Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Take a Hike In An Alien Forest

I really wasn't trying to kill off either of us.  It just seemed that way by the end of yesterday.  I knew Doug was a hiker and there was this trail to a cemetery and the Grand Central Mill ruins in Fairbank Arizona.  I invited him to go take a hike.  

I admit, I was riding in the back of the BAT (big a$$ truck) and it didn't seem NEAR this far out.  I hoped Doug didn't mind because at least the scenery was beautiful.  

We arrived just in time to see a couple of workmen having lunch, although it was about 10:30.  I asked if we might just take a peak in the building.  I don't think they spoke much English and we took full advantage.
I'm just going to show a couple of images to whet your appetite.  Since Doug and I took mostly the same pictures, I'll let him post the story of our dreadful trip through the alien infested forest and the snake den.  I'm not talking about the snake oil salesmen den either.  

So THIS is inside the Mercantile building.  There was lots of pink paint and very old wallpaper still hanging on the walls.  
This side is the saloon.  They saved this building just in the nick of time.  The walls made of adobe were pretty much ready to fall.  With all this bracing to hold them up, I doubt the inside will ever be opened up to the public.  I feel privileged we were able to get the few quick pictures we did from one end of the building to the other.  
The hike was MUCH longer than the sign said, I'm sure of it, but we saw more than I anticipated.  The cemetery was fascinating as was the huge remnants of the ore processing mill.  We're lucky we escaped with our lives before being eaten up by worms.  I kid you not, it was the weirdest hike I've ever been on in my entire life.  Thank goodness they thought Doug was more tasty than me.

I'll work on all 132 images today after taking a handful of aspirin.  By the time we were heading back, I was exhausted.  I gave most of my water to Yuma, that sweet puppy dog.  If Doug would look the other way, I think I would take Yuma home with me.  At any rate, we survived, if maybe a little worse for wear. 

Round two .... another hot dog for dinner ... and only SIX more to go.  Honestly, I think this is the perfect dinner.  You've got your meat, your veggies (pickles) and potatoes.  What could be better?
I didn't get the amazing sunset Doug did, or rather I was just too darned tired to head outside.  I did get a few images of the moon, but those too will have to wait.  
I'll be on the couch for the next four hours recuperating.

Day 28






8 comments:

  1. Worms? eek that sounds nasty!
    Yuma is indeed a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were ... caterpillars I think. But the numbers of them were scary!!

      Delete
  2. Glad you went with Doug exploring. Always safer to travel with a companion in case something happens.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the solitude.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, safety in numbers, however I don't usually have someone to hike with.

      Delete
  3. Can you put a link to Doug's blog? Thanks. I want so see the snake pit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure can. I'll put it on today's blog. I should have done that yesterday.

      Delete
  4. Great article and pictures Nancy. I don't know how you could be tired with me lagging behind so much :)) very unique hike and I'll be sure to put closeups of our squirmy friends and give the gory details. Thanks for inviting Yuma and I along. We enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding? You and Yuma are what got me back to the car!! It was fun, except for the creepy crawlies!! LOL Thanks for going with me!!

      Delete