think I'll start an ant farm!!

      Delete
  5. Interesting story of how you and the "other" Shannon's met. And the deja vue of your second meeting. Pardon my french 😀 I'm sorry I missed you in Yuma but the winter is still young. Have a safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a small world, not too often do you meet someone with the same name. I'm sure glad I did!! Maybe I'll see you at Empire.

      Delete
  6. I just made a note so we can find the Fish Tacos next time we are in the Yuma area. Great story about how you met Elva and Jerry. Nothing like a special tradition with a friend. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll like them Deb. I do love a hole-in-the-wall place with good food. The best part, none of the sauces are too hot.

      Delete