Friday, January 29, 2021

Another New Experience ... So Fun!!

I thought when I left California, I would be done with the "rules and regulations" and would reside in the Wild West.  Close, but no cigar!  After several phone calls, I discovered my Jeep would require an emission test before it could be registered in Arizona.  

As you know, I already made ONE trip deep in the heart to find the place closed, even though their website (and the lady on the phone) said they were open.  Yesterday I decided to try again.

Wasn't I surprised as I rounded the corner and saw a long line of cars ..... waiting.  This will be no 28 second gunfight at the OK corral.  I pulled into line.  Although I thought I counted 15 cars ahead of me, turns out it was 32.  Big sigh.  Trouble was, the longer I waited, the more nervous I got. 


You see I had no idea what was required.  Do they need paperwork?  Do they need proof of my address?  After 45 minutes of wondering, I finally got out and walked to the car behind me.  I tapped on the window.  Luckily he was a nice guy who informed me I needed absolutely NOTHING but $12.25.  I felt like I had won the lottery.

I did get a kick out of the NO PARKING sign as the line now went clear down the street and around the corner behind me.  Much more relaxed, I waited patiently until it was my turn.

I'm not sure how this is an emissions test.  The nice man plugged in to my car computer and tested the gas cap.  That was it.  No stick up the tailpipe like in California, which I suppose is a good thing.  I paid, got my little piece of paper and was out the door 80 minutes later.  My appointment for registration is next week.  

It was significantly weird as I left 25 mph winds and freezing cold at home, to drive out of the facility now  too warm for a coat, with funny looking clouds and not a breath of wind.  I picked up my four quilts that cost an arm, a leg and four fingers on my right hand before heading to the local Bank of America.

That was another new experience.  The doors were locked tight, even though people were inside.  I wandered through the drive-up, hoping for some indication of how to make a deposit ... of cash.  Checks?  Easy peasy, just do it on your phone.  Some how they don't seem to want to do that with pictures of cash.

At MY BofA in my little town, they actually have envelopes you put the cash in and stick in the slot that eats everything.  No envelopes here!!  It said "insert cash", so I put in one $20 bill.  "Complete deposit?"   Uh no, I've got a handful here.  

Thinking this was going to take forever putting in one bill at a time, it finally said I could put 73 bills in at once.  It should have told me that in the first place!!  A very long ten minutes later, my deposit was finally made for $380, not the $400 I had stuck in the mouth of the beast.  I was ready to break down the door when it spit out a receipt, adding the two deposits together.  Ok then!!  Now I know!!

Finally back home, having put my coat back on because it's still freezing and blowing, I felt proud I actually accomplished TWO things in one day.  Woohoo!  I went back to sewing until dinnertime.

Here's the latest Every Plate stir fry.  Not my favorite, and in fact, I'm pretty sure my subscription will be cancelled.  I mean really, even "I" could come up with THIS dinner idea.  

Served over rice in more of my best dishware, it was just okay.  I think I'll go back to tacos.

Here's the banana bread recipe in case you want to try it.  I used to spend a lot of time on Maui where this sort of thing is sold on every corner.  This original recipe, three generations old, came from the far side of the island, way back off the highway in a tiny hole in the wall.  I was extremely lucky she shared her recipe with me, I think because I would buy her out completely every time I visited. 

Since Mike Rowe stopped by and told the world about it on his show, they have changed up the recipe.  I do love this one, as does Jonathan (the parrot who turns 47 years old this year).  He has a sweet tooth just like me.

Try as I might to show the video of the quail for Jan and Bill Mains, blogger thinks the file is too big.  I'll work on that one.  In the meantime, my lone Javi showed up again.



15 comments:

  1. I don't hate too many things, but I HATE ATMs and I double HATE BofA. Can't imagine putting in a large sum of cash into a machine hoping that it says you put in what you put in. Of course, the careful doubter that I am, I take a picture of my Quarterly tax check as I put it in the mailbox each quarter just in case I need to show the IRS that I mailed it in on time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice getting those things out of the way.
    Emissions testing has changed over the years. They expect the car's Computer to tell the truth.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the cooler temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's ridiculous about the emissions! So glad we don't have to do that here! The big counties yes, but not ours yay! I don't put cash in very often and the first time I used one without an envelope, I worried but all was good. Very nice of you to share your banana bread recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! In California we have to do emission testing, but you go to a local business, so there are never any lines. On the other hand, it takes three times as long for the test to be completed!! LOL

      Delete
  4. Since Covid 19 hit I have not been to a bank. But I will soon have to. I'm not looking forward to it. Your emissions test....there was a time we were considering Tucson for our winter home. But Jerry didn't want to deal with smog testing so we picked an area that didn't require the testing. But, other than waiting in line, that was really easy. Hope today is another good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS easy ... unlike California. If you can find a bank that is OPEN it's much better. At least you know how much money went in!! That BofA account is the only one I have to go to in person.

      Delete
  5. I don't remember ever having an emissions test in Illinois 😀 I like the idea of photo cash deposits. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be slick? Photo your cash, then go spend it somewhere else! LOL. I don't think many states have emission tests.

      Delete
  6. We had emission testing like you are describing at one time, now they just hook up to the vehicles computer to see if any codes show, if they do, it's a failure. only the lowest part of Ontario has to have it, the rest of us don't.
    Always something new in banking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's due to all the millions of cars in California, but that's not true in Arizona. I wonder what codes it would pick up?

      Delete
  7. When we decided to become residents of South Dakota we were able to register our vehicles, with the help of our mail service, through the mail. Could not have had asked for an easier process. Plus, way handed over way less money then we had previously handed over to Michigan.
    Looking forward to the end result with your quilt squares.
    I thought the whole depositing of a check with a picture online was great but cash now that would really be great...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure South Dakota and states like Montana have nothing of the emissions thing. It seems to be Democratic states, yes??

      Delete