Sunday, January 3, 2021

Meanwhile In Chilly Arizona .....

 Happy New Year!!!  I celebrated by having my first sundae of the year for breakfast.  Forget those black eyed peas, THIS is what makes for good luck ... ice cream!  It just happens to be homemade maple, a taste of Canada (I'm hoping this will help open the borders, eh?) smothered in caramel sauce, although you can't see it very well.  Yes, I still have half a can of whipped cream left!!!


 I knew I would be eating Tums later, so while I still felt okay, I cooked up some chicken for Cooper.  Thanks to Miss Patty, I discovered the $1.99 a pound chicken at Safeway in their meat counter, instead of the $6.99 Foster Farms stuff.  What a savings!!


 New Year's Day I made a quick trip to town.  You know I'll do anything to improve my cooking skills.  I've been eyeing these gadgets for some time, trying to decide if I wanted to actually try one.  With sale upon sale and another 20% off for good luck, I finally took a chance.  Boy am I glad I did!!


 If all this thing does is reheat my pizza to perfection like this, it's worth every penny.  So this thing can go from dehydrator to 500 degree screaming hot grill in eight minutes.  It takes my oven 30 minutes to get to 350.  It roasts, bakes, grills, dehydrates and air frys.  The air fryer selection reheated this pizza to a crispy tasty piece of magnificence.  You can bake cakes and casseroles in a fraction of the time.


 That meant ANOTHER trip to the store to buy things I can cook in it ... like sweet potato fries and salmon.  I'll let you know how it goes.

In other great news, the humidifier has worked like a charm.  So far I have only been hit twice by those long blue lines of electricity when reaching for a light switch.  I was seriously beginning to think my house had a bad short in the wiring.  Now if I can only find a hygrometer to tell me the levels of moisture, I'll be in like Flynn.

With not much else on my calendar at the moment, I finished up this quilt for the puppies.  It's made with mostly scraps, although I did have to buy backing.  Too bad the quilt stores don't have after Christmas sales like the department stores.  They have in fact RAISED their prices.


 For all my Canadian friends that couldn't make it down south to Arizona this year, you aren't missing much.  The days have been in the 60's, but it's freezing most every night.  Occasionally we get a 70 degree day, but it's been rare, like my good cooking days.  

I have been exploring mountain bike paths on my phone and hope to check them out this trip.  Maybe I should practice a little first around my neighborhood.  I have read the most important tool to take with you is a comb.  A comb???  Yes ... to comb all those cactus spines out of your legs.  Maybe I should find an asphalt trail instead.

Anyway, here is a video of those crazy rabbits.  I thought they slept all night in the bushes.  Boy was I wrong!!  They are out ALL NIGHT LONG, like a teenager with their first car!!  It's interesting they always leave before the coyotes arrive.   As soon as the troop passes through, they are back at the water station.  Being a bunny must be a thirsty business!!


I'm off to find filters for my heater/ac unit.  I could order them online, but I'd rather support a local business.  Besides, it gets me out of the house.


10 comments:

  1. Did a search on why distilled water in humidifier...we always just used water when I lived in Utah. Anyway, it says: "Distilled or demineralized water has less mineral content than regular tap water. When used, these water types make your humidifier less likely to expel white mineral dust into your indoor air – and less likely for that dust to invade your lungs." Now for a horse girl who has breathed in dust all her life....just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah ... probably doesn't make a difference, right? This could get expensive if I used only distilled water.

      Delete
  2. I love the quilt! Lucky puppies! Glad the humidifier is working for you. We keep a kettle on our wood stove but doesn't seem to help the hubby..Karen, next door is getting shocked like crazy too along with static electricity in her hair..lol..Ninja certainly makes great products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water on the wood stove is the perfect solution, except I have no wood stove!! It's rather weird how some people can be so affected by electricity.

      Delete
  3. Garden section at Lowe’s / Home Depot. https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP49-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Temperature/
    Pick yourself up a tenderloin or a ribeye Air fry cook it for six minutes 👍👍👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha .... I should have gone to Home Depot!! I would love a tenderloin, but boy are they pricey right now with New Year's and all.

      Delete
  4. Doing like Shirley having open pots of water will naturally add moisture to the air.
    We hardly have any static electricity in the apartment because there's no carpeting. Coming from the Elevator to our door is a killer.
    Nice job on the Quilts.
    Looks like the Bunnies had a lookout for safety.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your Ninja.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it ... the carpet!! It can really zing me!!

      Delete
  5. What is that new gadget actually called? I have no more room for any other appliances but my sister bought something that does what the IP does plus (I think) and air frys.
    Nice quilt and glad Cooper got a good deal on chicken. :)
    Love the bunny video, is the watchful eye another bunny or a coyote?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - thank you for trying to appease us Canadians BUT Bill and I would take the 60 daytime temps and 'freezing' nighttime temps over our 36F daytime and 26 or less overnight. :)

      Delete