Sunday, April 19, 2020

The Belle Of The Ball

I certainly didn't think that would be a lake, but sure enough, Pena Blanca Lake was called the Belle of the Ball when it was completed in 1958.  It's a reservoir with 45 acres surface area, although at one time it was larger, and one of the oldest and smallest near the Mexican border.  Take Highway 19 down towards Nogales.
For over forty years there was a resort facility here, but we saw no evidence of it.  It's just you, wildlife, hiking trails and nature.  There are picnic tables, benches for your sitting pleasure and lots of fish to catch.  You will even find two camping areas.
In 1993 they discovered a minor crisis.  Sadly, they did not catch the problem sooner.  Rains had washed over mine tailings in the surrounding mountains, contaminating the water with mercury.  In 1999 mine tailings were dug up and over 1,000 tons of contaminated soil removed.  It will take some time to completely return to normal, but in the meantime, they have the biggest bass in the country for your fishing pleasure.  
It's all catch and release at this point since it's probably still not a good idea to eat the fish.  We sat and had lunch here at one of the picnic shelters.  It was quite and an absolutely gorgeous setting.  There are even concrete walkways around some of the areas and steps down to the water's edge.
Who knew there were lakes in the desert??  The mercury is receding and they hope to be back to eating the fish you catch very soon.

Here's my latest acquisition in my quest to become a better Chef.  Jeffrey Eisner is not a chef at all.  He's just a nice Jewish boy who took to the Instant Pot like a pro.  He had so many Facebook fans and so many good recipes, he was encouraged to write a cookbook.  

It just came out for $15.98 on Amazon, so I ordered a copy.  I'll let you know how it goes.
In the meantime, while scrounging around the kitchen looking for something to do, I discovered I had all the ingredients to make another cake.  THIS time the frosting came out MUCH better.  Dark chocolate chocolate with a shot of chocolate!!  I even made a half size version for the Chance household.  Half size because they are not as addicted to sugar as I am!!
Here's the prince of the ball as far as I'm concerned.  They are so sweet and angelic when they are sleeping.  Then he wakes up and wants to be entertained for the next four hours!  Throw the ball Mom!!!
I did something silly last night.  I volunteered to cook dinner for the Chance house and myself after watching Chef Simon (Food Network) on Facebook.  Many of the TV Chefs are doing this for free from their homes.  AT&T thinks I'm on my phone constantly and has sent threatening messages.  They are right, but sadly for them, I have an unlimited cell data account.  Let the megabytes add up!!!

At any rate, he cooked a beautiful sort-of-Italian beef dish that I'm going to try and create.  It's an experiment, right?  I have pizza on speed dial, just in case.






16 comments:

  1. OH my Gosh!!! What a gorgeous cake and chocolate to boot! How awesome that would taste w my morning coffee!! What a great lake, beautiful. Is there camping there too? Can't wait to see how dinner turns out. We get those messages from Verizon, and we have unlimited too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we do think alike Shirley!! Cake for breakfast ... my favorite!

      Delete
  2. Using the Chances' for your dinner experiments now. They are brave.:)) That cake does look delicious. Thanks for taking me to Penaa Blanca Lake. Your little Prince looks alot like our Princess Fergie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are brave, especially when you consider how many disasters I have had!! I bet Fergie is a doll!!

      Delete
  3. Don't know if you have ever heard of Cherie & Chris of Technomadia, they are experts for RVers and Boaters (they have both) pertaining to tech stuff, especially what is going on with cell phone plans. They have said that both AT&T and Verizon 'have' shut a few people down for using too much unlimited data. I doubt during this Coronavirus time period that they will shut anyone down, but it is something you need to know. They publish much of the cell phone info at their other website called Mobile Internet Resource Center. Just don't ignore those 'warnings' if you get one, they have taken action against others.

    Links: technomadia.com and rvmobileinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good info ... my AT&T plan is probably 25 years old, so really, they can't shut me down. They might try to SLOW me down a little though. One time they did however, I think you mentioned because I was using Native American towers instead of AT&T. How was I supposed to know that?

      Delete
  4. Great looking cake!!! Do you ship? Haha.
    I enjoyed the photos today, very spring like, warm and inviting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone can make that cake. Believe it or not, it's a box mix, adding in two tablespoons of mayo and 1-1/2 tablespoons dark cocoa. It's mighty tasty!!

      Delete
  5. Chocolate chocolate with a shot of chocolate. Oh my.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can you go wrong with chocolate and an extra shot of chocolate. It looks delicious.
    Children and furry children all have that in common, the angelic look of sleep. I think that is so we can quickly forget what little stinkers they can be when they are awake...LOL The lake and surrounding area do look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly Deb!!! I think most of my Cooper pictures are of him asleep!! LOL

      Delete
  7. That's a lovely lake. There is a park, Agua Caliente, that is out by the base of Mt. Lemon. I can't tell from their website if it's open or not. Anyway, if you're out in that area, it's worth a look to see water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison. I will look it up. It would make a nice drive.

      Delete
  8. It is a beautiful lake and until it is cleaned up, a fun way to spend an afternoon with the catch and release.
    The cake is making me want to bake! It's sunny today so not sure if today is the day though. :) Yummy!
    Oh that little sweetheart, curled up in a ball. Pure innocence. haha
    Good luck with dinner, it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wish there were doggy sleeping pills. He's so sweet when he's asleep!!!!!

      Delete